68 chevy c10 6.5 td

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I am building a truck from the ground up here is the list. 95 6.5 diesel rebuilt, 18-1 comp, .030 milled off pistons/ceramic coated/teflon skirts, new hd heads, mech 93 6.5 ip 4911, ARP head studs, hx35 turbo, and new injectors 097s. Fully built t5 trans behind it. Lowered 3-6 all poly bushings/mounts/etc. Here are some pics of the truck build. I have many more if you want to see them let me know.
You must be registered for see images attach

I have a build thread on the 67-72 truck forum but not to many people interested. Thought people here might like to see maybe more love for the old idi detroits here.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sweet.
Pics are always wanted here.

Most any diesel retrofit will get attention here.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Keep the pics coming, I love the 67-72 trucks. My first truck was a 72 C-10 SWB that I did a "frame-on" sorts of restoration. I also was a very active member on the 67-72 forum years ago.

Looking forward to hearing/seeing more!

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are more pics. The motor will not be built tell after the first of the year.

Last edited:

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics when I was mocking it up.

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More mockup pics I had to modifiy left engine stand and in the previous pics I made the clutch linkage which I will have to redo. The cross bar is in the way of the oil cooler fittings.

Last edited:

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pics

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the newest pics still have to paint inside the grill and under the hood and I will then mount them. My plan is to have all the body back together by the end of this year.

bookite03

Nice Crummy
Reaction score
Hope that oil burner drops those fenders down and snugs them up on those tires...should ride nice. Do you plan on an intercooler too?

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O yes it will drop plus those tires are extreme low profile. I forgot to mention intercooler I'm going air to water. I thought about air to air but do not want to cut core support for lines. Also this truck will have ac and the cond needs to go up front. I will not be using a stand alone cooling system for the heat exchanger. It will be plumed in to the engine cooling system. I know most people are against this and for them I will explain why I am going to do it this way. First it is a cleaner looking and more reliable setup. Second as I already said I am going to 18-1 comp I will only be feeding 15 psi in it and only on occasion 20-22 max. Before I go to the third let me say that this truck is being built for reliability not racing and no towing. I want to be able to drive cross country get good mileage and no problems. You might think it is overkill but better to be safe then sorry so back to the list. Third I will be running a 160 deg therm in summer and 180 winter, 180 is better then 500 deg air. Fourth less pressure loss. I have not told all I plan to do to this truck it is a little scary typing it out almost makes your wallet fold up and turn to dust already lol.

Last edited:

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are my total plans. Air to water unit will be mounted were the battery used to be on the right front fender/core support corrner. Batteries will be mounted in the bed on the right front side two group 31s will have a cover over them also. 2/0 cable form batteries to starter then 4 gauge to the power distribute block. A total of 6 extra gauges (oil temp/trans temp/fuel psi/pyro/boost) the 6th gauge is nice it's an intercooler temp gauge has dual read outs for inlet and outlet temp. The inlet temp will be in the inlet of the air to water unit and the outlet temp right on top of the intake hat. Remote oil cooler with electric fan with thermo switch and manual overide switch. Oil cooler will be mounted to side of frame on the left under driver side seat out side of frame. Dual electric cooling fans with shroud also on thermo switch with overide switch. Now with all these electric fans and I just said I wanted reliabilty but I also want mpg so engine cooling fan is out. Ip cold adv wired to switch in shifter for top end. Exhaust will be 4" out of turbo down through right inner fender ran down under cab out side of frame rail and exit in front of rear tire. I wanted exhaust out from under truck and between frame rails so it would not hold heat. I will be making an interface to take the original 95 crank sensor in the front cover and using it for a tach. All exhaust ceramic coated. Most all lines will be hard lined. I will make alum tubing for rad tubes with short hoses on ends for rad/eng. The heater plumbing will be hard line from front of engine to the rear then AN line to firewall tee bulkhead fittings then hard line down the right fender into air to water unit. Will be using under dash heater/ac will use factory 95 ac comp and 68 cond and dryer. I will be replacing harmonic balancer with a fluidamper. Solid flywheel. Now for the truck parts. Interior will be black dash pad, black carpet, black kick panels with speakers, and black gas tank carpet. Firewall will have heat barrier insulation and noise barrier. I will be using 99 and up Silverado front seat stock gauges restored by me you know about the extra gauges. I made a panel that mounts under dash to hold all the extra gauges and switches. Dash is painted white same as the exterior all new rubber also. Tinted windows all around. Custom shifter that I will be making you will see pics. For the glove box there will be a electrical panel with an add on fuse block for the acc's, relays for the ac, fans, and glow plugs also a master circuit breaker. Now for the outside in the bed all lined with the liquid bed liner. Shaved bed stake pockets and side markers. All chrome grill trim, head light bezels, and bumpers will be replaced. New windshield and rebuilt vent windows. Stock rims painted white with good tires and smooth caps. I made the wiring harness under the hood and made some mods to it like take out the resistor wire for the coil. I will be making another harness for the add on's. I also got a one piece drive shaft for it. Convert to power steering. Last is what is already done. All brakes new, new drums all the way around, rebuilt wheel cylinders,and new master cyl. All new parking brake cables and guides. All new ball joints, control arm shafts, rear control arm poly bushings, new rear track bar poly bushings, new tie rod ends, new idler arm, and new pitman arm. All new poly cab mounts and bolts. New bed bolts both cab and bed are fully undercoated. All fuel lines installed. All new seals in the rear axle also new front hub seals. Trans rebuilt by me with mods to make it work in the truck. Smoothed firewall and removed factory heater I have already filled the bed stake pockets. All the cab body work is done fenders need minor work on the outside. Grill is ready to paint I will do that today.

I know this is a long post but want to put all of what I want to do out there. Ideas are always welcome. Thank you for looking.

Last edited:

marvgarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I scary everyone off with that long post? Or is everyone just chillin for the holiday?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just chilling.

I guess it's not a necessity, but have you considered swapping to disc brakes?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk