A 460 vs. Towing?

Bierisch

Reaction score
This is probably in the wrong section(sorry!), but I was wondering if the 460 with the C6 would make for a good towing truck, especially after a SRW-DRW conversion?

The main reason I ask is because all I can really find for my price is a 1995 Ford F250 4x4 Flatbed that I would hopefully want to swap the front clip out of and other stuff, but more on that later!

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that would make an awesome pulling truck. there are a few mods you can do to give it a little more power, but you really dont need to. the only thing that would limit the truck is the c6, not that its not strong enough, but since theres no overdrive, its going to like the fuel.

Bierisch

Reaction score
Oh wow that's great to know! I wish I knew more about the truck though, it is in pretty decent condition even! But thanks for the quick reply and the info!

But would it be better to have an automatic or a manual? Or could you expect the same performance?

w4dsb

Reaction score
had a 460 and a manual tranny in a 89 f350 dually . it was strong as heck but loved GAS
8mpg

Bierisch

Reaction score
So I am hearing, either way, it'll love gas, I just have to treat her right? Gah if I would've known't his I wouldn't have a gf also! Lol

But thank you all for your good responses you have helped me out tons!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...... it was strong as heck but loved GAS
8mpg

same here!

i used to own a F450 with 460 f/i and ZF5. quiet as heck for a repo truck. power was there and the thirst was unreal. hobbled with a front tank only, the truck was like a ********** looking for a gas pump all nite long.

junglecrawler

Reaction score
My 89 F350 srw gets about 14 mpg unloaded with the 460 ..... about 6-7 pulling my 26' offshore sport fishing boat and trailer , as soon as I can find some stock rims for it I am going to get rid of the 36x12.5x16.5 tires and rims that are on it .... maybe improve my mpg somewhat .
You must be registered for see images attach

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
I've got an 85 crew cab with a 460 and C6. Pulled this load about 75 miles and had plenty of power and could hold speed on most hills, but only got 5mpg.

Just a little over 18,000#

EDIT: The forum is freaking out or something and won't attach a picture...sorry

Bierisch

Reaction score
My 89 F350 srw gets about 14 mpg unloaded with the 460 ..... about 6-7 pulling my 26' offshore sport fishing boat and trailer , as soon as I can find some stock rims for it I am going to get rid of the 36x12.5x16.5 tires and rims that are on it .... maybe improve my mpg somewhat .

I actually like the look of those! lol but thats just because I think the stock rims look like that Mowers rims Haha LOL

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I've got an 85 crew cab with a 460 and C6. Pulled this load about 75 miles and had plenty of power and could hold speed on most hills, but only got 5mpg.

Just a little over 18,000#

EDIT: The forum is freaking out or something and won't attach a picture...sorry

The same picture is in your signature. LOL

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Specs on the truck? 14mpg is damn good out of a 460! Is that highway or mixed?