What to buy? 7.3 or 5.9 12v or 24v

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
Hello, I have been looking into buying another diesel truck lately. I have an old Ford 6.9 diesel right now that I use as a plow truck right now and also a Dodge 8.0. It is not a diesel but it has diesel power. I have always been a Cummins fan and also an older Powerstroke fan. If I buy another diesel truck, it is going to be a pre-EGR diesel. I work on semis with EGRs all the time and I know they can be a hassle. I have been looking at the Cummins 5.9 12v and 24v and also the Powerstroke 7.3. I have heard many good things about each of these engines and I have heard cons about them. Same as every other car out there. I am curious to hear other's opinions on these. I looking forward to reading them. Thanks and have nice day

eldridge754

Reaction score
If you are going the 7.3 route, there is the Powerstroke and of course the IDI. Not a whole heck of a lot goes wrong with either version. If you want a simple and reliable old engine, can't go wrong with the IDI. Definitely try and find a turbo 7.3 IDI. The additional power is a nice touch from the naturally aspirated one. By no means are they power houses though. Just a good ole reliable engine that is simple and easy to repair. A 7.3 Powerstroke on the other hand makes a significantly better amount of power. Of course the power didn't just appear and there were many technological advancements to achieve an increase in numbers. Because of those advancements there are more avenues for failure and they are a step more complicated than its IDI predecessor. Again, though, not a whole lot that goes wrong. Main problems are leaks that need to be properly diagnosed so you don't spend unnecessary money. The injectors on the Powerstroke are nearly bullet proof. Like any injector, they won't last forever but they are incredibly durable in terms of what can be run through them (metal, dirt, etc.) and they continue to actuate properly. Both 7.3s share nearly the same internals and major components because the IDI was the starting base for the Powerstroke. That being said, it doesn't mean parts are interchangeable. In many cases they're not and have slight variations that prevent them from working. The 7.3s are just solid engines, IDI or Powerstroke, and with proper maintenance can easily see 400,000-500,000 miles. I'm not as savvy with the Cummins 5.9s (always been a Ford guy, but try to keep up with all diesels) but I do know they are both reputable engines. I have heard that the 12v is more reliable than the 24v, which makes sense because there are less moving parts. Power-wise I would assume the 24v is ahead there because of the improved airflow via the additional valves. Cummins has made a name for itself in the reliability world of diesels and I have seen many chalk up similar and sometimes higher mileage as the 7.3s. Both versions of the 5.9 are fairly simple and easy to work on until you get deep into the internals with the 24v. Just more going on inside of it. Another nice thing for the 5.9s are the amount of space you have to work with under the hood. An I6 is much easier to work on than those massive 7.3 V8s. When doing more significant repairs, there is less that has to be removed or maneuvered out of the way to work on the part you are replacing/repairing. Truck-wise, I would personally prefer the Ford. From my experiences they just seem to build the better all-around truck. 90's/Early 00's Dodges just seem to have automatic tranny woes. 90's Fords (especially the E04D) also seem to have automatic tranny problems. Dodge or Ford I would try and stick to a standard for reliability or an automatic for drivability. I see your 6.9 is a 4 speed, so if you don't mind owning a stick I would try and find one just because they tend to last longer than the autos. Like everything I post, these are just from my own experiences/knowledge/and opinions, so I'm sure there are people that will disagree with me. Hope this helps in your search though!

P.S.~ I have always used powerstrokehelp.com . Bill also has a YouTube channel that is a fantastic resource for any Powerstroke (7.3, 6.0, 6.4). Gives you TONS of free information that is not only from a reliable source, but also from hundreds of experiences. I know you're timid of the EGR engines, but if the proper steps and maintenance are taken they can become fantastic motors. 6.0s make some incredible power and aren't too bad on fuel if you can keep your foot out of it. I just love the way they sound (from Jet to Chewbaca) That's something I didn't really touch on before, but it's pretty obvious the I6s will do better than those large V8s. You CAN see 20+ out of either, but regardless the Cummins will get better mpg.

Last edited:

IDIPlowBoy

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your input. I have always been a Ford guy as well. I got turned onto Dodge because I have a '97 Ram 2500 with 257k on it that I bought cheap and it runs great. Not bad for a gas engine. I did though have the tranny problem because Dodge didn't build a tough enough one for the engine they mated to it. But other than that, it has run flawlessly. I do like the IDIs but I definitely want more power than they offer. My dad had a 6.0 and he had nothing but problems with it and it only had 100k on it. I am not timid of them, I just know if they are not working right they can cost a good deal of money. Thanks again for all of your input.

jordanjohngse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
heres my 02 cents. my ford went to heaven if you jump to the 6.9,7.3 idi forum youll see my post. the 7.3 idi/7.3 powerstroke are tough as nails. i put my through hell and even had duramaxes and common rails eyes wide open for what my did. if you want a all in one near equal across the board truck i vote ford (and being a certified mechanic for chrysler on the gas side and diesel junky for cummins for a shop in texas) thats saying something. ford has three major cons depending on package but little bit of love and some upgrades can fix them all three, first are glow plugs. most last some dont really hit and miss but its like 70$ for a whole sit and there actually more reliable cold start then block heaters in my opinion, e40d is same as what dodge has for auto, there good but only stock truck form, once tires and mods and heavy work comes into play both dodge auto and fords e40d will eventually give you some hard time. lastley for ford 7.3 idi is what some people are scared but easyiest fixed no tools required cavitation, your semi truck mechanic so you know what this is. for the powerstroke last year 03, the 02-03 i belive maybe 00 thats when ford stopped with forged steel connecting rods so when modifying for my power like the 500 hp range that became the next weak link but many go way above never had problems. for cummins with exeption of there autos unless built for 12v there main cons are the killer dowl pin, besides that just worry about the rest of the truck normal wear and tear and power making is easy and fun:) for 24 valve its the vp44 pump failing but a FASS pump solves that then its plug and play and some bolt on parts for power and our good to go. any question PM me or just quick reply

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online