dually spacers

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anybody know where I can find spacers to put between my dual wheels so I can run a 265/75? I have searched high and low and only found one place that has them, and they wanted over $400! I don't need any that are gold plated, regular old steel or aluminum would be fine.

DetroitDan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked them out, and for some reason cant find the application I want to order online. It looks like they are around $95 each. I tried to email them several times for a quote and some info, but my email wont go through. It happened to me the other day and I thought it was who I was emailing, but now I think its me. Gotta try to figure out why everything I send comes back.
thanks for the info.

Jake2670

Reaction score
ok, I'm going to revive this old thread n case anyone has new info but I have a diff angle, saw the other day some guys talking of taking the bud wheels off n running reg ole 16s, not sure about spacers but think b needed. any thoughts or knowledge

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What? That made like no sense at all! The spacers are there so you can run wider tires on the factory dually wheels. Sure you can yank the duals out and run single wheels, but the whole idea of a dually is that it can carry more weight on the rear axle - with the factory steel single wheels you're down to around 6000 lbs (legally, realistically yes you can carry more as long as your tires allow it, but I would still not recommend it). Whereas your own '84 C3500 for example is probably rated for at least 7500 lbs rear GAW from the factory, maybe even more.

So yes, you can most certainly pull the rear duals and run singles in their place - if you keep your dually fenders and the front dually-type wheels it will look quite stupid, but it is physically possible. If you wanna run singles all the time and have them look like they belong (for the most part) you'll also wanna switch the bed out for one out of a SRW truck, same with the front hubs and wheels. Depending on what truck you're working with you may end up with the rear wheels sticking out of the SRW-type bed's fenders by a few inches - that is usually solved by adding plastic fender flares. But again, after all that, you still lose quite a bit in the weight capacity category, if you stick to "reg ole 16s" that is.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here's what a reag SRW bed looks like with a pickup DRW axle under it with SRW rims.

Attachments

• P1040439.JPG
    P1040439.JPG
    163.5 KB · Views: 7
  • P1040436.JPG
    P1040436.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 6

Jake2670

Reaction score
ok, wasn't for my 2wd dually, found a 4x4 dually but really don't need dually, it b my DD, the dually too big for some places i go. matter fact thinking of cutting down n putting short bed on it that why i ask, kinda thought the lugs were bigger then i saw a post talking about this, it was a ford, but git me thinking have all the parts to build a single wheel crew swb 4x4, but we talking axle swaps frame cuts n all, this way, just cut frame, swap bed, change tanks, and n business

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's what a reag SRW bed looks like with a pickup DRW axle under it with SRW rims.
That actually doesn't look like it would need any fender flares at all! Color matched to the tow vehicle too, I see :D Any chance you got some more pics of how the tongue is set up in the front, we're building a trailer like that too and would like to see what others have done...

Jake, I'm not sure about GM's wheel studs, but Fords use the same 9/16" studs in both SRW and DRW setups, actually the entire rear wheel hub is the same and it's the axle's width and brakes backing plate position that determines which wheels fit and how. When it comes to SRW lug nuts Ford actually used two different sizes, but they are interchangeable - they are both threaded for 9/16" studs, just the older style (mostly '80s trucks) has larger outer diameter and takes 1-1/16" socket, while the '90s SRW Fords switched to smaller outer diameter for 7/8" socket (I'd imagine being smaller and lighter they are also cheaper to produce in mass quantities). All '80's and '90s Ford dually trucks use the same lugnuts for a 1-1/16" socket, but like I said, internal thread is still the same 9/16" as the SRW. That's what makes it so easy to switch from one wheel to the other, just need wheels and a set of lug nuts that match them. Again, not sure what GM did, can't help you there...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online