My first filtration rig... wmo processor

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first filtration rig and WMO Adventures with a 4bta Cummins

Hey guys... new to the forum.. been reading/researching a bit and built my first wmo processor

My truck is an 03' chevy tahoe z71 that I recently swapped a 4bta cummins diesel in.

I will probably only run a 20/80 blend since its starting to get cold... 20% wmo and 80% clean #2... should save around $20-$25 per fill throughout the winter...

Anyways... here is my setup so far...

You must be registered for see images attach

Setup goes from a ~55 gallon drum - 10 micron whole house - 5 micron whole house - 2 micron cimtek filter/filter head - storage barrels

My only concern at the moment is the settle/start drum leaking... the fitting in the bottom of the plastic drup is a 3/4" flange... its bolted through the drum with a lot of red rtv... I'm really hoping it holds. Also, I'm not sure if gravity will be enough to push through the 2 micron filter... might have to go from the 5 micron filter to the storage barrels and then pump from the barrels through the 2 micron to 5 gallon fuel can for use...

Not sure... we'll see here in a few days. Ive got several sources for oil so that wont be an issue... going to pick up 50gal tomorrow to get started.

I do have a question about blending... I know most make up w85... using RUG to lower the flashpoint of the wmo... would it be better to go on and blend my wmo with RUG and do 20% w85 / 80% diesel or just run the WMO without RUG?

Thanks for any input/advice.

-Chris

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
Get a bulkhead fitting at a farm supply store and replace your Rtv fitting thingy.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditch the filters and use a 'fuge.

Fuges are overrated.

It'll be pretty slow gravity filtering. I was draining a tank through a 10 micron and it took at least an hour to get maybe 3/4 of a 5 gallon can. Depends on how full the barrell is as well.

I cut my WMO with stale gas.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a fuge is in the future... planning on adding one to this setup if all goes well... just depends...

as far as the fitting goes... this is what it is...
http://www.tractorsupply.com/slk-3-4-in-galvanized-floor-flange-3149609

dont think it'll hold? I thought about a bulkhead fitting but didnt know about using one on a curved surface

the barrel will be full for the most part and I'm in no rush at this point... just getting started so time isnt an issue... Since I'll only be using 5gal. at a time for the winter months, it'll take me a while to use it.

I do happen to have stale gas... should I go the full 15% while filtering or just a bit?

-Chris

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will definitely help all trash settle out and flow much faster when gravity filtering. In the end it will probably save you on filters.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... learned a valuable lesson... catch pans incase of leaks are very imporant.. lols...

Had to change the main drum... had a hole that I didnt catch... so I went on and changed to a bulkhead fitting as suggested...

Anyways.. I'll post up some more pics later... but most of my oil is now in the settle drum.
-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alrighty... so here are some shots at the first attempt...

Here is a pic of the first barrel that sprung a leak... the local hardware store is donating all the fiberglass screen material I could want (scrap from old screens they replace)... so I place a large piece under the lid and pump through it to catch the larger debris.

After this drum was 3/4 full... I noticed the work bench was turning black... well crap. There was a pin hole in the bottom of the barrel. Hooked up a hose and redrained the drum and started over.

First up... Catch pan!

I also went with the suggestion to use a bulkhead fitting... drilled the hole tight... heated the drum up and threaded the bulkhead fitting into the hot plastic wth the gaskets in place... also used some pipe dope on the threads... shouldnt have any issues with leaks. Reused the ball valve and other fittings with a 90. I also used a 3" nipple on the inside of the drum threaded into the bulk head fitting to keep from getting the trash that settles. I'll have to clean the drum ever so often but it should do the trick.

One filter mounted...

Here is my collection drum and pump to go from the collection drum to the settle/start barrel...

To check for leaks... I prefilled my drum to the rim with water... let it sit for an hour on dry concrete and not a drop... so drained and dryed everything and got set back up.

I am using a "water-ace" pump to transfer... I shut it off about half way through to keep from cooking it... its not fast but I'm in no hurry. Will upgrade to something better later.

Cut the first batch with 3 gallons of RUG and pumped into the settle/start drum to sit for a few days. No leaks as of yet... I'll get the rest of my filters mounted and start processing the first batch. We'll see how it goes.

-Chris

wmoguy

Reaction score
Making progress!

Yes catch basins are a must. I found for a barrel like you have, a washing machine basin, which is about $15 at Lowes, works perfect.

I don't think Garden hoses are tolerant of oil. I'd consider upgrading to some fuel rated hose when you can.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't pump directly from the bottom on any tanks, specifically the first settling/holding tank.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about the barrel I'm pumping out of with the electric pump, that barrel is just for transport. The settle barrel is what I pump into... the bulkhead fitting is on the bottom of this barrel however the inlet to the fitting is 4+ inches from the barrel's floor to keep from picking up any trash, etc.

Hopefully this works but we'll see... I have to go low in the settle barrel on my setup since I'm using gravity instead of pressure.

Thanks for all the input guys... I'll hopefully start filtering here in a few days and start building my collection rig. Planning on going the sbc oil pump/drill route for now... I'll only be hauling 50gal. or so at a time... as long as I can get in and out within 20 minutes or so... I dont mind the wait. From my research, the sbc oil pump with a 1/2" drill and good hoses should flow 4ish gpm which would put me at around 13 minutes or so to transfer 50 gallons.

More to come soon hopefully
-Chris

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He should be fine

He'll just be sucking up the sludge first which defeats the purpose of letting it settle first before pumping. Plus any water accumulation is gonna kill filters too.

Unless you pump out of the barrell without filtering?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please elaborate?

How will I picking up sludge off the bottom of the barrel? The inlet to the bung on the bottom of the barrel is a good 4" off the floor of the drum... using a pipe inside...

Sorry for the craptastic drawing... but thats basically it.

Will this cause me issues or am I missing something? I thought that would allow plenty of room for settling... I wont be processing large amounts at a time so the barrel will get drained/cleaned every few hundred gallons

Thanks
-Chris

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made another small change this afternoon... this way my hose wont blow out of the top of my settle drum when filling... and the 1/2" 90 is for venting which I will eventually plumb to outside the shop most likely... but for now it'll work.

More to come tomorrow hopefully.

-Chris