e4od vs c6 on 7.3 idi?????

ejmfire530

Reaction score
What's the pros and cons anyone know??? I'm looking at around 1800$ which I am like 95% absolutely not wanting to but pry gonna have to spend to rebuild it or I've found many good c6 on craigs for 150-600 built or not and have heard they are much cheaper to get rebuilt please I need as much input as I can get the c6 is very tempting!!!! Saves me a ton of money

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Depends on what you are going to do with the truck. C6 is cheaper and more reliable, but you give up OD and the associated fuel mileage improvement. I use mine for field work and playing around, and it rarely sees 55 MPH, so the C6 is great.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its as posted above plus the parts. A differant frive shaft, cross member, linkage for the kick down on the injection pump and finally the injection VVR switch.

DragRag

Reaction score
Pull the E40D your self, get it rebuilt, and install it yourself. A rebuild of an E4)d should not cost more then $1200, and sometimes can be had for less depending on where you are looking. No way i would stick a 3 speed trans in my truck, kills the mpg's on the highway. Contrary to popular belief a C6 is not a stronger trans either. I had had plenty of O.D. transmissions last 200k plus miles. A C6 could out last the E4 but you would still need to do linkage and wiring changes. Way to much work, not worth the change. A ZF5 installation is the only option really, your still stuck without overdrive with the T19 trans. E40D installation will be the easiest to complete, and most likely the cheaper option after all things considered.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Rebuild the E4OD.

You will save $$$$ in the long run. By the time you round up all the crap to convert it over, you will have spent more $$$ than its worth.:eek:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
You bet!!! Keep the e4od if you are doing any amount of highway driving. The fuel prices are not going to go down!!!!
But be sure to familiarize yourself with the E4od. They can be tempermental at times and you want to KNOW what its doing and how to keep it in good shape. You want to know what the symtoms are for the various sensors when they fail. I have had good luck with E4ods, I took the time to learn them, I take the time to keep them cool and I keep good synthetic fluid in them and I don't drive it like a teenager.

ejmfire530

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the advice it is very much appreciated now i just hope my tranny can hold on a few months while I save up some gabbage then haha I don't see why it wouldn't it runs fine shifts fine, I THINK it may be about to spit another converter as it does the bog down in about 3rd gear sounds terrible ect but will a manual lockup switch cure that until I can come up with the money to rebuild???? But other than that and the tranny fluid smells burnt and i was told by a shop it needa rebuilt it doesn't slip that i can feel

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I'm working on replacing a c6 with an e4od. Thats how muck I like od and a locking torque converter. Also 3.55 gears are behind the seat. :D

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what the heck is a C6? :D
when fuel is this crazy,the C6 is one very expensive transmission compared to the e40D.there is much more to consider than just purchase price.
a C6 truck is ok for just a 3k mile per year plow truck or something.if your going to be running a truck daily,the C6 has no place in your truck.it's a fuel economy killer.id run an old t-19 first.
like said,the only options to consider today for a DD is the Zf5 manual or E40D.the E40D is so far advanced over the old C6,you can't even compare them.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Enjoying this thread. I'm new on here, and have had crazy thoughts of a C6 into my E350 when the E4OD finally gives me grief.

Yeah, I know. The later ones never came with them, and I don't even know if the frame is drilled for the cross member. Maybe a ZF5 is a better choice, though the late-model Es don't look ready for clutch pedal & hydraulics.

That said, I have been blessed with a smooth-running E4OD, so I can sit back for now and learn from threads like this. Sure liked the C6 in my old gas F250, though.

Phantom-309

Reaction score
Yeah, I liked the C6 in my old mud-slinger as well, but with current fuel prices I cringe at my engine turning at anything over 2k rpms -

Not to hijack the thread, but what RPM's does yours run at when your at 60, 70 mph? Im in the process of replacing an E4OD but havent decided if Im going to go with a rebuild, or a "new" one from a local yard with a 90 day warranty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online