towing traction, posi? locker?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I had a Detroit Locker and 31 spline alloy axles in a 9" in my 74 F-100. I'm telling you I hauled and towed with it as if it were a one ton. I ran 35x12.50-15 BFG Mud TA's. The only time it got squirley was when negotiating the old circles that used to be common, especially in the rain. The weight of towing and hauling calms the locker down a bit if you ask me. I would use one in a minute.:sly;Sweet

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I had a Detroit Locker and 31 spline alloy axles in a 9" in my 74 F-100. I'm telling you I hauled and towed with it as if it were a one ton. I ran 35x12.50-15 BFG Mud TA's. The only time it got squirley was when negotiating the old circles that used to be common, especially in the rain. The weight of towing and hauling calms the locker down a bit if you ask me. I would use one in a minute.:sly;Sweet

thanks for the input, kind of leaning towards a true track detroit...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
yep I ran I lunchbox locker (Lock-rite brand) and didn't have any issues with black ice but then again I wasn't hammering the throttle either when the conditions weren't dry pavement.

Would I install another - you bet without a blink of the eye. What I found was I didn't drive in ice and snow with the cruise control on which I didn't do even when it was a open diff. Yes the lunchbox locker banged and complained in a parking lot with no trailer in tight turns but toss a trailer back there and she didn't complain at all. I attributed this to the fact I ran a stick shift so I had no slippage from an auto converter. when the clutch is engaged she's got coupling to the engine so there was no cushion that a tq convert would give.

Not saying that I would have never ran into a situation that she wouldn't kick out on me but in close to 100k miles I didn't run into it. The lunch box would send the back end sliding just about as much as the LSD in the Enterprise did in ice and snow. But I knew it had the potential so I drove accordingly. Now for getting unstuck I loved the fact that both turned at the same rate - if I could get one tire on traction I was out - period.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online