Register to remove these ads

Thread: DANA 60 INNER AXLE SEAL

Thanks

Default DANA 60 INNER AXLE SEAL

I am in the process of changing ball joints on my 1993 with a dana 60 straight axle and have a inner ale seal that I need to change. I have never worked on a differential before what do I need to know about pulling it apart. Or whats the easiest way of changing the seals.

I have the axle shafts out and the cover off right now.

Thanks in advance for the help this web sight is awesome!!!!

JOHN
    1993 F350 XL crew cab long box, 4x4, zf5, SRW, 4.10 LS, 7.3 N/A. Hydroboost conversion with a super duty master cylinder and stainless steel brake lines from inlinetube.com. Battery cables from custombatterycables.com, Hypermax cowl air induction system with a K&N air filter in a rusty chrome air cleaner assembly with no soup bowl, 315-75r16 tires, Dynomax exhaust, manual glow plug button. Auto Meter Z-Series pyrometer and water temp, fuel turned up 1 flat.

CUSTOM BILLET ALUMINUM: injector return caps, coolant filter assembly, shift knob (dam that's cold in winter)

98% of the teenage population does, will try or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Yes that is probably the first and only billet aluminum injector return line cap.

BE DOOO BE DOOO BE DOOO Goofyexponent's Avatar
    Thanks

Undo the bearing cap bolts and pry the carrier and ring gear out...drop the tie rod to make some extra room.
    1994 F350 CCLB 2wd. Factory 351W, E4OD and 3.55's. Slowly coming together....

2001 Buick Regal GS -3800 Series II supercharged, Fenderwell intake, stainless headers, catless downpipe, full catback. Coming soon, reflashed ECM (overkill), 1.9 ratio rockers and a 3.4" pulley. Sub 13 second family sedan? Yes....yes it is.

Thanks

yup its a pain in the but. you have to drop the ring gear and carrier out then the seals pound out and in from the inside. What i did was get a LONG bar or stack extentions. You will pound the right side seal in going through the left side axle tube and the left side seal in going through the right side tube.

If i remember right there are 2 different versions of the seal. One has a metal guide cone on it so when you go to slide the axle shaft in it slides up the ramp of the cone and into the seal. The other version which is most common is just a flat seal and you have to pivot the axle shaft to get it lined up and through the seal. BE VERY CAREFULL you dont force it and tear a seal. Its do able just lots of patience.

1989 Ford F250 4x4 LB
    Cummins 12V 6BT swap
    (Working on some new goodies to come )

Thanks

I use a 3' by 2" wooden dowel pin to pop them out.
    1993 F350 CC DRW D60 Divorced NP205 with a 6bt KDP killed, 3200 governor spring, Banks IC, Piston Pump, getrag 360 w/4.10, 5" Stacks , Manual tranny starting system "The Mel Mode" Love it every time Mel,
    Hydroboost brakes.

1987 GMC utilimaster step van with a 4bt (KDP killed) 3.9l,HX35 turbo, Piston Pump, SM465 + Ranger III overdrive splitter.

05 PSD f250 4x4 auto srw, coolant filter, CC gas vent mod.

1984 f250 IDI, Yes IDI. c6, 4x4, meyer plow, custom front springs, custom rust.

a BOOB Man

Thanks

if you have to pry the ring gear and carrier out how do you get it back in?

Thanks for the help.
    1993 F350 XL crew cab long box, 4x4, zf5, SRW, 4.10 LS, 7.3 N/A. Hydroboost conversion with a super duty master cylinder and stainless steel brake lines from inlinetube.com. Battery cables from custombatterycables.com, Hypermax cowl air induction system with a K&N air filter in a rusty chrome air cleaner assembly with no soup bowl, 315-75r16 tires, Dynomax exhaust, manual glow plug button. Auto Meter Z-Series pyrometer and water temp, fuel turned up 1 flat.

CUSTOM BILLET ALUMINUM: injector return caps, coolant filter assembly, shift knob (dam that's cold in winter)

98% of the teenage population does, will try or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

Yes that is probably the first and only billet aluminum injector return line cap.

Thanks

get it set in even and evenly tighten the bearing cap bolts, it will draw it in, then you have to torque them.
    2003 F250 CCSB 6.0

1997 F250
    7.3 ZF-5
    Dana 60

1996 F150 Reg Cab
    351w (5.8) E4OD
    Hopes of an IDI swap
    Solid Axle Swap (SAS)
    79 8 lug dana 44 front
    86 F350 10.25 Rear 4.10's
    8' Western Unimount
    Money Pit...

1990 F250 4x4
    1994 7.3, ATS 088 Turbo
    Typ4 Injectors and Cam
    96 Dana 60 swap

98% of the teenage population does, will try or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature. -MidnightBlade

Thanks

do you know the torque the bolts should be at?

Thanks

PM please not visitor message

-Russ KD7VGT
    '91 f 350 4x4 cc srw,zf,7.3 ATS wastegated,intercooled, 218/461 dyno.
    '88 F350 dually, 2wd, WAS a 460 truck, now 7.3 na, c6, GV . Will do a studded turbo cammed engine later, we will name this truck "Turtle Hauler" , it will have the house on its back for a long time.
    fugitive sandrail with 2840 cc typ 4 turboed and injected engine much fun![/SIZE]

Thanks

They make a tool to push the seals in, I bought one when I did mine, worth the money IMO. I believe I got it off ebay. It looks like a large engine valve with a threaded shaft. Then it has a bushing that fits in the seal and you thread it to push the seal in.

Like this! but I didn't pay that much for mine...didn't have time to look a lot, getting ready to head out of town.
    1987 F250 6.9 4X4 - ZF5 Trans, 3.73 Dana 60 Front/Ford 10.25 rear, Dual Rear Wheels, Carter P4594 electric fuel pump, Hydroboost, Restrictive air filter opened up, Firewall repair kit installed, new clutch, solid flywheel, m/cyl and pedal bracket, bushings etc.,7.3 fuel filter conversion, Solid state controller OEM (new controller and Motorcraft GP's), Headlights converted to relay system with 65/100 Watt Cold Ice bulbs, Class V Hitch (10,000lb WC/15,000lb WD), Air Horns, Cadet 7' X 9' flat dump bed, 5 ton grainmaster dump hoist.

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone. My cousin came over and gave me a hand he did this before on his 94 f350 and he has a case spreader that he built that made the carrier come out and go in great.