OK, NEW idea, dt466

LSXJ6

Reaction score
I have now completed the running driving xj6, next will be a 94 Cherokee 4wd project, I'm gonna try for a dt360 thistime and actually make it work, my question is, would an Allison 545 and divorcd 205 be in the general area of working for a jeep of this nature? The reason for the swap will be low end power for the trails period. I've done a cummins swap and this time would like to use a IH motor. Hell is it POSSIBLE to use a 466? I have both motors now, and all parts do to ether swap for either.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i dont think the unibody would like that weight much. plust the over length of everything just would not fit. there would be no room for a rear shaft.

LSXJ6

Reaction score
understood, I may just use the 360 and machine an adapter plate for a decent 4wd trans, I wasn't sure how much engine room a jeep had but I also haven't been able to measure my 466 since its still in the truck.

I know the big ******* will fit in a pickup with firewall modification, perhaps ill save the motor for somethin.g like that.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That allison isn't a good one. Not much support (if any) in upgrades and it has a very low HP rating.

A 4BT would be an easier fit in the Jeep. The DT360 may be too dang long............. the DT466 certainly will be. Add the length of a medium duty trans and Corey is right, there's not much room for a driveshaft.

But, I like where you are going.

Heath

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I also think it'd be to long. Being that Cherokees have a short wheelbase already.

Just a question and I know you already have a cummins to use, but what do you think of Detroit's?

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a 4cylinder diesel for the Cherokee. They had factory ones overseas, a 2.5L. You could also source the 2.8 out of the liberty if you choose. Is the dt360 about the same size as the 466?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
You need a 4cylinder diesel for the Cherokee. They had factory ones overseas, a 2.5L. You could also source the 2.8 out of the liberty if you choose. Is the dt360 about the same size as the 466?

The 360 is about 1.5" shorter in length and 3" less in height.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because it's like a Chevy 350. After a while it gets boring seeing one swapped in to a pickup. Plus, the DT360 is a better built engine. It just didnt get the P-pump it sooo needed.

uhhh, dt motors had p pumps before they where heui. I actually think the DT360 is a p pumped motor, I don't think they made a heui one, though I could be wrong. We just did a pickup tube in a p pumped dt466 dump truck tonight

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I was talking 360, not 466. I'm well aware of the P-pumped 466, I drove one yesterday that has a #0 fuel plate. The 360 came with either an MW-pump or A-pump. Some people mistake the MW for a P, because the main body looks the same, and the big governor housing. I have yet to see a factory installed P-pump on a DT360. To be sure, look at the numbers on the pump. Look for either of these: PES6A950 or PES6MW950 or PES6MW100. The dump truck's 466 would have a PES6P100, possibly PES6P110(if it was a hi torque).

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never actually seen a dt360. Closest thing was a dt408 that came into our shop, that was a p pump truck. I do have a service manual tucked away that has a dt360 on the front of it, and it looks to be p pumped. I will gank it tomorrow and read through it, see if it says that it is p pumps. I dont see why the dt466s would have them and the 360s wouldnt, not much sense there.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't say much about the performance of the DT466 or the DT360, though I have some anecdotal info regarding the DT360. I've never really worked on either, but I drove a school bus with the DT360, and I LOVED that bus, L-O-V-E-D that bus, it would do almost everything I wanted it to, except go fast, 59MPH was the MAX, but I loved that ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online