cylinder wall pit

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

will this pose a problem? its about 1/8"

It will if it's what I think it is....cavitation...

Did you get that block bored out? Whats the scoop...provide us some background to better understand what's going on..

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the cylinder, second from the rear on the passenger side. It had water in the cylinder for a while and rusted. I had it ****** and boned and this and a few smaller pits were left over after the job. The tech said it would not be a problem, but thats him

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'm gonna second cavitation as well. Unless you know the origin of that pit, I'd save that set of head gaskets.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
that was my thought too. what scares me is that looks like a water port right there. However the cylinders are thinest at the corner cylinders (1,2,7,8) about 2 inches down on the valley side. that being said... it could happen anywhere

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt run it. poke it with a pick then get that hole sleeved.

gatorman21218

Reaction score
before going any farther, I would pressure test the block, and do a sonic test of that pit and any other pits

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not cavitation, there was a loose glowplug and water seeped inside from the rain. I had it honed .030 over and this is left after. Engine was running ok before i had it bored.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
When you had it honed over 0.30, that revealed cavitation that is happening in the cylinders.

I think he just said its not cavitation, that a GP tip broke off and must have scored the cylinder before finding its way out.. Which, is possible..

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.030 On a 7.3 is a little brave.... If its on the valley side of the block I would be scared... If its the outside, Not so much. I went through 5 engines till I found a 7.3 with stock bore's to re ring and run. Just my 2 cents.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he just said its not cavitation, that a GP tip broke off and must have scored the cylinder before finding its way out.. Which, is possible..

Where does he say that a glowplug tip broke off in that cylinder? Even if a glowplug did break off....which hasn't been stated yet...that doesn't look like tip damage in my opinion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01