Powerstroke ZF5 to a IDI truck?

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Will a transmission from a 1995 3/4 ton 7.3 power stroke work with a 89 1 ton 7.3 IDI? I am trying to do a auto to manual swap and found this great parts truck for sale for $1300.

ALSO...

If anyone needs anything off said 95 powerstroke, let me know. After I take the trans out I'm parting the rest.

PM me if you need something. But I really just need to know if this will work before I dig into it. Hate to get half way and discover a problem!

Thank you

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a zf from a 95 model psd behind my 92 idi. Seemed to work just fine. I had an automatic, so I had to lengthen and re-balance the driveshaft. I also bought a single mass flywheel and clutch set. I did not have any problems with my swap. Good luck with yours!

My truck is a 2wheel drive, I wouldn't have any advice on a 4wd. I think it would work though.

cowboytueller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mr. Shackleford I was wondering if you were interested in selling that E4OD when you swap that transmission?

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Any IDI transmission will bolt up to a 1st Gen Powerstroke, and vice versa. It's when you get into the Super Duty trucks that you get differences in the bell housing. Only thing different is the torque converter on PSD's is a 6 bolt and IDI's is a 4 bolt. But that doesn't matter to you since you're doing a 5 speed.

I might be interested in some engine pieces (or the whole thing) depending on price and availability.

R.Shackleford

Reaction score
Thank you guys. I would have hated to get started and run into a problem midway. It will be a few weeks before I get everything torn apart and back together. trying to do this on my days off and still deal with the family folk. ;Sweet Anyway, if you need something off the truck just send me a Private Message. Make me an offer, not sure what to charge for anything and not trying to make money off this. But it will be a few weeks before I have parts available.

Thank yall once again!:hail

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should be a thread resurrection haha I am getting ready to do a zf5 swap from a 97 Powerstroke to a 92 Idi. Will they bolt up? And also can I re use the fly wheel pressure plate clutch etc?

DaytonaBill

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This would be good to know since IDIs are disappearing from the pick n pulls...

Christopher Cline

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of all my research it appears it will indeed bolt up only question is the fly wheel to the crank, not sure if that will bolt up. I’ll be trying it out in a few weeks so I’ll update

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only issue is if your truck previously got the speedo cable driven by the trans, a psd truck's trans won't have a way to drive it as they get driven by the rear axle normally. I have a trans from a 96 truck in my 90, but luckily for me the previous owner had the trans rebuilt at a shop and he had it on an IDI so he had them put an IDI tail housing in that has the drive gear for the speedo.

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
My 91 has a zf from a 97 psd. As mentioned before, the speedo cable will be an issue on brick and bullnose. My wife has a 93 f350 with a 90 f450 super duty zf in it. No issue with bell housing there. Best part is knocked off the transmission brake and the bw1356 bolted right up in the brakes place. Not sure on flywheel. Never attempted that. Just got a new flywheel and clutch kit for my trucks year.