Building Custom Trailer Hitch

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Does anyone have pictures or dimensions of their custom hitch?
What shape of metal did you use? C Channel, box, angle, etc.
What thickness of metal did you use? 1/8" 1/4" 3/8" 1/2" 3/4"
How long of a receiver tube did you use?
What various reinforcements did you make and why?
How far from the ground does a typical dump truck's pintle hitch sit?
How far from the ground does your standard pickup truck's receiver sit? (I know that one's pretty variable, my pickup's at the farm so nothing to measure right now)

Looking for a design to build a hitch on the back of a flatbed truck. I'd like to mount a pintle hitch along with a permanent 2" receiver underneath to cover my bases. Something that would be strong enough to haul a dozer on a tag trailer, even though most of the trailers are gonna be a lot lighter.

Any ideas?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of 2 hitches (pintle and ball) just go with a class 5 Reciever, ID is 2-1/2" sq., there is an adapter from 2-1/2' to 2". Search Reese products. There are bolt on Pintle Hooks rated at 10 and 15 ton. Use the adjustable Pintle Hook mount. When your trailer is flat, measure from the ground to the hook, that's where you have to put the hitch, usually 22" from ground. Take a look at some other trucks to see how there made, like County or State trucks that have Pintle hitches.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a class 5 Curt hitch with a 2" tube on amazon for about 160-180 dollars. It was shipped free to my door in two days with amazon prime.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al I can say is what might be THE single WISEST piece of wisdom I was ever given, and that was in regards to designing and building my own hitch, and he said: Build it stronger than you think you will need, you'll never know if you built if TOO heavy, but you'll sure know if you didn't".

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Al I can say is what might be THE single WISEST piece of wisdom I was ever given, and that was in regards to designing and building my own hitch, and he said: Build it stronger than you think you will need, you'll never know if you built if TOO heavy, but you'll sure know if you didn't".
What he said...on something like this, IMHO there's no such thing as overkill.

BTW, on the general subject...if someone who knows how to weld but isn't certified builds a hitch and if it ever breaks, is there a potential liability issue? That might be the biggest argument in favor of buying one...? :dunno

mu2bdriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...if someone who knows how to weld but isn't certified builds a hitch and if it ever breaks, is there a potential liability issue?

There's liability in everything (especially in our two States), and while it should be taken into consideration, it should not be a impediment to one's creativity and ingenuity.

Anyone can overbuild something, commercially-made equipment are manufactured to be 'just strong enough' to meet certification standards and fit a market price point. Good for the OP to fabricate his own. I'm looking for a front mount receiver for my 1991 but lack the skills and materials to build my own.

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Junk that was the one. Only complaint I have is the chaim loops are cut outs in a piece of flat stock so some safety chain hooks won't fit.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, I like that. I'm not sure I would ever hook on to that kind of weight but can you ever have too much trailer hitch? ;Sweet

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope so. Just bought one. $15 dollar off coupon made it a deal I couldn't pass up.

Spire

Reaction score
Could someone who has purchased the Curt 15300 hitch linked above (amazon) measure the distance from the frame to the TOP of the receiver for me?

I just installed a flat bed and the bottom of the integrated bumper is 5" below the frame flange the hitch would bolt to.

Would love to find out if this hitch will work.

Thanks in advance.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will the distance from the top of the reciever opening to the top of the mounting flange (where it meets the frame) work? It's not on the truck yet. I'll get it here in a bit. It's in the shed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online