Register to remove these ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove ignition lock cylinder without keys?

Thanks

Default How to remove ignition lock cylinder without keys?

Is there a trick to getting this thing out? Or can I just drill out the little stud that keeps it in place in the column?

This is a junkyard non-tilt column to replace a tilt column that's broke. I'm trying to replace the lock cylinder with a good one from the store with keys so it actually works.
    1975 GMC "Gentleman Jim" "Jimmy"
    - 6.2 Turbo / 700r4 / 3.40 rear

94.5 F350 Dually Crew Cab
    - 7.3 PSD / ZF5 / 3.55 LSD rear
    ... Got my Dana 60, now just waiting on time for a 4wd swap.

OB'ers I've met... 6.9poweredscout, BrandonBerkosky, Smolkin, itsacrazyasian, fordf350man, cpdenton, RLDSL

Thanks

That's what I did, I drilled the little button out on the bottom that you are supposed to push in when you have the key to remove cylinder. It was a pita, but it worked in the end. I bought one without a key to.
    www.hollistersignco.com

http://www.facebook.com/HSChollister

"if you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen."

-Barack Hussein Obama

Bleeds IH red... 6.9poweredscout's Avatar
    Thanks

Yeah I had a bronco with no keys, broke the cylinder so I could get it to turn, then pushed the button and it slid out.
    -Jon
    It's not a JUNKYARD, it's an OUTDOOR AUTO MUSEUM!

1980 International Harvester
    Terra Scout II
    6.9L IH Diesel
    D60/D60 4.10's

'91 F350 CCLB 4X4
    7.3L Banks Sidewinder, Faucet lift pump, 6637 filter
    90cc pump, ZF5-1356, fast fill mod, Custom bumpers, RSK D60 4.10s.

'71 IH Travelette-DT466 swap

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 6.9poweredscout View Post
    Yeah I had a bronco with no keys, broke the cylinder so I could get it to turn, then pushed the button and it slid out.
    How did you break it to turn?

OB'ers I've met... 6.9poweredscout, BrandonBerkosky, Smolkin, itsacrazyasian, fordf350man, cpdenton, RLDSL

Dunce
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lindstromjd View Post
    How did you break it to turn?
    Vise grips

Thanks

Pop the chrome piece off and drill straight through the center with a good size bit.stick a screwdriver in it, wiggle and turn it.
    Rich

Pictures:
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/albums/a590/f450sprdty

: Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then, will you find money can't be eaten.
    95 F350 XLT,CC,DRW.gone but not forgotten

1982 pontiac grand prix LJ.pontiac V8 transplant in the future.

Goin back to my roots.gas motors and pontiacs!

Thanks

HAve to be REAL careful if drilling down through. I tried that trick and followed every instruction I could find to a T... and wound up drilling all the way through to the gear mechinism Trashed that steering column. I like the idea of drilling through the button better, because EVEN after thrashing everything, I still had to maul the thing apart and that stinking button was what was holding everything up
    '92 f350 cc dually, 5 sp+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie , Solid Flywheel & Kevlar Clutch, 7.3 ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl Induction, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator,Evan's waterless coolant,Zero pressure system, MS Tech Fan Clutch, 16" & 10" electric pusher fans,Derale Electra-cool remote oil cooler, 4" exhaust,Dual Facet Duralift E-pumps, 150 Gallon bed tank from a Volvo semi, Amsoil bypass filter w/ Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel and Marine , Victor Reinz gaskets , Western Hauler bed, Warn M12000 winch, Per Lux fog Lights, Borgeson steering shaft, 1" hockey puck lift,Rear air conditioning, Air seat, Onboard air system with rear air bags with automatic level control,West coast mirrors, Bilsteins

* Life is like a crap sandwich... The more bread you've got, the less crap you have to eat

Bleeds IH red... 6.9poweredscout's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
    Vise grips
    and a hammer and screwdriver....
    -Jon
    It's not a JUNKYARD, it's an OUTDOOR AUTO MUSEUM!

1980 International Harvester
    Terra Scout II
    6.9L IH Diesel
    D60/D60 4.10's

'91 F350 CCLB 4X4
    7.3L Banks Sidewinder, Faucet lift pump, 6637 filter
    90cc pump, ZF5-1356, fast fill mod, Custom bumpers, RSK D60 4.10s.

'71 IH Travelette-DT466 swap

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RLDSL View Post
    HAve to be REAL careful if drilling down through. I tried that trick and followed every instruction I could find to a T... and wound up drilling all the way through to the gear mechinism Trashed that steering column. I like the idea of drilling through the button better, because EVEN after thrashing everything, I still had to maul the thing apart and that stinking button was what was holding everything up
    That's why youre supposed to check every so often.wiggle it around a little and what's left of the tumblers will fall out.turn it and push the pin in.can also use a pin punch to drive the pin in
    Rich

Pictures:
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/albums/a590/f450sprdty

: Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then, will you find money can't be eaten.
    95 F350 XLT,CC,DRW.gone but not forgotten

1982 pontiac grand prix LJ.pontiac V8 transplant in the future.

Goin back to my roots.gas motors and pontiacs!

Thanks

I just use my lock picks to get the cyl to move and push the pin...you can google Ford Lock pics for images or I could somehow take pics of them you can the cut them yourself....
    I am an Amsoil Dealer ask me for details....

92 F250 4x4
    RC (Crippled Hippo)
    May add the following...from other trucks
    Home built wood deck, 7.3/ZF 5sp, custom Turbo
    Champion Rad, TYT TH 9000 VHF radio Yeasu FT3000 2M, Braden ARMS3 PTO winch front, Ramsey RE 8000 winch rear, and MORE TO COME!

91 F350 4x4 RC AKA (White Rhino) + 93 F250 4x4 SC (Brow Bruin)...for parts + 90 Bronco AKA (THE TUG)
    ITS THE build path to a BIGGER Bronco SAY a SC 1Ton Bronco!

VE7LAA

AKA...Al or "Camo Pants"

It's TOO late to read the book on how to swim when the boat's going down

Quote Originally Posted by icanfixall View Post
    ... Everyone around me is flat ass useless.... A bunch of short bus window lickers........The amps will smoke the wire faster than a prom dress comes off in the back seat of a 55 chevy...
    Quote Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA View Post
    ..... I will light you up so bad you'll think God himself is coming for you! ....
    Quote Originally Posted by towcat View Post
    .. It's not a redneck hell-hole... it's a garden of inspiration!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 94f450sd View Post
    That's why youre supposed to check every so often.wiggle it around a little and what's left of the tumblers will fall out.turn it and push the pin in.can also use a pin punch to drive the pin in
    I stopped every mm and checked, but what I didn't count on was the cheap stinking metal pushing together to where you couldn't tell that it had already broken through from the key assembly to the outer chamber. The stuff is so soft it all fused together like it was one piece while drilling
    '92 f350 cc dually, 5 sp+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie , Solid Flywheel & Kevlar Clutch, 7.3 ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl Induction, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator,Evan's waterless coolant,Zero pressure system, MS Tech Fan Clutch, 16" & 10" electric pusher fans,Derale Electra-cool remote oil cooler, 4" exhaust,Dual Facet Duralift E-pumps, 150 Gallon bed tank from a Volvo semi, Amsoil bypass filter w/ Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel and Marine , Victor Reinz gaskets , Western Hauler bed, Warn M12000 winch, Per Lux fog Lights, Borgeson steering shaft, 1" hockey puck lift,Rear air conditioning, Air seat, Onboard air system with rear air bags with automatic level control,West coast mirrors, Bilsteins

* Life is like a crap sandwich... The more bread you've got, the less crap you have to eat

Full Access Member
    Thanks

The official method the factory manual tells you to do has already been mentioned; A hammer and a large screwdriver or chisel. Put the chisel behind the chrome piece, and hit it with a hammer to break the chrome piece off. Then you can get to the button to release it and the tumbler.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franklin2 View Post
    The official method the factory manual tells you to do has already been mentioned; A hammer and a large screwdriver or chisel. Put the chisel behind the chrome piece, and hit it with a hammer to break the chrome piece off. Then you can get to the button to release it and the tumbler.
    Ok, the chrome piece is now off, but it still won't turn. I guess I'll just keep at it with whatever combination of these methods ends up working for me.

Yeah, it's a CHEVY! GenLightening's Avatar
    Thanks

The one I did for a friend took all of 2 mins with a Dyno Kwick Pick. Stupid easy to do.....
    At least I think it was his truck!
    Doug

'88 Chevy 1Ton CC DRW 2wd
    6.9 IH IDI w/Banks Sidewinder
    Rodney Red custom radiator
    E4OD w/Baumann controller and Racer-X triple disc TC

Thanks

Finally got it off and replaced... ended up driving a screwdriver down into the cylinder after breaking off the chrome piece, and broke off every one of the tumblers one by one using the bigger screwdriver. Used a small eyeglasses screwdriver to pick the tumblers out after they were broken off. Thanks everyone for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast