Register to remove these ads

Thread: HELP!wait to start light works only sometimes/ glow plugs may not be working properly

Thanks

question HELP!wait to start light works only sometimes/ glow plugs may not be working properly

i just bought a 1992 7.3 when i put the ignition in the on position my wait to start wont come on. i doubt it is a fuse cause sometimes it will come on, any ideas. also in the mornings when i go to sart it i get no light so i wait for about a minute to start, turn the key, it cranks but wont start. i put it back in the run position try again and it starts. the temperture hasnt been getting lower than 45 at night. this is my first diesel so im new to it all. just trying to figure it all out. any ideas?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IDIotbobby View Post
    i just bought a 1992 7.3 when i put the ignition in the on position my wait to start wont come on. i doubt it is a fuse cause sometimes it will come on, any ideas. also in the mornings when i go to sart it i get no light so i wait for about a minute to start, turn the key, it cranks but wont start. i put it back in the run position try again and it starts. the temperture hasnt been getting lower than 45 at night. this is my first diesel so im new to it all. just trying to figure it all out. any ideas?
    How sad is this... just happened to me this morning too.

I replaced the GP relay and Beru's a month or so ago and all was good until this AM.

Did I burn it out already?

I have exactly the same symptoms as you described.
    2003 F250 6.0l 4x4 Camper Special, Line-X, shell, electric trailer brakes, rest is stock.scared to drive her 145,000 miles on it, cost me $37k new. Ford and Int'l owes me big time!
    1990 F250 XLT Lariat, all stock 7.3l 2WD, Fugly paint, 76k miles for $1.5k! Not afraid to drive her.
    1987 300D Turbo Mercedes 6 cyl love to drive her, nor am I afraid to. All stock, mostly broken amenities. Cost $2997.00 used. 30MPG, runs like a bat outta Hades!
    1984 40' X-Navy utility boat, 671 N/A, 244 HP all torque, max. speed 10 knots, goes to sea almost daily, used for towing and salvage... ain't afraid to drive her in a sheet storm. Cost to rebuild engine and tranny MOH $5k.
    1982 24' Sea Ray Sundancer, 2008 VW 5 cyl 150 HP high speed diesel, Volvo 290 O/D, speed 36 knots, private rescue boat, only burns 3 gallons per hour... ain't afraid to drive her or afraid I won't get to my broke customer in time. Cost of new engine, installed with O/D rebuild and systems conversions from gasoline $15k.

Thanks

well this morning my wait to start light worked once the light went off she started right up. but when i left school a turned the key, guess what. no light. i really dont have a clue what is going on.

Full Access Member
    Thanks

I removed and reinstalled my turbo yesterday and my light quite as well.the relay doesn't sound like its working properly but it is working and the truck does start. Its just one more thing I have to look into.
    1989 F250 supercab 4X4, 4.10's , 180,000 miles, ran great till the 7.3 died, NOW Sporting an 86 6.9, Dana 60 front, hydroboost conversion, 38 gal rear tank, zf5 baby moose, factory ats turbo, 38.5 michelin xmls, F450 front springs with a total of 5-6inches of lift. - beyond driving at the moment.

1990 ford ranger, boring old 4 banger, now 4x4 with 35s and 7 inches of lift. Brothers now with a 302

2001 Vw Jetta tdi. 145k getting around 48-50mpgs

87 f350 cc 2wd 6.9 - possible project - sold to biggin92

90 f350 cab n chassis 4x4 dually 7.3, e4od with 100k (best $950 Ive ever spent) - sold

92 f350 cc dually 9ft flatbed with 093 ats turbo, full guage set, 210k. (latest addition, may become my new driver) - sold to my brother

91 dodge w350. 727, 3.08 gears, 8 inches of lift on 38x15.5x16.5 parnelli dirt grips, great mpgs and plenty of power

"Old enough to know better, young enough to just not care!"
    "A good decision is the top answer on a list of bad ones."

Thanks

yah im not too worried about it but i definatly want it fixed before the cold weather sets in

Thanks

Check the GP's. If any are dead, You'll get shorter glow times.
    Rob

85 F250 4X2- 6.9/C6/3.55 Damn near all rebuilt. To much to list * 93 F250 SCab 4X2-7.3/SidewinderII/ZF5/3.55 * 93 F150 4x4-5.0/AOD
    And a couple of Subaru Outback's

Thanks

i havent looked into it but my WTS light does not always come one, it i will work for a bit then not. what i do is watch the volt gage to see whats going on. everything is working except the light. i know that when the voltage pops up the glow plugs are done and it starts normally.
    Jared, the artist formerly known as Jred on the board. Be kind to the mods, they are all powerful!

94 5 speed, 4 door, 4 wheel drive NOW A TURBO with 195'ish in the ticker
    and my other loves.....
    79 Jeep CJ-7 t-18, D44 rear, Wrangler tub, and a fun loving 360 V-8 (engine and trans pulled and sold waiting for a 6.9 )

48 Willy's pickup 4 wheel drive with the Super Hurricane six shooter

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jred View Post
    i havent looked into it but my WTS light does not always come one, it i will work for a bit then not. what i do is watch the volt gage to see whats going on. everything is working except the light. i know that when the voltage pops up the glow plugs are done and it starts normally.
    Here's the latest on mine and theory.

Yesterday afternoon, my light didn't come on again either, got it started with puff of white smoke- raw unburned diesel...atomized diesel.

This morning, I turned the key to on, light didn't come on so I turned it off. The second time, I accidentally went a hair beyond on, but not all the way to start. The light popped on.

I think the GP relay's solenoid is sticking or there's carbon build up inside the solenoid. I noticed lately, the GP is clicking. It can be heard and seen on the volt meter bouncing as it clicks. One or more of the Beru's may be going, new ones too.

It's either that, or my ignition switch is going bad.

I don't know if I'm just or if I'm on the path to repair.
    2003 F250 6.0l 4x4 Camper Special, Line-X, shell, electric trailer brakes, rest is stock.scared to drive her 145,000 miles on it, cost me $37k new. Ford and Int'l owes me big time!
    1990 F250 XLT Lariat, all stock 7.3l 2WD, Fugly paint, 76k miles for $1.5k! Not afraid to drive her.
    1987 300D Turbo Mercedes 6 cyl love to drive her, nor am I afraid to. All stock, mostly broken amenities. Cost $2997.00 used. 30MPG, runs like a bat outta Hades!
    1984 40' X-Navy utility boat, 671 N/A, 244 HP all torque, max. speed 10 knots, goes to sea almost daily, used for towing and salvage... ain't afraid to drive her in a sheet storm. Cost to rebuild engine and tranny MOH $5k.
    1982 24' Sea Ray Sundancer, 2008 VW 5 cyl 150 HP high speed diesel, Volvo 290 O/D, speed 36 knots, private rescue boat, only burns 3 gallons per hour... ain't afraid to drive her or afraid I won't get to my broke customer in time. Cost of new engine, installed with O/D rebuild and systems conversions from gasoline $15k.

Thanks

The RED/Lt.Grn wire powers the GPR from the key switch. Check the hot wire to the key switch. Try to start, if starter energizes then, power to switch is OK. Check power (Red/Lt.Grn) to GPR at the GPR with key switch to ON. Check ground (Black) at the GPR.

Next post for Capt.Tom. go there.
    Last edited by OLDBULL8; 10-07-2011 at 10:23 AM.
    Sent from my Dell puter, Miss spels a lot a wards, a woords.

You said what?
    I'm not Crazy, my Mother had me tested!

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
    ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

"92" F350 7.3 IDI CC LB DW E4OD US Gear O/U 4:10 Gauges EGT--Boost--Trans.Temp--Banks turbo White Knight

AutoEnginuity with Ford Enhanced.

My mind works lightening fast.
    One FLASH and it's gone forever.

Thanks

This post for Capt. Tom.

http://search.ebscohost.com/

User -- Bedford Pass--library
    Click the following, Auto Rep. Ref, 2003, Ford, Select -V8 7.3 Diesel,Wiring diag., engine controls. Then select one of the four wiring diagrams.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works for you.

Anyone else, there is a wealth of info there, not all Ford wiring diagrams are there.
    Last edited by OLDBULL8; 10-07-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Sent from my Dell puter, Miss spels a lot a wards, a woords.

You said what?
    I'm not Crazy, my Mother had me tested!

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
    ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

"92" F350 7.3 IDI CC LB DW E4OD US Gear O/U 4:10 Gauges EGT--Boost--Trans.Temp--Banks turbo White Knight

AutoEnginuity with Ford Enhanced.

My mind works lightening fast.
    One FLASH and it's gone forever.

Thanks

thumbsup

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBULL8 View Post
    This post for Capt. Tom.

http://search.ebscohost.com/

User -- Bedford Pass--library
    Click the following, Auto Rep. Ref, 2003, Ford, Select -V8 7.3 Diesel,Wiring diag., engine controls. Then select one of the four wiring diagrams.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it works for you.

Anyone else, there is a wealth of info there, not all Ford wiring diagrams are there.
    OB8..... THAT!.....IS!.....INCREDIBLY!......GREAT!.....INFO !