Another One Following Me Home

FordGuy100

Reaction score
And this one will make you guys jealous. One owner, 1997 B4V (Passat Wagon) 5 speed. Needs some TLC to get it in proper working order. Texas car and no rust. Price is right. Pics to come when I get it.

Only 80 1997 B4V's were imported to the US in 97. Built in Emden Germany.

This should be replacing the Excursion (sadly, but the payment is just to much right now with Mary not working due to little man being here).

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds nice ;Sweet Congrats!! Can't wait for pictures...how upset is Mary about letting the Excursion go? I know she really wanted one for quite a while there...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
We are both sad, but we probably won't get rid of it until the end of summer. Hopefully in the coming years we can get another, this time 4x4.

Or I could DD this and get rid of my TDI and drop that car oayement.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We are both sad, but we probably won't get rid of it until the end of summer. Hopefully in the coming years we can get another, this time 4x4.

Or I could DD this and get rid of my TDI and drop that car oayement.

Funny, my gf and I are looking for a 6.0 2wd excursion for a comfortable roadtripper.

What would you consider selling it for? Please let me know, as well as keep me in mind, as I'm actively looking for one, looking to purchase within the next 2-3 months.

(Full outright cash, cash/trade, or trade)

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day.

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It's mine, all mine!!!!

Power steering doesn't work, needs a new rack setup. Gonna do wheel bearings, brakes, shocks and struts, bushings, ball joints, tires. Needs a deep interior cleaning.

200,000 miles on it (cluster stopped working, guesstamate). $1000 cash ;Sweet

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
WHAAAAA<....!!! THE Holy Grail of TDI's and you got it for $1,000!!!

Sweet Congrats!

28 Gallon Fuel Tank and 45 MPG! GOtta love the Fuel Range.

I just found one of these for Bob my mechanic north of GR, I went and picked it up for him, it is a Florida Car with 220k on it, for $4K. I wanted to buy it for myself but I dont "need" a wagon, I just like them, He does with a family of 4. I drive a Passat Sedan.

Seriously Dude CONGRATS! That will be a nice ride!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAAAAA<....!!! THE Holy Grail of TDI's and you got it for $1,000!!!

Sweet Congrats!

28 Gallon Fuel Tank and 45 MPG! GOtta love the Fuel Range.

I just found one of these for Bob my mechanic north of GR, I went and picked it up for him, it is a Florida Car with 220k on it, for $4K. I wanted to buy it for myself but I dont "need" a wagon, I just like them, He does with a family of 4. I drive a Passat Sedan.

Seriously Dude CONGRATS! That will be a nice ride!
i almost bought one last summer for $800. it had hippie art all over the outside unfortunately. the interior needed a major cleaning.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I'm looking at about a grand for parts, couple hundred for tires. $1000 purchase, $225ish TTL, $100 in fuel to get it, $120 trailer rental. Its adding up quickly, but its going to be awesome!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Brand new battery, and its up and running like a champ. AC is meh, cools about 20* off ambient, but at least its working (probably just needs recharged vs having to go through the whole system).

I ordered a steering rack, so thats the next big thing. If that fixes the power steering I will be a happy camper. Trying to source a functioning cluster to get mine working again. TDI Clusters for the Passats fetch their weight in gold. For the interior, I'm just going to take the seats out, and take some degreaser to it and then take a steam cleaner to it. After that, it gets tires and inspection, and then I will tackle everything else later.

Cost to date:
Car Purchase: $1000
Fuel: $100
Trailer: $120
Steering rack $290 (including return shipping, and $75 core)
Battery $155

Total: $1665

I still need to get it taxed, titled, and licensed, which will roughly be $200. It needs tires, around $350. Getting AC into spec, $50. Interior cleaning $150. Gauge Cluster, $175 ($75 for used cluster, $100 to have someone upgrade mine with those parts and better components). Looks like with just those parts its going to be a $2600 car. I'm looking at another grand for everything else to get it into tip top shape.

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Alright! New cluster in!

Note* The mileage is stored on the cluster, not on the ECM. So this cluster came out of a car with this amount of miles

Check engine light is for a glow plug code.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Power steering works again! What a royal PITA to change that rack. The K member didn't want to come down for anything, and it had to so I could get the rack out. I eventually got it to drop an inch or two and managed to pull the old one out, and install the new one. Ran out if time so I need to finish torqueing everything down, and re aligning the steering wheel (about 55* off counterclockwise) but at least it can steer now!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Update*

Finished getting everything bolted up and torqued down after the steering rack removal/installation. Got the alignment as close as possible, and then got the steering wheel straightened out. Took it over to a car wash and washed the engine compartment down and got it all cleaned up.

Tomorrow it gets 4 new tires, and inspected.

Purchased a bunch of parts today as well to get everything in order.

1 x Engine Mount Set (A3)(B4) (a3motormtkit)
1 x CV Boot Kit Right Inner (B4)(A3) (b4cvbootin)
1 x CV Boot Kit Left Inner (B4)(A3) (b4_cv_boot_leftin)
1 x Suspension and Steering Refresh Kit (B4) (b4_susp_refresh_kit)
Tie Rods Ends Only
Control Arm Rear Bushing Audi TT Style
Hardware Bolts
1 x B4 Passat Filter Pack (1Z) (b4filterpack) = $42.95
Fuel Filter Mann
2 x Passat Hatch Strut (B4 - Variant) (b4hatchstrut)
1 x Oil Dipstick Tube (A3)(B4) (a3b4dipsticktube)
1 x Power steering belt (A3)(B4) (b4vbelt)
1 x Serpentine Belt (A3)(B4) (b4serpbelt)
1 x Serpentine Belt Tensioner (A3)(B4) (b4serpblttens)
1 x Serpentine Belt Tensioner Arm (A3 B4 AHU 1Z) (ahu1z_serp_tens_lever)
2 x Serpentine Belt Tensioner Arm Bushing (A3 AHU)(B4 1Z) (ahu1z_serp_tens_bushing)
1 x Serpentine Belt Tensioner Roller (B4)(A3) (b4serprol)
1 x Serpentine Belt Tensioner Seals (Set of 2) (AHU)(1Z) (aahu1z_serptens_bushing)
1 x Pagid Brake Pads (B4 Front)(A3 Front) (b4padfpag)
1 x Mintex Rear Brake Pads (B4) (rearbrakepadsb4)
2 x 3mm I.D.Vacuum Hose (vacuumhose)

Total $567. Brings the grand total for the car up to $2232

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bsthomas21

Members online