US Gear Dual Range Reliability?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What have you all heard about it? I had always thought these boxes were pretty much bulletproof short of running them out of oil or using the wrong oil or something. But then someone posted in a thread i have about custom mounting on the pirate board about dual range boxes being very unreliable.....

Thoughts?

Thanks,
~John

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I've always understood it, the guts of the boxes are very reliable. The problem is in the shift motor...if the unit is shifted properly (i.e. pull the switch, give the unit two seconds or so to pre-load the motor, then pop the clutch for a second for it to shift), all should be well, but IIRC one of the worst things you can do to it is to pull the switch and immediately pop the clutch...that makes the motor have to move the entire gear on its own, and the motor wasn't really designed to do this...and that'll result in a significantly reduced motor lifespan, and last I checked, finding a replacement motor isn't going to happen.

I wish that parts for these units could be sourced... :(

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a US gear in my crewcab. Only issue I ever had was a bad ground for the electrical. Otherwise it was bulletproof. I probably have 70-100K miles on mine when I tore my truck down. Stills looks good and feels tight.

I'd do another one in a heartbeat.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
I beleive the electric shift motor and switches (one in the box, one on the stick in cab) are all very common mid range truck 2speed axle parts. I have read an article on these adressing all of the issues, the only real ones mentioned were oil leaks and problems with the switch inside the gearbox, both fixable. It is definitly more rugged than a Gear Vendor, but needs more care by the operator. Anyone used to driving a 5 + 2 set up will be right at home.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I beleive the electric shift motor and switches (one in the box, one on the stick in cab) are all very common mid range truck 2speed axle parts. I have read an article on these adressing all of the issues, the only real ones mentioned were oil leaks and problems with the switch inside the gearbox, both fixable. It is definitly more rugged than a Gear Vendor, but needs more care by the operator. Anyone used to driving a 5 + 2 set up will be right at home.
You have my full attention...if you can find this article and/or verify where the electrics of one of these can be acquired from, I will be a VERY happy camper ;Sweet FWIW I have a second Doug Nash unit that I can pull the shift motor out and take pictures of next week; maybe you can compare that to what you know about the two-speed axle parts and we can figure out what can be used as a replacement. Let me know what you need to see...my spare unit's sitting in storage in L.A. and I'm going down there later this week, so I can get any info anyone needs on it over the course of that week...

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found what looks like the limit switches on the outside of the case, haven't actually ordered them yet though.

The rest of the electronic should be easy to replace. Only thing I'd be concerned about replacing is the shift motor.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
As I've always understood it, the guts of the boxes are very reliable. The problem is in the shift motor...if the unit is shifted properly (i.e. pull the switch, give the unit two seconds or so to pre-load the motor, then pop the clutch for a second for it to shift), all should be well, but IIRC one of the worst things you can do to it is to pull the switch and immediately pop the clutch...that makes the motor have to move the entire gear on its own, and the motor wasn't really designed to do this...and that'll result in a significantly reduced motor lifespan, and last I checked, finding a replacement motor isn't going to happen.

I wish that parts for these units could be sourced... :(

Parts can be sourced directly to GM TH350 parts. Most of the bearings and seals are just stock GM tranny stuff. IIRC, When I had one apart, the motor looked suspisiously like an older plow motor. (starter motor?)

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts can be sourced directly to GM TH350 parts. Most of the bearings and seals are just stock GM tranny stuff. (starter motor?)

How can that be? A TH350 is an automatic and the US Gear OD operated much like a manual transmission.

Ball & roller bearings in a US Gear OD are probably standard sizes. Same goes for the seals....no sence re-inventing the wheel. Syncronizers for the US Gear OD are sourced from the Ford top loader (if I remember correctly).

Dave