HELP!wait to start light works only sometimes/ glow plugs may not be working properly

IDIotbobby

Reaction score
i just bought a 1992 7.3 when i put the ignition in the on position my wait to start wont come on. i doubt it is a fuse cause sometimes it will come on, any ideas. also in the mornings when i go to sart it i get no light so i wait for about a minute to start, turn the key, it cranks but wont start. i put it back in the run position try again and it starts. the temperture hasnt been getting lower than 45 at night. this is my first diesel so im new to it all. just trying to figure it all out. any ideas?

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just bought a 1992 7.3 when i put the ignition in the on position my wait to start wont come on. i doubt it is a fuse cause sometimes it will come on, any ideas. also in the mornings when i go to sart it i get no light so i wait for about a minute to start, turn the key, it cranks but wont start. i put it back in the run position try again and it starts. the temperture hasnt been getting lower than 45 at night. this is my first diesel so im new to it all. just trying to figure it all out. any ideas?

How sad is this... just happened to me this morning too. :dunno

I replaced the GP relay and Beru's a month or so ago and all was good until this AM.

Did I burn it out already?

I have exactly the same symptoms as you described.

IDIotbobby

Reaction score
well this morning my wait to start light worked once the light went off she started right up. but when i left school a turned the key, guess what. no light. i really dont have a clue what is going on.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed and reinstalled my turbo yesterday and my light quite as well.the relay doesn't sound like its working properly but it is working and the truck does start. Its just one more thing I have to look into.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i havent looked into it but my WTS light does not always come one, it i will work for a bit then not. what i do is watch the volt gage to see whats going on. everything is working except the light. i know that when the voltage pops up the glow plugs are done and it starts normally.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i havent looked into it but my WTS light does not always come one, it i will work for a bit then not. what i do is watch the volt gage to see whats going on. everything is working except the light. i know that when the voltage pops up the glow plugs are done and it starts normally.

Here's the latest on mine and theory.

Yesterday afternoon, my light didn't come on again either, got it started with puff of white smoke- raw unburned diesel...atomized diesel.

This morning, I turned the key to on, light didn't come on so I turned it off. The second time, I accidentally went a hair beyond on, but not all the way to start. The light popped on.

I think the GP relay's solenoid is sticking or there's carbon build up inside the solenoid. I noticed lately, the GP is clicking. It can be heard and seen on the volt meter bouncing as it clicks. One or more of the Beru's may be going, new ones too.

It's either that, or my ignition switch is going bad.

I don't know if I'm just cookoo or if I'm on the path to repair.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The RED/Lt.Grn wire powers the GPR from the key switch. Check the hot wire to the key switch. Try to start, if starter energizes then, power to switch is OK. Check power (Red/Lt.Grn) to GPR at the GPR with key switch to ON. Check ground (Black) at the GPR.

Next post for Capt.Tom. go there.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This post for Capt. Tom.

http://search.ebscohost.com/

User -- Bedford Pass--library
Click the following, Auto Rep. Ref, 2003, Ford, Select -V8 7.3 Diesel,Wiring diag., engine controls. Then select one of the four wiring diagrams.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works for you.

Anyone else, there is a wealth of info there, not all Ford wiring diagrams are there.

Last edited:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This post for Capt. Tom.

http://search.ebscohost.com/

User -- Bedford Pass--library
Click the following, Auto Rep. Ref, 2003, Ford, Select -V8 7.3 Diesel,Wiring diag., engine controls. Then select one of the four wiring diagrams.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works for you.

Anyone else, there is a wealth of info there, not all Ford wiring diagrams are there.

OB8..... THAT!.....IS!.....INCREDIBLY!......GREAT!.....INFO! :thumbsup: :hail

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01