Water Pump change on my '03 RAM TD

GWDriver

Reaction score
Just a quick question. I just returned from taking my daughter back to Vanderbilt U. in Nashville. Got back to San Antonio and noticed a clatter from in front of the engine. Popped the hood and noticed the water pump pulley vibrating back and forth kinda 'radical' to say the least. Truck is now stopped until I change the water pump.

Has anyone changed one on an '03 RAM TD?? How difficult is it?? Is there a good tech writeup on it on the forum?? Last but far from least.............Cost??

Thankls guys and gals..

Semper Fi!

P.S. Yeah, I've changed water pumps before and know the signs. Just never changed one on one of these trucks.

Last edited:

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its very simple one bad thing is the one piece fan shround. If i remember correctly theres only 2 bolts holding the pump on. Ill bet i could find a write up but if youve done one before it shouldnt be bad at all.

-Jordan-

GWDriver

Reaction score
Its very simple one bad thing is the one piece fan shround. If i remember correctly theres only 2 bolts holding the pump on. Ill bet i could find a write up but if youve done one before it shouldnt be bad at all.

-Jordan-

Thanks Jordan, I guess you're the only person on the forum to tackle this little problem. I'm not sure about the fan shroud, I've heard two bolts/four bolts. I've also heard that the shroud doesn't actually have to come out though that makes the swap easier. Mainly, that just the top two bolts have to be out. I'll see when I get into the mess.

There is more than one type of pump out there at the parts stores. Two that come to mind are the Cardone (new and remanned) and the Murray. Is there any appreciable difference from the Chrysler product at the stealership?? Other than price that is??

Antifreeze?? What is this H.O.A.T. stuff that is 'required' by the manual?? I suppose we're supposed to buy this at the stealership as well?? It will all be changed out anyway, so I was just wondering. I assume that Chrysler has a good reason for this stuff.

I've always used Amsoil in my vehicles, just because I was an early on advocate of synthetics due to an aviation background. My old GMC Suburban had over 362,000 on the clock when I sold it, original engine, so .....Yeah, I'm sold on top quality synthetic fluids.

I see you're from Van Alstyne. My nephew used to be a forman at a ranch out that way, years ago. Lives in Tennessee now.

Thanks for the feed back.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure mine is an 02 and still uses the regular green ethelyne glycol antifreeze. Also as far as the fan shroud if im workin on my own stuff and have no reason to be in a hurry ill remove a few more things if it makes it easier on me. Oh and whats your nephews name and what ranch was it he worked for? I know plenty of ranchers and farmers out this direction.

-Jordan-

GWDriver

Reaction score
Jordan, his name was Scott Williams and I think it was one of the larger places up there. I could be wrong, but I haven't seen him in many years. I heard he might have passed on some time back. Ever since I lost his mother, my sister, there has been little communication with that side of the family.

Sad, but we've traveled all over the world for the last 35 years with Uncle Sam and there just hasn't been much contact.

As for the ethylene glycol, I've seen green and some pink fleet stuff, and propylene glycol. I just heard thet there is a special antifreeze for these trucks. Just trying to make sure i don't screw something up even worse.

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea that is true in 03 they changed to a special antifreeze, ill see if i can do some hunting and confirm what kind of antifreeze that is.

-Jordan-

GWDriver

Reaction score
Okay.............. Just returned from the 'Zone' and O'Reilly's. Checked out their antifreeze options and none of the ones on hand were HOAT type antifreeze. None were recommended for Chrysler products, even though they were ethylene glycol antifreeze. Each brand had their own additives/inhibitors and none of those were acceptable.

Make a long story short??

I'm on my way to the stealership or NAPA. Napa might have it on hand and it's closer to the house. If not there................. Oh well, my truck's worth the $$$$

BTW, any particular brand recommendations for a good new water pump for the Cummins?? I've only seen Duralast, Cardone and Murray.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced several of those pumps. Just remove the belt(That's the worst part) and then 2 water pump bolts. IIRC they take a 5/8 socket. No need to remove the shroud. Removing the alt will give you more room.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online