Bed bolt sizes

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Anybody know what size the bed bolts are and where to get them for my '87? I bought it without a bed, and am trying to figure this out so I can get something back on it. I assume I'll also need the body mounts.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
They are 12 or 13mm carriage bolts. I am not sure how long. Probably a Ford or junkyard only item.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
go to a hardware store and get grade 8 carriage bolts, just get 1/2", ace here carries them up to 12" length, so you should be able to find em long enough

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given the issue of the stock bed bolts seizing up and being a cast-iron bear to remove, I'm very interested in this...is there anyone on here who's actually done it?

Thanks in advance ;Sweet
as far as you're concerned, you are screwed due to the salt in the air where you live. for the rest of us who live in the rust-free sections of the state, I will do a quick tack weld on the bolt head to the truck bed. it's the quickest way to keep them from turning. hose down the threaded section with the nut with kroil and go have a Coors. when done, I can hit every single one of them once with a impact and they all come right off. :D

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I gotta say is agreed with calvin. Messed with a bunch but he's got the answer. Or well it seems what worked for me. Weld or tack the head to the bed.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford didn't use a "regular" carriage bolt when they assembled these. It looks like a very large carriage bolt on the top portion, but then it necks down to approx 1/2"(probably something metric) where it goes through the frame.

If you use a regular 1/2" carriage bolt, you will also have to buy a very large washer to put under the carriage bolt head, since the hole in the bed is too big for the 1/2" carriage bolt. I just bought some washers that had a large enough ID that the square part of the carriage bolt would fit flush into. Of course when you do this, you have no way to hold the bolt to tighten it, so I ground 2 flats on the head of the bolt to put a crescent wrench on it.

That worked and looked ok, but it seemed all that trouble was just to get a smooth head on the bolt, and I decided it wasn't worth all that on the next truck I did, so on that one I just used regular hex head bolts with washers, and it works fine. I also am not impressed with the strength of the carriage bolts you can buy in the store. I had no problems with them holding the bed in place, but have had the heads pop off when the going got tough in other applications.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as far as you're concerned, you are screwed due to the salt in the air where you live. for the rest of us who live in the rust-free sections of the state, I will do a quick tack weld on the bolt head to the truck bed. it's the quickest way to keep them from turning. hose down the threaded section with the nut with kroil and go have a Coors. when done, I can hit every single one of them once with a impact and they all come right off. :D
Yeah, I figured that I'm SOL as far as getting the current bolts off :( but was hoping that the SuperDuty-style bolts would be easier to remove and would therefore be better as replacement bolts after the misery of getting the current bolts off LOL

I could always just get standard hex-head stainless bolts for replacements :angel: if they're strong enough...

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
You really don't need much strength, the load keeps the bed on the frame, the bolts just keep it together when doing wheelies. SS bolts will be plenty strong.