C6 to ZF5 swap

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking into swapping my C6 for a ZF5 out of a 460. I've been reading and searching the forums for days and trying to figure all the details out... sometimes there's too much info on this site to sort through. :confused:

Please bear with me if I missed a simple thread or tech section.

Can I use a ZF5 from a 460 2-wheel drive? Can I just bolt up my transfer case to the 2WD tranny? Or for ease, should I get a tranny from a 4x4?

Also, regarding the transfer case, is there any difference bolting my mine already on the back of the C6 to the ZF5, or are there different models of transfer cases that work/don't work?

I'm trying to figure out all the big items I need for the swap before I tear the truck apart since after that point I'll have no large vehicle to pick up the big items. (would look funny with a 1 ton engine stand getting pulled behind my motorcycle :eek: )

Thanks!

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Switching a ZF from 2wd to 4wd is possible, but not worth the trouble since you have to disassemble the whole trans to do it.
Your truck should have a BW1356 transfer case, which will bolt right to a 4wd ZF5. Some of the earlier trucks had a BW1345 (like I used behind my ZF5); they bolt up just the same, with the difference being in the linkage for the transfer case shifter.
A 460 ZF5 can be modified to bolt to the back of an IDI (there's a thread in the tech articles about it), but the easiest solution for you would be to just source a 4wd ZF that already has the IDI bolt pattern.

colorado_joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll just get a ZF5 from a 460 4x4 for simplicity.

How about the other parts? Master cylinder, slave cylinder, line between them, pedal assembly? Do those all have to be from a 460 if I'm using a tranny from a 460?

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
The line is different between the small block gas ZF and the big block/diesel ZF. The small blocks have an internal slave. The master cylinder is the same between them so long as the generation matches. The pedals for specific for each generation. The lhydraulic line is different because of the slave. You might as well just buy a new master and slave. They sell it as a kit with the line and prebled for easy install. Look for a slave cylinder thats metal not plastic. I keep a spare in my back seat from my bad luck with aftermarket slaves but this metal one seems to be fine.

you can use a zf from a f superduty 2wd (they only came as 2wd unless converted) and they will bolt to your transfer case.