W80: keeping it mixed

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started off dumping in my WMO in my settling tank and dumping in the RUG, assuming it would diffuse. After allowing a few days to settle, I found the last few gallons were thin... As if the gas just stayed on top. So I started adding 5gal WMO then some gas, then more WMO and more gas until the batch was mixed thinking this would create a more consistent mix. But same results when pumping.

Anyone else experience this? Makes me a little concerned about keeping it a uniform mix in the truck tank.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WMO gets dumped through 5 and 1 micron socks, gas is added during this step. After settling for a few days, oil gets pumped from the bottom of the barrel through a Caterpillar 2 micron spin on into the clean, truck ready tank barrel.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Maybe you should let it cycle so it can mix.

IMO, think of making coolaid. Do you just dump everything in then drink it? Or mix it?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do... ...

Typically, I make 25 gallon batches... 20 gallons of oil and 5 gallons of RUG... all the oil goes in first and then 5 gallons of RUG on top. I then stir the batch for a few minutes and let it be.

I haven't noticed any issues doing it this way.

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on the oil, the heavier the oil the better chance of separation in a poor mix. A lot of my oil is 15W40 dsl oil, and the gasoline will sit on top and float back up until I heat and fuge the mix which is hours of heat and mixing. after that it will not separate.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a 5 gallon paint mixing thing that you put in your drill. I had to extend it a bit but this works great. Put in the wmo and rug then blend it all together. Thats the best way I found to mix the 2.

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been stirring the blend throughout the process of adding WMO and gas. Seems much better now. Simple fixes!

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had similar problem when I dumped diesel fuel in wmo without mixing it.
JP now that you've adjusted your process, when you mix wmo & gas does it go back in a barrel to settle or do you filter it all the way???
I'm curious if the gas/wmo mix separates after it's been blended and then sits in a barrel.
Keep us in the loop.;Sweet

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My process:

Go to gas station and get proper amount of gas for batch size I plan to make. (or currently I pump out one of the barrels of stale gas I scored.)

Dump 5 gallons of oil through 5/1 micron sock filters into barrel.
Dump in an amount of gas that seems proportional.
Stir aggressively with a 2x4.
Repeat until all oil and gas has been combined in the barrel.

Settle anywhere from 1 to 7 days, depending on how soon I need fuel. I try to stay ahead of the game, doesn't always happen.

Then, use HF water pump to pump through a 1 micron water filter and 2 micron absolute fuel filter into my clean, truck-ready barrel. ($1 water filters get changed every batch and just prolong the life of the $10 fuel filters.)

The last couple batches seemed pretty consistent as they pumped through the water and fuel filters. Before mixing throughout the filling process, the last 5 gallons or so would flow much faster than the rest of it.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds really good.
What kind of outside temps have you had lately??

JPhauler87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside temps have been as low as the teens outside in the morning, but I assume you mean where I'm processing. In my garage where were all setup, I bet its about 60*.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you said both temps.
I try to keep mental notes, how easy or hard working with wmo in colder temps, with regards to everyone on the OB wmo section.
How about when you burn it through a pickup??? As far as starts, general running down the road etc..??

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My buddies idi doesn't like w80 once its in the teens... it'll kick the fuel filter light on and not run too hot.

If he mixes w80 with d2, it runs fine... or if its in the 20s+... it doesn't do bad.

The first time I went to pick up oil, when I got there, it was 30 outside and it ended up being a drum of gear oil... yeah... lol. That didn't happen.

As far as mixing goes, I typically batch 25 gallons at a time (20 gallons of oil to 5 gallons of rug/whatever I have...) 20 gallons of oil in the drum first... then mixing as I pour in the thinner... then I mix it all pretty good with a piece of metal conduit... settle for a few days before gravity filtering... then 20hrs in the centrifuge.

Sounds like you've got your mixing figured out.