Register to remove these ads

Thread: How do you remove the clutch master cyl push rod from the master cylinder itself?

Thanks

Default How do you remove the clutch master cyl push rod from the master cylinder itself?

Going to replace mine today and just needed to know this little tidbit of info. I'm assuming just jerking it out of there isn't kosher. Truck in question is the 93 in my sig. Thx guys!
    1993 F-250 4wd 7.3 idiT ZF-5 Dana 60
    1992 F-250 4wd 7.3 idi ZF-5 Sold

Thanks

Having done this it's not too hard, you may find it simpler to unbolt it from the fire wall first, though it's not 100% necessary.

I took a small plastic funnel (the tube portion) that was just big enough to go around the clutch shaft, cut it along the side and slid it on and over the rod. I then slid that down into the MC which spreads the metal retaining tabs open and withdrew the rod.

There is a small ball end inside the MC and small clips retain it so you have to spread those open to get the rod out.
    I am an Amsoil Dealer ask me for details....

92 F250 4x4
    RC (Crippled Hippo)
    May add the following...from other trucks
    Home built wood deck, 7.3/ZF 5sp, custom Turbo
    Champion Rad, TYT TH 9000 VHF radio Yeasu FT3000 2M, Braden ARMS3 PTO winch front, Ramsey RE 8000 winch rear, and MORE TO COME!

91 F350 4x4 RC AKA (White Rhino) + 93 F250 4x4 SC (Brow Bruin)...for parts + 90 Bronco AKA (THE TUG)
    ITS THE build path to a BIGGER Bronco SAY a SC 1Ton Bronco!

VE7LAA

AKA...Al or "Camo Pants"

It's TOO late to read the book on how to swim when the boat's going down

Quote Originally Posted by icanfixall View Post
    ... Everyone around me is flat ass useless.... A bunch of short bus window lickers........The amps will smoke the wire faster than a prom dress comes off in the back seat of a 55 chevy...
    Quote Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA View Post
    ..... I will light you up so bad you'll think God himself is coming for you! ....
    Quote Originally Posted by towcat View Post
    .. It's not a redneck hell-hole... it's a garden of inspiration!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by riotwarrior View Post
    Having done this it's not too hard, you may find it simpler to unbolt it from the fire wall first, though it's not 100% necessary.

I took a small plastic funnel (the tube portion) that was just big enough to go around the clutch shaft, cut it along the side and slid it on and over the rod. I then slid that down into the MC which spreads the metal retaining tabs open and withdrew the rod.

There is a small ball end inside the MC and small clips retain it so you have to spread those open to get the rod out.
    That's a neat trick. Through dumb luck, I managed to pry th e thing against the side of teh housing and pop it out after some creative language, although I don't know if that would work again.
    '92 f350 cc dually, 5 sp+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie , Solid Flywheel & Kevlar Clutch, 7.3 ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl Induction, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator,Evan's waterless coolant,Zero pressure system, MS Tech Fan Clutch, 16" & 10" electric pusher fans,Derale Electra-cool remote oil cooler, 4" exhaust,Dual Facet Duralift E-pumps, 150 Gallon bed tank from a Volvo semi, Amsoil bypass filter w/ Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel and Marine , Victor Reinz gaskets , Western Hauler bed, Warn M12000 winch, Per Lux fog Lights, Borgeson steering shaft, 1" hockey puck lift,Rear air conditioning, Air seat, Onboard air system with rear air bags with automatic level control,West coast mirrors, Bilsteins

* Life is like a crap sandwich... The more bread you've got, the less crap you have to eat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RLDSL View Post
    That's a neat trick. Through dumb luck, I managed to pry th e thing against the side of teh housing and pop it out after some creative language, although I don't know if that would work again.
    I had to do one on a tow truck so I took apart an old one (FORCEFULLY) on a bench to see how to do it the right way while in the truck!
    I am an Amsoil Dealer ask me for details....

92 F250 4x4
    RC (Crippled Hippo)
    May add the following...from other trucks
    Home built wood deck, 7.3/ZF 5sp, custom Turbo
    Champion Rad, TYT TH 9000 VHF radio Yeasu FT3000 2M, Braden ARMS3 PTO winch front, Ramsey RE 8000 winch rear, and MORE TO COME!

91 F350 4x4 RC AKA (White Rhino) + 93 F250 4x4 SC (Brow Bruin)...for parts + 90 Bronco AKA (THE TUG)
    ITS THE build path to a BIGGER Bronco SAY a SC 1Ton Bronco!

VE7LAA

AKA...Al or "Camo Pants"

It's TOO late to read the book on how to swim when the boat's going down

Quote Originally Posted by icanfixall View Post
    ... Everyone around me is flat ass useless.... A bunch of short bus window lickers........The amps will smoke the wire faster than a prom dress comes off in the back seat of a 55 chevy...
    Quote Originally Posted by LCAM-01XA View Post
    ..... I will light you up so bad you'll think God himself is coming for you! ....
    Quote Originally Posted by towcat View Post
    .. It's not a redneck hell-hole... it's a garden of inspiration!

Thanks

Well I tore into everything yesterday and got all my pedal bushings replaced, but I really need a new pedal assembly. But it shifts much better now, although for how long I dont know.

As far as the clutch MC rod was concerned, my dad and I tried everything in out arsenal to get that crazy thing out to no avail. Tried the funnel trick, various pieces of pipe(plastic & copper), the tip off a tube of caulk(this was the best implement we tried) but still no such luck.

Anyone know if there is a Ford Special Service Tool to release the rod from the master? I hate to junk a good master and slave that isnt that old just because I cant get the stupid pushrod out.............
    1993 F-250 4wd 7.3 idiT ZF-5 Dana 60
    1992 F-250 4wd 7.3 idi ZF-5 Sold

Thanks

The Ford service manual says " CAUTION: The push rod is not removable after installing it in the clutch master cylinder."
    Last edited by mrwBronco; 09-22-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    '99 F-350 7.3 6spd CC SRW 4x4
    '78 Bronco 400 NP435 Wheelin Rig
    '66 Bronco Restoration in process