DANA 60 INNER AXLE SEAL

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of changing ball joints on my 1993 with a dana 60 straight axle and have a inner ale seal that I need to change. I have never worked on a differential before what do I need to know about pulling it apart. Or whats the easiest way of changing the seals.

I have the axle shafts out and the cover off right now.

Thanks in advance for the help this web sight is awesome!!!!

JOHN

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
yup its a pain in the but. you have to drop the ring gear and carrier out then the seals pound out and in from the inside. What i did was get a LONG bar or stack extentions. You will pound the right side seal in going through the left side axle tube and the left side seal in going through the right side tube.

If i remember right there are 2 different versions of the seal. One has a metal guide cone on it so when you go to slide the axle shaft in it slides up the ramp of the cone and into the seal. The other version which is most common is just a flat seal and you have to pivot the axle shaft to get it lined up and through the seal. BE VERY CAREFULL you dont force it and tear a seal. Its do able just lots of patience.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have to pry the ring gear and carrier out how do you get it back in?

Thanks for the help.

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get it set in even and evenly tighten the bearing cap bolts, it will draw it in, then you have to torque them.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
They make a tool to push the seals in, I bought one when I did mine, worth the money IMO. I believe I got it off ebay. It looks like a large engine valve with a threaded shaft. Then it has a bushing that fits in the seal and you thread it to push the seal in.

Like this! but I didn't pay that much for mine...didn't have time to look a lot, getting ready to head out of town.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. My cousin came over and gave me a hand he did this before on his 94 f350 and he has a case spreader that he built that made the carrier come out and go in great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Staff online