What Do You See in This Picture

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I found this and thought it may help others to understand what they are looking at. Lets look at the serpentine belt as it rolls over the tensioner. See all the cracks in it... Its long past replacement time for the belt. Also see how the belt is running off the front of the tensioner. That too needs to be replaced or at least find out why thats happening. It could be the water pump bearings are shot causing that pulley to run out of line. Now look at the heater return line to the water pump. See where the oil has been washed off and its rusty... thats a clear reason for a clamp thats not tight enough causing hot coolant to leak out and wash off the oil. Also the hose is too high up on the nipple. What else can you see in the picture...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-6-9-7-...pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary great game ya got going on here...do more of this..would ya please.

If I had to say it..that belt is routed all wrong...as the PS pump has less than 1/4 contact and IIRC that's WAY incorrect...but I cannot say for sure...it is different than the indicated routing here. Clearly the tensioner is a different one than in my diagram...updated model? I am suspecting it's the wrong belt myself...
You must be registered for see images attach

The wiring all over and around the alt is unsafe no upper but that's likely cause this rig is getting stripped down. I cannot tell what pump it is C2 or Saginaw...

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Green coolant, but then, I've become a FleetCharge (purple) kinda guy....

Also a v-belt kinda guy, too, so am learning from any comments about this pic.

Agreed, Gary! Great way to learn - looking at a real-world example.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Gary great game ya got going on here...do more of this..would ya please.

If I had to say it..that belt is routed all wrong...as the PS pump has less than 1/4 contact and IIRC that's WAY incorrect...but I cannot say for sure...it is different than the indicated routing here. Clearly the tensioner is a different one than in my diagram...updated model? I am suspecting it's the wrong belt myself...
You must be registered for see images attach

The wiring all over and around the alt is unsafe no upper but that's likely cause this rig is getting stripped down. I cannot tell what pump it is C2 or Saginaw...

isnt that routing for a stroke? water pump turns the wrong way and stuff is just in the wrong spots

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The above posting is for a psd engine and yes... It turns the water pump the opposite direction that our engines turn it. Too bad because we might have been able to use the psd fans on our engines... But sadly we can't.... Unless you want to push the air thru the radiater instead of pulling it thru..

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
so what are we soposta see the fancy tab on the belt tentioner for loosening it up to put the belt on ? sure would be nice if they all had that

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Riot. My 94 had a factory stroked belt diagram on it too. Support will work think they get confused from the factory.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The only reason I posted this was to allow those that have the serpentine belt setups to really look at everything. I pointed out some not so obivious things on the front of the engine and how it appears the tensioner is failing. Now for something that all have missed.... On the vacuum pump there is a missing belt guide. Ford no longer sells it so its not worth trying to find one. If you need to actually see this guide just go to ebay and enter tensioner. I found one in a serpentine belt repair kit. It has the belt, tensioner, guide and idler. Ford once sold this kit. I bought one several years ago and kept it behind my rear seat... It now resides in the shop. Just never needed it. But now I have a shock absorber tensioner, idler, 2 belts and one vacuum pump pulley behind the rear seat... Just in case of road side troubles. Also have the tool to press off and install the pulleys....