How do you remove the clutch master cyl push rod from the master cylinder itself?

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to replace mine today and just needed to know this little tidbit of info. I'm assuming just jerking it out of there isn't kosher. Truck in question is the 93 in my sig. Thx guys!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having done this it's not too hard, you may find it simpler to unbolt it from the fire wall first, though it's not 100% necessary.

I took a small plastic funnel (the tube portion) that was just big enough to go around the clutch shaft, cut it along the side and slid it on and over the rod. I then slid that down into the MC which spreads the metal retaining tabs open and withdrew the rod.

There is a small ball end inside the MC and small clips retain it so you have to spread those open to get the rod out.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Having done this it's not too hard, you may find it simpler to unbolt it from the fire wall first, though it's not 100% necessary.

I took a small plastic funnel (the tube portion) that was just big enough to go around the clutch shaft, cut it along the side and slid it on and over the rod. I then slid that down into the MC which spreads the metal retaining tabs open and withdrew the rod.

There is a small ball end inside the MC and small clips retain it so you have to spread those open to get the rod out.

That's a neat trick. Through dumb luck, I managed to pry th e thing against the side of teh housing and pop it out after some creative language, although I don't know if that would work again.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a neat trick. Through dumb luck, I managed to pry th e thing against the side of teh housing and pop it out after some creative language, although I don't know if that would work again.

I had to do one on a tow truck so I took apart an old one (FORCEFULLY)-cuss on a bench to see how to do it the right way while in the truck:sly!

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I tore into everything yesterday and got all my pedal bushings replaced, but I really need a new pedal assembly. But it shifts much better now, although for how long I dont know.

As far as the clutch MC rod was concerned, my dad and I tried everything in out arsenal to get that crazy thing out to no avail. Tried the funnel trick, various pieces of pipe(plastic & copper), the tip off a tube of caulk(this was the best implement we tried) but still no such luck.

Anyone know if there is a Ford Special Service Tool to release the rod from the master? I hate to junk a good master and slave that isnt that old just because I cant get the stupid pushrod out.............

mrwBronco

Reaction score
The Ford service manual says " CAUTION: The push rod is not removable after installing it in the clutch master cylinder."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp