Coolant leak at back of engine.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Im driving to work this morning and I noticed the temp guage climing to the hot side so I slowed it down and limped it to work, I let it cool down till lunch and added a gallon of straight water to see where its leaking from well low and behold its coming out of the back of the engine, I noticed on my old block there are 2 freeze plugs I need to remove the tranny and see if its the freeze plugs leaking or if its a cracked block.
I cant believe this is happening after having the block worked on and me rebuilding the engine something like this should have been noticed before I just hope its a leaking freeze plug and I dont have to pull the engine again.
Are these engines known for cracking at the rear freeze plugs at the rear of the engine? :mad:

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
If you look at the stamp to the right of the IP gear cover the last five numbers have to be before 59208 in order to have the cracking issue. The later ones were casted different. Actually I experienced the same thing this morning with my 84, I thought shi# !!! Cracked block! But it looks as if whoever installed the block heater, stripped the treads and the block heater appers loose in the block. I am installing a frost plug in its place and hope that does the trick.
Does yours have a block heater?

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Seems like a common issue with these motors lately.

Icanfixall has written some good info on using only the Ford stainless steel replacements and using the correct tool to put them in.

PM him, or maybe he will come along here shortly.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Seems like a common issue with these motors lately.

Icanfixall has written some good info on using only the Ford stainless steel replacements and using the correct tool to put them in.

PM him, or maybe he will come along here shortly.
Yea I did speak to him on the phone earlier in the day but I need to know more about this special tool to install these freeze plugs

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
If you look at the stamp to the right of the IP gear cover the last five numbers have to be before 59208 in order to have the cracking issue. The later ones were casted different. Actually I experienced the same thing this morning with my 84, I thought shi# !!! Cracked block! But it looks as if whoever installed the block heater, stripped the treads and the block heater appers loose in the block. I am installing a frost plug in its place and hope that does the trick.
Does yours have a block heater?

Its not the block heater it was replaced with a freeze plug when the block was at the machine shop, the only thing I could think of is the freeze plug in the back of the engine fell out I did here a wierd noise like a bearing seizing up I think a freeze plug fell out and hit the flywheel.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That stinks! This has been a fear of mine since I read about Gary's experience with his freeze plugs. I told the machine shop not to pull the plugs when I had my block there. I was concerned they wouldn't have the correct tool and I certainly don't, and didn't want to be in a situation where they could be a catastrophic problem in the future.

Please let us know what you find. Someone may have the tool and can help you out with the plug if that is the issue.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My gut says freeze plug based on what you've said.

Ron will come along and say Moosetradomous says freeze plug.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
I'll keep everyone posted on this I sure hope its a freeze plug, but I do have another block here that I can use if need be, thanks for all the comments.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Here is the numbers off of the block in my truck right now U2 U197429 if anyone can decifer that let me know, ok so what I have found so far is coolant is leaking out of the back of the block on the left side, the bad part is I need to remove the tranny to see exactly where it is leaking from, more thank likly it is the freeze plug as fast as it is leaking out but when I puled the tranny inspection cover I didnt see any pieces of the freeze plug.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a "B" block. Serial numbers 59208 and below are "A" block...... 59209 and above (like yours) are "B."

Heath

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
pressure test it. my 86 leaks coolant out of the HG at the rear of the motor on pass side. it is a common spot. just an external leak normally. mine only leaks if i am ******* her and get it hot. could probly retorque the headbolts and get mine to stop but thats more work. lol

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
pressure test it. my 86 leaks coolant out of the HG at the rear of the motor on pass side. it is a common spot. just an external leak normally. mine only leaks if i am ******* her and get it hot. could probly retorque the headbolts and get mine to stop but thats more work. lol

Its not the head gaskets, I had one of the other guys that I work with help me with this during my lunch break, I got under the truck and removed the tranny inspection cover and had him pour water in so I could see where it was leaking from and that was the first thing I saw and maybe it could be that but I was wrong, it looks to be coming from the left side of the block behind the flex plate so I need to remove the trannyto find the exact point of the leak and repair it which Im hopin its the freeze plug.

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
view of back of engine

Ok so as myself and everyone else had suspected the left freeze plug popped out and fell into the starter cavity of the tranny
My question is do I reuse the old one or buy a new one to replace the old one?

Attachments

• back of engine.JPG
    back of engine.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 34

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Is it brass??? No matter what. Never attempt to reuse a freeze plug that pops out of an idi. These blocks require a stainless steel plug. Also you have no idea why that plug came out. If its an after market brass plug then thats your reason. Time to replace all 7 of them. International or Ford will sell you a set of 7 to do the complete block...You need the proper tool to install them. Trying to hammer them in without the tool may not work correctly. Its difficult knowing how deep to make the dent in the middle so the plug expands the right amount. It can be done without the tool but its a chance being taken too. Use some sealant around the plug too. Permatex aviation cement number 2 works. Or rtv or ??? The factory used a sealant thats no longer available...