94 460 mpg

Black dawg

Reaction score
In a recent trade, I ended up with a 94 f350 4x4 regular cab single wheel. It has the 460 with a c6 and 4.11 gears. This has to be the latest I have seen with the c6.

anybody have/have had a similar truck? I am wondering what I can expect for mpg. truck is 100% stock and 214k.

gandalf

Reaction score
Fuel consumption on that combination, 460/C6, is not measured in MPG. It is measured in YPG. That is Yards per gallon, called Yardage.:rotflmao

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
unloaded it will get maybe 8 loaded 6 to8, change the gears to 355 and it will help a ton. Oh and if you can modify the exhaust to let it breathe that also helps. I have a 2wd with a burnt valve and you can watch the fuel gauge drop going uphill.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I am hoping to get 10 out of it, I guess we will see.

I do think it is funny though, that if you google 460mpg, you end up on ford truck websites that favor gassers, and hear stories of anywhere from 12 to 15 for mpg.

I did have a 77 f250 4x4 (c6 and 4.1 gears) that I put a 460 into, and with a bunch of time getting that weird spreadbore carb jetted just right, would get 14 on the highway at 60. The guy I sold the truck to just had to have a bigger carb, and put a 750 holley on it, instant 6mpg. Played with the jetting in the holley quite a bit, and never could break 11mpg.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to get 10 out of it, I guess we will see.

I do think it is funny though, that if you google 460mpg, you end up on ford truck websites that favor gassers, and hear stories of anywhere from 12 to 15 for mpg.

I did have a 77 f250 4x4 (c6 and 4.1 gears) that I put a 460 into, and with a bunch of time getting that weird spreadbore carb jetted just right, would get 14 on the highway at 60. The guy I sold the truck to just had to have a bigger carb, and put a 750 holley on it, instant 6mpg. Played with the jetting in the holley quite a bit, and never could break 11mpg.
spreadbore holleys was the drop-in replacement for quadrajets. if you were able to keep your foot out of the secondaries, you have a real fuel mizer of a carb. get into the secondaries too much, you're going to get killed at the pump. for a while holley even had a "3 bore" that was the next step down from the dominator. you didn't put that carb on for economy. if you had a motor that could breathe and can handle 900cfm +, that carb was for you. the secondaries was one big oval hole. i've dialed in Buick 455's into the 10's with that carb.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the carb that I spent a bunch of time on, was actually a motorcraft spreadbore. Goofy carbs, because the spreadbore pattern doesnt match the typical spreadbore pattern (qjet).

I do know of the spreadbore holleys, I have a pile of them.

Sal

Reaction score
My 91 e350 rv gets 10mpg with 456's all day long. This is 65mph highway though. Stop and go its roughly 8. Wet weight is like 10,500.

1997 f350 that was lifted with a zf would hit 13 at times. But it was mostly single digits and all. Cant really say it was broke in when it was sold. Not even 50k.

FordTech92

Reaction score
One of my first trucks was a 1995 F250, 460, ext cab, long bed, 2wd. it averaged about 8-9mpg. I think the best I ever averaged through a tank was 11-12. Good truck, but that fuel sure got expensive.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Change the timing chain to an early 70,s one , the 78/9 up was retarded 8 degrees IIRC for emissions. That will help a bunch. then play with base timing and shift points to use the torque and that will help also.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Black dawg

Reaction score
Well, burned a couple tanks through it (doesnt take long) first tank 6.6 and second tank 8.3.

This is driving really nice, if I cant get 10 out of it, its gone.
Both ex manifolds are leaking, I suppose fixing that would be worth a little mpg. Driving with scan tool does show that it THINKS it is lean most of the time.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, burned a couple tanks through it (doesnt take long) first tank 6.6 and second tank 8.3.

This is driving really nice, if I cant get 10 out of it, its gone.
Both ex manifolds are leaking, I suppose fixing that would be worth a little mpg. Driving with scan tool does show that it THINKS it is lean most of the time.
any time you have raw air entering the exhaust stream, the computer will think it's in a lean condition.
fix the leaking manifolds and you will have some improvement.

Black dawg

Reaction score
any time you have raw air entering the exhaust stream, the computer will think it's in a lean condition.
fix the leaking manifolds and you will have some improvement.

Fixed one side last night, now the o2 looks much better. Still have some small leaks on the other bank, probably call it good for now. man it sucks getting lazy.

Black dawg

Reaction score
This thing burns more fuel than anything I have ever owned. 5-8 mpg regardless of how it is driven. All driving is under 60 mph. It runs perfect, everything looks normal on the scan tool. I tried another 02 sensor, with no change, fuel pressure is normal, everything is normal, except ****** mpg. Did cab/chassis trucks get a different computer with a gas hog tune??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01