01 duramax codes

seventyfourci

Reaction score
i have a 01 duramax and keep getting these codes 0306, 0380, 0004, 4800. The truck does not smoke but has a slight miss at idle. Any ideas?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
P0306 is cylinder #6 misfire.
P0380 is glowplug circuit A malfunction.
P0004 is fuel volume regulator circuit high.
Is the 4800 a p code?

What did you use to pull the codes with?

seventyfourci

Reaction score
It is a generic obd11 Creader. The 4800 kinda goes against the grain I have not found it in any of the codes. I am sure it is the code reader but its all I have. As far as the codes go I knew what they were. What has me stumped is I have never seen a diesel engine that was missing that the exhaust smoke was the same as when it was hitting on all the cyd's. In my case the exhaust smoke is the same as it was when it was new. Under load it will have a faint black smoke outside of that you cannot see anything. At this time I have parked it so if it is a bad cyd I do not cause any more damage to the engine. This engine has had no modifications not even a power program and has 165,000 miles on it. I have read in several places on the internet about wire chaffing causing idling problems but when I pulled the covers it has more wires than a walmart super center. I would not even be able to guess where to start checking the wires. I do want to thank you for your response and any more information you would like to add would be welcomed.

Thanks again
seventyfourci

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well clear them, then see what one's come back.

Just that one injector could be fouling up. May not be enough to see visible smoke.
Smell the exhaust with it running.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
being an 01, has it EVER had injectors? if you are unsure, take the vin to a dealer and have them check. gm extened the warranty on lb7 injectors to 7 year or 100000 miles. they have known injector issues. if never replaced, it might be time.....

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1 of the injectors that was replaced has probably fouled out. I would take it back to the place you had this done and see where the parts warranty falls. I had this happen to my 01, but the failed injector stuck open, rather then just throwing a code.

seventyfourci

Reaction score
OK cleared codes and the check engine light was off all day. After the truck was allowed to go bone cold picked up service light and had the same trouble codes come up. I have started seeing a little white smoke now but only under load. Any ideas?????

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, let me post it one more time, but this time, for the last time. One of the injectors that was REPLACED is most likely BAD and requires REPLACEMENT. You tracking? Ok, now, get in touch with said shop that replaced the 8 injectors, ask them what the parts warranty is, to see if your REPLACED INJECTORS may be covered under some sort of PARTS WARRANTY. Good luck.