Anyone running a 4bt in an obs or brick here?

DragRag

Reaction score
I am curious as to what kind of real world mileage you would get with it backed by a zf5, or another type of manual trans with overdrive. I am thinking someday I will want to have such a beast if I can average a min of 25 plus mpg. I know they are only like 120hp, I'm not looking for power, I'm looking for economy.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Dont know in a F series truck. I knew a guy back in Oregon who repowered several chevies with them. He had a 4bt in a 90's model half ton suburban with the 4L80E tranny. Said it got high 20's on the highway.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think an AVERAGE of 25+ mpg's is optimistic. On the highway I could see it, but not all around average. I know the jeep crowd likes them and have seen alot of postings for mileage in the high 20's and a FEW low thirties. That is in a vehicle that weighs half of what a 3/4 ton pickup does.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
It all depends on weight and gearing, but You can get 25mpg. I have a stock 4bt on My 10k lbs work van and don't see the need for more power in the city, but moving a billboard on the highway I can still keep up with traffic up to 65mph.

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on weight and gearing, but You can get 25mpg. I have a stock 4bt on My 10k lbs work van and don't see the need for more power in the city, but moving a billboard on the highway I can still keep up with traffic up to 65mph.
any mpg readings?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I haven't checked since the injectors where rebuilt but before this I was getting 17mpg on the highway.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
So far Mine is running like a top! Very good power and fuel mileage. I was getting about 9 with the 30 over 5.0.

However it will be a while until I can get an actual mpg reading on the truck because I need to drop the tank and reseal the sending unit. So right now I cant fill it up, (cause it leaks when I do) put miles on it and fill it up again to check mileage. Hope to have the time to fix that in a week or 2.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ive thought about this too. my mechanic friend has a 4b in his commanche and easily got 32+ mpg before turning it up and putting compounds on it. of course he drives like an idiot too. like was said about thats in a light little truck... that has a 6" lift and 33s on it. its also very noisy and rattles EVERYTHING in the cab at various harmonic points in the rpm range.

Black dawg

Reaction score
a guy I know put a 4bt in a 77 crew that is lifted an sits on 35 or 37 inch tires. He took a trip to Florida and back and got 25mpg and it has power to spare.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Comparing mileage figures from jeeps to our trucks is not a good idea, they are aerodynamically stuck in the stone age compared.
A 4B should be good for 30 in a halfton, my 92 Dodge runs 21-23us on the highway.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online