Tech 101 Clutch ARM replacement...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey ya'll....

Had to swap out a clutch arm that connects to the Master Cyl pushrod in the CAB on the pedal assembly today.

The one with the proverbial pin that wears out and causes all kinds of clutch actuation issues.

Truck 87-91
I did call my local Ford Stealership and they have this arm in stock about 55 bucks...check with your dealer if you need one, I've gotten wise, I strip em out when I can every time! I can rebuild the arm/pin easy enough at a later date.

TOOLS required

18MM deep socket
Ratchet
Small puller (VERY SMALL)
Hammer 16-24 oz

Now I started by having to remove the retaining nut off the clutch pedal cross shaft. I left it on a wee little bit.

Then I installed my tiny puller on the arm and had the nut just off the shaft to hold the threaded portion of the puller in place. It worked very well. Stopped the puller from disengaging and twisting off the cross shaft!

Now once I had the puller on good and very tight, I whacked the arm a couple of times on the end where the worn pin was and that was all it needed to loosen that arm off. I released the puller and removed the nut then the clutch arm you see in the pictures.

I then installed a bushing into the MC rod eye, then installed the replacement clutch arm into the MC and after pulling up the clutch pedal I placed the arm on the cross shaft installed the nut and tightened it in place.

Now my clutch is tip top

First one of the different arms I have floating around...clearly a poorly executed repair...not going to fix this one right now...lol I have a good ARM for my job today!

You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=34

Here is my arm in my truck...I'd previously burned through a couple of bushings whilst attempting to locate my good arm...which today I did locate!

You can see it's well worn and near death...the eye on the clutch MC pushrod is worn however It is usable at this point!

This shot shows the EYE and Arm the eye is worn, however not so bad it's not usable, I did not replace the arm as I'm planning a cab change and doing an MC swap then!

Here you can see the SMALL two jaw puller I am talking about and how the nut holds the pullers shaft in place, I know the puller is NOT on the arm 100%, as this was staged for photo and then setup and tightened properly.

Ahhhh....the worn arm, and the replacement....clearly one is far better, don't worry I cleaned up the rust before I installed the replacement

This is all buttoned up with replacement arm and a good bushing in place!

This truck now shifts much better than ever before, however I'm still in need of a new transmission to replace this one which is missing 3rd gear.

That stupid arm is a ****** to get off but doable in the truck..

I hope this is helpful to someone ..

Thanks for looking

Al

Last edited:

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking for the clutch in the pics lol
Good right up like always.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Just to verify this is a 91 brick right.. did it make the clutch pedal lighter ie less pedal pressure

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to verify this is a 91 brick right.. did it make the clutch pedal lighter ie less pedal pressure

Yes Brick nose...

All it does is make the clutch function correctly instead of all the action 1/2" off the floor boards you actually have some room to move, I've got great pedal feel etc.

Hard to say if lighter or harder, just MORE action, my leg is very used to clutches...thus unless I drive an auto or some stupid hard clutch they are all about the same...

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
93cc when we replaced my mc there was no difference in harder/softer pedal feel, but when we changed out the slave for a bigger one (thats all napa had) the pedal felt as soft as one in a brand new truck

good writeup Al!