Register to remove these ads

Thread: How to clean rusty files ?

Thanks

Default How to clean rusty files ?

I was researching how to clean rusty files without damaging them and I think soaking them in vinager is the best option.
    I have removed rust with vinigar before and it works well, I just curious as to what you guys do. I picked upa assortment 50 Nicleson,simonds and black diamond files for $15 all made in the us and I wanted to clean them up a bit. I bought them with the intention of hammering them out into knives and such but I just cant do it..... they are all made in the U.S.A and quality name brands they range from 5in to 14in metal and wood cutting files.
    So how do you guys clean them without dulling them ?
    1988 F-350 dwd 7.3L c6 auto 4:10 diff. 2wd
    Dead 2000 E-150 4.2l Blown motor
    2013 E-250 4.6L ...

Necessity is the mother of invention.
    "The future isn't what it used to be.".... Yogie Berra

Official GMM hand model icanfixall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,036 Posts

Depending on how rusty they are then they may be dull already... Rust is the breakdown of the metal. It removes some of the metal as its disolved. The way you are cleaning them is ok but they are going to be less than as sharp as they were when they were made. Another thing about files.. Never throw them allin the same slot or drawer. The touching of other files is a sure way to dull them fast. Ever see a new box of files. They are protected by paper around each of them... They do make good knives but care needs to be had when the pounding takes place. Many years ago in a shop class I saw a Darriwn Award winner work for about a month heating and hammering out a beautiful Boey Knife. It was gourgous looking. Another classmate was holding it in two hands admireing it when we heard a poping sound. Just then the knife snapped in two. I guy hand this laying in his open palms looking at it and the builder looked on as it snapped in two... I laughed till I nearly pissed my pants.. My sides hurt so bad after that.. I was a true moment in time.... Carma got back at that very minute...
    89 SRW crewcab, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, 8 speed BTS E4OD with a Gear Vendors, Shifts smooth and positive with any load on it. Triple disc torque converter has 150 square inches of friction material, stock has just 25 square inches of material.Transcold Carrier pump helping out Moose Pump and just loven it. 4 inch Straight piped, hydroboost with a 1 5/16 inch master cylinder. 7.3 turbo upgraded motor, ported heads, intake & exhaust manifolds. ARP studs. Block sleeved on all 8. Mahle turbo pistons milled, are 24 to 26 thousands above the deck, then ceramic coated with Tech Line CBX. Line bored and balanced. Decked block. Each piston is 1/4 and 1/3rd gram of each others weight. "BB" injectors. Custom Rodney Red aluminum radiator and running cool. Now it needs my new Hypermax intercooler to help out the famous Moose Pump and a set of Moose Injecters thrown in just for giggles...Double FatMat inside of the crewcab... Nice and quiet too...

Thanks

I realize they arent going to be as sharp as new some of the are brand new with a bit of surface rust, I do have them all in a 5gal. bucket right now i will have to fix that.
    I heard or read somwhere you can sharpen them with acid etching ? I know you worked in a machine shop so I am sure you know something about this and hands on experiance is the best teacher.
    2013 E-250 4.6L ...

Thanks

i have cleaned up some rusty tools with concrete cleaner, its a stong acid you can get at hardware stores. stay away from the fumes though!
    Jared, the artist formerly known as Jred on the board. Be kind to the mods, they are all powerful!

94 5 speed, 4 door, 4 wheel drive NOW A TURBO with 195'ish in the ticker
    and my other loves.....
    79 Jeep CJ-7 t-18, D44 rear, Wrangler tub, and a fun loving 360 V-8 (engine and trans pulled and sold waiting for a 6.9 )

48 Willy's pickup 4 wheel drive with the Super Hurricane six shooter

Official GMM hand model icanfixall's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 1,036 Posts

Muradic acid is what cleans rust off concrete and pools. Really easy to find too...
    89 SRW crewcab, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, 8 speed BTS E4OD with a Gear Vendors, Shifts smooth and positive with any load on it. Triple disc torque converter has 150 square inches of friction material, stock has just 25 square inches of material.Transcold Carrier pump helping out Moose Pump and just loven it. 4 inch Straight piped, hydroboost with a 1 5/16 inch master cylinder. 7.3 turbo upgraded motor, ported heads, intake & exhaust manifolds. ARP studs. Block sleeved on all 8. Mahle turbo pistons milled, are 24 to 26 thousands above the deck, then ceramic coated with Tech Line CBX. Line bored and balanced. Decked block. Each piston is 1/4 and 1/3rd gram of each others weight. "BB" injectors. Custom Rodney Red aluminum radiator and running cool. Now it needs my new Hypermax intercooler to help out the famous Moose Pump and a set of Moose Injecters thrown in just for giggles...Double FatMat inside of the crewcab... Nice and quiet too...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icanfixall View Post
    Muradic acid is what cleans rust off concrete and pools. Really easy to find too...
    thats what it is, could not think of the name off the top of my head. i have used it to clean out old radiators to, i didnt have much to loose at that point and it worked.
    Jared, the artist formerly known as Jred on the board. Be kind to the mods, they are all powerful!

94 5 speed, 4 door, 4 wheel drive NOW A TURBO with 195'ish in the ticker
    and my other loves.....
    79 Jeep CJ-7 t-18, D44 rear, Wrangler tub, and a fun loving 360 V-8 (engine and trans pulled and sold waiting for a 6.9 )

48 Willy's pickup 4 wheel drive with the Super Hurricane six shooter

Thanks

A few different thoughts,

Muriatic Acid

http://www.metalrescue.com/home.aspx

Or

Go to you tube and do battery charger rust removal search I did this lots come up but this is a quick one...

JM2CW

Al

Or maybe next time don't buy rusty files???

I am an Amsoil Dealer ask me for details....

92 F250 4x4
    RC (Crippled Hippo)
    May add the following...from other trucks
    Home built wood deck, 7.3/ZF 5sp, custom Turbo
    Champion Rad, TYT TH 9000 VHF radio Yeasu FT3000 2M, Braden ARMS3 PTO winch front, Ramsey RE 8000 winch rear, and MORE TO COME!

91 F350 4x4 RC AKA (White Rhino) + 93 F250 4x4 SC (Brow Bruin)...for parts + 90 Bronco AKA (THE TUG)
    ITS THE build path to a BIGGER Bronco SAY a SC 1Ton Bronco!

VE7LAA

AKA...Al or "Camo Pants"

It's TOO late to read the book on how to swim when the boat's going down

Quote Originally Posted by icanfixall View Post
    ... Everyone around me is flat ass useless.... A bunch of short bus window lickers........The amps will smoke the wire faster than a prom dress comes off in the back seat of a 55 chevy...
    Quote Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA View Post
    ..... I will light you up so bad you'll think God himself is coming for you! ....
    Quote Originally Posted by towcat View Post
    .. It's not a redneck hell-hole... it's a garden of inspiration!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    JM2CW

Al

Or maybe next time don't buy rusty files???

Lol the reason I got them was they are still sharp almost new, but they had just a bit of rust on them they were also pretty cheap for the quality, around 40cents a piece.
    I think I am going to try vinigar first with one of them and see how it goes and possibly try the electrolysis method, I really dont want to mess with any really caustic acids if I dont need too, I have little brothers that like to play with things when no one is around even when they are told not too and realize the danger....
    2013 E-250 4.6L ...