pete 379 seen on youtube with pickup bed

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the guy is from cali and saying in cali if it has not for hire stuck on the truck and wont be used commercially he can drive it without the worry of a cdl even though he has one i have read through ohios bmv and cant find a true answer how strict that law iscan anyone tell me??

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
Should be able to register it as an RV vs commercial vehicle, that plus not for hire stickers will generally let you off but still possible to get DOTs eye and have to stop.

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would probably vary by state. In South Dakota, anything over 8000gvw must stop, excluding RVs. I suppose if you didn't look RV enough they may run you down if you didn't stop. You may need an air brake endorsement, and I don't know if those can be had without some level of CDL.

RocketScott

Reaction score
Varies very much by state.

Don't even think about bringing a one ton pulling a 10k+ trailer into WA state without a CDL, DOT number, and MC number. Doesn't matter what you are pulling, it's all about the weight rating. I see them all the time down at the truck stop waving hands at a state trooper.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well the guy is from cali and saying in cali if it has not for hire stuck on the truck and wont be used commercially he can drive it without the worry of a cdl even though he has one i have read through ohios bmv and cant find a true answer how strict that law iscan anyone tell me??

I wouldn't even consider trying that one going through the scale house... Anything over 26,000 w/air brakes requires CDL unless you're operating under farm exempt or it is an RV. I wouldn't try to tell the state patrol that a bobtail semi (GVWR nearing 50K) is an RV. Probably not going to win that argument regardless of a not for hire sticker.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in kali, pickup exemptions from DOT stop at 14k GVW. F450 and F550 pickups are not hot sellers out here as a result.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't even consider trying that one going through the scale house... Anything over 26,000 w/air brakes requires CDL unless you're operating under farm exempt or it is an RV. I wouldn't try to tell the state patrol that a bobtail semi (GVWR nearing 50K) is an RV. Probably not going to win that argument regardless of a not for hire sticker.
years ago, a friend of mime got stopped cold from his "countrywide" fiver trek by WADOT. He built a sweet F250 bullnose SC dually with arrowcraft parts. Kali didn't look twice at him and neither to ORDOT. WADOT otoh, didn't care what he beefed the truck up to, the VIN governed his GCVWR and that was the end of the story. The truck could leave but the fiver was there to stay until he found someone else to tow it with the proper weight class truck. Needless to say, all the people in his group was doumbfounded and yes, most were in tears. After getting the phone call, I drove the Nostromo up there, it took me a day and a half due to stopping in Portland to see friends. I swapped out trucks and I threw my keys at him and told him to go have fun, just take care of my truck. For 15 years, he humoured a kid full of mechanical questions and taught him all sorts of speed secrets for diesels. It was the least I could do for him and his family to enjoy a trip of their dreams. Six months later, I got back my truck, fully serviced and with a new set of tires. He didn't need to do that, btw. To this day, I warn people about WADOT every chance I get. The only thing good was I got to drive a hotrodded F250 SC dually that goes like stink and pulls like a bear. It also brought his family and my famly much closer.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To this day, I warn people about WADOT every chance I get.

Yeah... WADOT is uh, strict shall we say -cuss Granted that makes me a fair amount of money (Road calls to the scale are $$$). We do the annual inspections too and let me tell you what, if it ain't right, it doesn't pass before it is.

RocketScott

Reaction score
I put 'Not for hire' on the side of my Peterbilt 379 because a trucking friend of mine told me I needed to. I don't think it really means anything. I still have to have a DOT number. It might just do away with the MC number though. I don't cross state lines.

You must be registered for see images attach