Certain years better? Looking at tdi's

Lithgow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there certain years that had more than their share of problems? I am looking at getting a Jetta or Passat TDI. Also, what about that fancy automatic tranny? Is that transmission as great as the salesmen say it is?
Looking for a reliable ride that won't leave me stranded. Any specific problem areas to look for? May even look at a new one if I can't find a good used one.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, the "holy grail" TDI is the 1999-2003 ALH engine. Better power and roughly equivalent fuel mileage to the earlier engines, and it's still a standard injector pump engine. Issues exist (the VNT turbo vanes can seize up if you don't give the car regular Italian tune-ups, the EGR function can eventually clog up the intercooler, chassis electrical issues that seem to plague all Volkswagens, and such), but I've put about 35K on my 2001 and have been VERY happy with it. Only problems I've had with mine so far were the glow plug harness corroding (throws a Check Engine light because the computer thinks a glow plug's failed, which was obnoxious), and the alternator pulley clutch committed suicide; otherwise she's run like a top ;Sweet

I'm not a fan of the PD engines (2004-'06). There's a history of camshafts wiping out on them...the engines are extremely sensitive to which oil you use in them, and many people did not pay attention to that...but, IIRC even with using the right oil, some people have had camshafts get wiped out. I don't remember the details, but IIRC they used too soft of a metal. Also, generally the PD's don't get the fuel mileage that the ALH's get, although I know Justin (FordGuy100) has had good luck with his.

As to the new ones...first, I'll say that I'm planning to go with a new Jetta Sportwagen for my next car (probably when my '01 hits 200K miles). The new DSG automatic is exponentially better than the piece-of-junk slushboxes VW used previously (to the point where I would STRONGLY recommend a manual transmission if at all possible), but the DSG is still very complicated, and I don't want to think of the repair costs if one goes south. Also, the clutch packs are still bathed in oil, which creates a fair amount of parasitic drag...they're working on a dry-clutch version that will eliminate this and should really help with power and fuel mileage. At the same time, even with some back/hip problems, I'd much prefer the 6 speed manual, although that's also largely a function of personal preference. The '09-current Jetta and Golf TDI's use a particulate filter in the exhaust that uses diesel fuel to regenerate and in turn kills your fuel economy; Passat and Touraeg TDI's use urea injection, which adds an extra system/fluid, but means it won't have a negative effect on fuel mileage...supposedly, the Jetta and Golf will switch to urea for the 2015 model year (take a look at this thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=393747 )...personally, I would go out of my way to get a vehicle with urea injection if I were to buy new.

Just my $.02 on the matter...I hope that it helps some ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would stay away from the 04-05 Passat TDI's. Their motors have some design flaws that will cost a couple grand to fix, and it seems that the transmission/torque converter (only auto in the US for them) are kinda crappy...so there is another couple grand.

DSG's are amazing. I would only want to own manuals though, but if I had to have an auto, I wouldnt mind the DSG.

Whats your price range? That will be a big factor as far as what you can get.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a3/b4 cars (96-early99) are the simplest to work on, but try to find one that isn't rusting away. The A4 jetta (99-03) will give you the best fuel economy and still be relatively easy to work on, although they did some "improvements" (not really) such as water pump driven by the TB, vacuum pump driven off the end of the cam, etc. However, the rust proofing seems to be very good on these cars.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Resuscitating a 6 month old thread...

I have bought a house that is about 40 miles from work and automatically thought of a VW diesel to replace my v12 BMW. I have a line on a 2001 Jetta 5speed with about 120,000 miles and a few missing pieces (roundel in grille, one or two hubcaps). He is asking $5200 obo. Any thoughts about how far I should grind the price before buying, presuming everything else is working (or at least present)? Thanks!

P.S. It seems pretty tough to find a manual transmission car in SoCal, are they that rare, or are the SoCal drivers just that lazy?

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are any maintenance records available? It either has a relatively fresh 100k mile service or way is way behind on maintenance. The mileage is good for the year but the price is about ~1500 too optimistic.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
With those miles, I would say its worth the price considering. Might offer $4500 and see what happens. Those parts aren't that expensive you want to get them and spruce it up. The 01 is an ALH and is probably the most revered after TDI. Since its lived in the heat, it will probably smell like crayons on the inside, its just the backing on the carpeting (both of my Jetta's smelled like crayons).

Ask for maintenance records like mentioned above.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
What are the complaints on automatics on these cars? I'm having a tough time finding a manual.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of MK4s with the ALH engine, the VW 01M transmission has some common weaknesses:

Hard shifts, late shifts, unusual loud noises coming from the transmission, plastic parts failing, delayed forward and reverse when you give it gas, etc. The 4 people who I know who have had auto MK4s have all had them rebuilt at about 150k. Unless you're looking at one that was recently rebuilt with papers to prove it and done at a reputable shop, I'd keep looking for a manual or if you're really interested in it, factor that cost into your offer price. Or look at PD cars which has a better auto transmission.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What are the complaints on automatics on these cars? I'm having a tough time finding a manual.

Its hard to say besides just knowing that they fail. It starts with the shifting going all goofy, then it progresses. The 01M makes an stock E4OD look good.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Was the ALH engine used across the lineup in 1999-2003? Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Passat? I have seen plenty of Beetles for sale, but not so many Jettas.

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the Passat but it was used in the other three models during those model years. Another one to be on the hunt for is a 1996-1997 Passat sedan or wagon.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
ALH was used across those years but no tdi passats in that time. Only 96-97 (1Z), 04-05 (BHW), and then the new ones.

Knuckledragger

Reaction score
Have a line on a 2001 Jetta 5 speed with 240,000 miles for $3500.

This is the first one locally that I have found with accurate mileage being reported. One advertised 140,000, but Carfax showed that it had closer to 300,000. Another advertised 123,000 but had about 200,000 and was a Katrina car to boot (registered in Gulfport, MS in 2005). They both wanted considerably more money than this guy and had recently bought the cars at auction.

The only flaws reported are fading paint with clearcoat peeling. How often is the timing belt supposed to be changed? Any other important maintenance points to look for?

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How are you determining it's true mileage? Carfax, AutoCheck, etc. may give a good estimate, but the only true way to determine actual mileage is with VCDS software and accessing the computer/ECU. Another way to check if mileage has rolled over to zero at 300k is the word 'miles' is missing from the display under the speedo. If it just says 240000 without the word 'miles' next to or under it, it's likely rolled over and actually has 540,000 on it.

T-belts every 80-100k miles with the water pump, coolant, t-stat, tensioner, alternator pulley, serp belt. Look what kind of timing belt was used. There are plenty of crappy imports from the usual countries which have a proven track record of failing. Just a few clips hold in the timing belt cover. At that mileage, cam lifters should have or should be replaced and the oil pump is getting close to replacement (250-300k). A clutch might be in the future as well. Suspension is likely original so struts, BJ, TRE, LCAs might be getting worn.

If it's been maintained well it's not a bad price.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01