93 7.3 IDI wont start

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
I just baught a 93 F350 and it will not start was told it was the cut-off solenoid is there any way to check it before i spend 200 on a new one.Or any idea what it could be WTS light comes on for less than a second and all i hear is clicking when key is on it rolles over strong fuel coming from fuel pump but nothing from injectors. getting fuel from return line back to cut-off solenoid. HELP

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Hook a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to the shutoff solenoid and see if it clicks when you apply power. Check your glowplugs using a test light. Hook the clamp of the test light to the hot side of the battery and stick the probe end on the top of the glowplug. If it lights up, it's good, if it don't, it's bad.

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
the solenoid has a crack in the housing that i think is letting fuel in to the electronics so it needs to be replaced anyway but the glow plug controller just clicks

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
i checked the glow plugs and they dont light so i need to replace all 8 of them any brand better or are they all about the same?

DMax Demon

Reaction score
check your controller the previous owner my have wired it wrong i had a 94 and they got didnt hook it up rite. if not hooked up rite it shorts and just clicks.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the wts light should stay on for several seconds. I put my seat belt on and still have to wait on my 93's light to go out. Bad glow plugs will cause the relay to click on and off. When the glow plugs heat up it causes more resistance which is sensed by the relay and that tells it to shut off. Bad glow plugs have a higher resistance and causes the relay to kick off and on.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
the wts light should stay on for several seconds. I put my seat belt on and still have to wait on my 93's light to go out. Bad glow plugs will cause the relay to click on and off. When the glow plugs heat up it causes more resistance which is sensed by the relay and that tells it to shut off. Bad glow plugs have a higher resistance and causes the relay to kick off and on.

the relay clicking is normal. if the plugs are on solid for "x" amount of time then you hear the click, that is the afterglow. it is to help clear up start up smoke when cold. you are correct though bad plugs will cause a short cycle.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clicking is normal to most people because at least one of there glow plugs is going bad. If everything is new and working properly it will not click off and then click right back on and then off. There is no such thing as afterglow there's only on and off. In a properly working system the plugs will still be on with out ever clicking off after the wts light goes out and that is to help ignition and smoking. The relay clicks off because the resistance is to high in bad glow plugs. It is immediately turned back on though because the engine is still cold and the remaining plugs are not up to temp. The real difference between a perfect system and a system that has problem is the rate at which the plugs cycle on and off. They will both cycle on and off one with a bad plug will cycle on and off faster than the seconds can tick off on a watch but the truck will crank and run. After all, It only takes one cylinder to fire off and your ready to go.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
The clicking is normal to most people because at least one of there glow plugs is going bad. If everything is new and working properly it will not click off and then click right back on and then off. There is no such thing as afterglow there's only on and off. In a properly working system the plugs will still be on with out ever clicking off after the wts light goes out and that is to help ignition and smoking. The relay clicks off because the resistance is to high in bad glow plugs. It is immediately turned back on though because the engine is still cold and the remaining plugs are not up to temp. The real difference between a perfect system and a system that has problem is the rate at which the plugs cycle on and off. They will both cycle on and off one with a bad plug will cycle on and off faster than the seconds can tick off on a watch but the truck will crank and run. After all, It only takes one cylinder to fire off and your ready to go.

if that is true then i think everybody on here needs to fix there glow plug system. the clicking is the relay turning on and off. the controller is turning the relay on and off. My gp relay will click after 10 sec or so with 8 brand new beru glow plugs. as far as the after glow i have heard about that on here and read that in the diesel manual that came with my truck. IT is a real thing and does happen.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
The clicking is normal to most people because at least one of there glow plugs is going bad. If everything is new and working properly it will not click off and then click right back on and then off.

Not on my truck... it starts great well below freezing and the glow plugs continue to come on intermittently until the engine warms up.

sdbullrider

Reaction score
its more than likely that its the glow plugs, but i had a 92 IDI and when the valve guides wear out you lose compression and it wont fire without ether. the valve guide issue will depend on how many miles are on it and how hard its been ran and if its done a lot of heavy pulling

purg113

new to me f350
Reaction score
okay I do beleave this thread is closed my truck had 8 bad GP's and a bad IP replaced gp"s they work great. the after glow easy way to hear it it turn key to run the wts light comes on get out of the truck and listen to your gp sylanoid you can hear it working.