Manual glow plugs

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you stick with the "automatic" factory type glowplug system, that's what you are going to have to deal with. When I changed mine over to manual, it still started, but ran rough for a few seconds a coupe of winters ago. After the weather warmed up enough in the spring to work on it, I found I had been running it with 3 bad glowplugs. The auto system would not have worked with that.

I personally don't mind dealing with it.

It's kind of a fail safe warning system. Makes you go look at the engine, which is always good for long term reliability. When we're forced to look, we can find other stuff that may give us indicators of other potential problems before they occur.... like checking the oil to make sure there isn't dilution or green and/or tan colors in it....or finding one of those problematic return line fittings leaking.

Most people aren't proactive and just react to the bad stuff, they just use it til it breaks.

It's the big stuff that ticks me off!!! :backoff

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to get mine to work the factory way. But when i put a wrench on the screw type controller it snapped off even with the head! I was like aww darn I guess Ill figure somethin else out. So far this way works pretty good it started the truck at 14 in the morning it was almost 0 that night with at least one bad glow plug probably more though. so I'm happy with it

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried to get mine to work the factory way. But when i put a wrench on the screw type controller it snapped off even with the head! I was like aww darn I guess Ill figure somethin else out. So far this way works pretty good it started the truck at 14 in the morning it was almost 0 that night with at least one bad glow plug probably more though. so I'm happy with it

Did I forget to tell you??

It was almost 50F at the house last night and today it's hovering around 77F.

Yaaaaawn.....Oh! Did someone say glow plug??? :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online