Installing an aftermarket temp gauge

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to install an aftermarket temp gauge into my 1997 Dodge Ram with 8.0 engine. I was wondering where do I hook it up to on the engine. Is it where the stock sensor sending unit is threaded in on top of the thermostat housing? I someone could give me some info, I would really appreciate it. Thanks and have nice day

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
An aftermarket temp gauge comes in two types. One that is mechanical and the other is electronic. You will want the electronic one

Your truck should have two temperature sensors. One sends the coolant temp to the PCM, and the other sends the temp to the gauge. You want to replace the one that goes to the gauge with the electronic gauges sending unit. The temp sender that sends to the gauge will have ONLY ONE terminal in it! That's the one you want to replace. Exactly where it is on the engine I don't know unfortunately because I don't have a V10. but that should help you identify it.

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
I know exactly where the stock temp gauge sending unit is. It is actually pretty conveniently placed on the top of the thermostat housing which is right on top of the engine. I have never installed aftermarket gauges before and I have not had a chance to go to an auto store yet. Do aftermarket gauges come with different fittings for attachment?

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Some do, some don't. If it doesn't, you can get adaptors fairly easily, they are probably NPT threads. Just take your current sensor or have the parts store grab one off of the shelf.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Being a gasser, I would keep the factory one hooked up.
Pretty sure it'll change timing and fueling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
Being a gasser, I would keep the factory one hooked up.
Pretty sure it'll change timing and fueling.

On his it won't. There are two temp sensors. One sends to the PCM the other to the gauge. If he gets the gauge sensor it won't affect the engine at all as the PCM gets it's signal from the other sensor.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Wasn't sure.
Have a little bit of Chrysler experience, just not newer trucks.

aofarrell2

Turbo Desirous
Reaction score
In 1998.5 they went to one sensor, as that is when they got the new PCM, interior, etc.

Some 1994 trucks used only one sensor as well, but they are rare.

Sent from my HTC Hero S using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx