Fuel Selector Valve Nightmare

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Valves are identical, just different sized fittings. 3/8" for the supply, 5/16" for the return. Since my truck was originally a gasser, all of the fuel lines are now rubber.

zloetakoe

Reaction score
FSV just got eliminated on my f250. truck still dies when I switch it to the front fuel tank. Any advice?

I'm wondering if I switched the lines somehow (any advice on differentiating front line source vs return?), or perhaps one of the fuel lines (metal from tank) is completely clogged and not allowing any fuel through.

Would love some troubleshooting tips.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have a picturw, somewhere, showing which fuel lines go where to/from the FSV. Do you think I can find it on my computer? NO, of course not. I'll look to see whether it is on the forum server. I know I've posted it before, so it might still be there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Found it. Now, lay your head over on your left shoulder, and enlarge the picture.

This is the FSV on my '92 CCLB dually. Hope this helps.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the original plastic lines are still there, BLUE 3/8 = DRAW and GRAY 5/16 = RETURN

zloetakoe

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture. It was basically as I remembered it. Return line was "on top" of the source line for both rear and front tanks. So, I've checked and everything was hooked up correctly. Why isn't any fuel from the front fuel tank getting to the electronic fuel pump? rear tank is getting tons of diesel to the pump, when I switch it over to the front, it peters off to practically nothing in a couple of quick seconds....

hmmm..may have to pull the assembly at the top of the tank and look at what the heck is going on.

gandalf

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture. It was basically as I remembered it. Return line was "on top" of the source line for both rear and front tanks. So, I've checked and everything was hooked up correctly. Why isn't any fuel from the front fuel tank getting to the electronic fuel pump? rear tank is getting tons of diesel to the pump, when I switch it over to the front, it peters off to practically nothing in a couple of quick seconds....

hmmm..may have to pull the assembly at the top of the tank and look at what the heck is going on.

There are a couple possibilities which come immediately to mind. The "showerhead" may have fallen off the pickup line in the front tank. I say that without reviewing the previous thread comments. The primary indication of "showerhead" syndrome is that the tank goes 'empty' at 1/4 tank. Another possibility is that that line is plugged somewhere between the pickup, in the tank, and the Fuel Selector Valve. It's not unheard of for the FSV to be plugged. Some members have taken them apart to clear blockages.

The fuel pickup and level gauge can be removed from the front tank without dropping the tank, if you're careful and patient. There was a quite recent thread on that.

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am remembering right, SplashZone is made by Rustoleum for use on oil rigs because they corrode mostly at the waterline, hence, splashzone.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Splaszone is some great stuff. It cures either under or over water. Mix it equal parts yellow and black material. Watch it turn green and its ready to use.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of years back, I had my original FSV fold on me so I blew the cash on the new dealer replacement job from Ford, and that POS lasted a grand total of 3 months before it went TU on me up north on a trip and left me with one tank. Barely made it home, I spent the whole trip hunting fuel stations. Insane with a 150 gal tank in the bed -cuss

The manual valves went in straight away after that..

Did you clean out your tanks and lines before installing the new Ford replacement?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone is going to throw away there FSV, PM me. I'll send you a prepaid shipping label. All you would have to do is get a Flat Rate USPS Priority Mail box, slap the preglued label on it and ship it.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bill 'smart man !
rebuilding the old valve sounds like a money-saving situation ...hey can you point me towards you're switching valve rebuild thread somebody mentioned earlier on ?!
I'm looking see whats inside one, or at least have an idea so I can clean it out.
mine is sticking!
sorry for the hijack!

alha

Reaction score
Good morning, I just found this thread while doing my search for a dual tank conversion solution, after stumbling across an OEM 6C3Z-9189-A Fuel Tank Valve Assembly on Fleabay. I have been planning this conversion for a couple years now, and have found the tank and filler neck I plan on using: http://biofuelstechnologies.mybigcommerce.com/excursion-underbody-1/ and http://biofuelstechnologies.mybigcommerce.com/products/Excursion-Fill-Neck-Kit.html.

I've been talking with them off and on for a couple years, and am almost in a position to pull the trigger, hopefully this summer. The main reason I am ok with putting so much money into this is because I plan on keeping this truck for the next 10+ years, as it doesn't get driven in the winter, it should last that long with some TLC, and you can't buy anything like it anymore.

Here is the last email convo we had about it, I was hoping to get it modded to allow it to have a in tank fuel pump, but that got ruled out. As we were talking via email you have to read it from bottom to top.

The tank comes with an installed sending unit... standard 240/33 ohm resistance.

If you want to keep it simple, just use your existing stock fuel pump, and just put together a switching solenoid... (or snag one out of a junkyard from some other 2-tank system).

Jay

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 10:25 AM, <> wrote:

Thanks for the info, that's good news. Next in is the fuel distribution. I'd rather not do a transfer setup, I'm much prefer a true dual tank setup with it being selectable. I'd need to somehow get a fuel level sending unit into the tank, but I can worry about that one, my bigger concern is how to select one tank or the other. When talking, it sounded like your system did that, but I don't need all the additional features that come along with it, as I am not going to be using grease in this, just diesel. Do you have any suggestions other than purchasing your entire system?

Thanks again!

On Thursday 02/05/2015 at 12:00 pm, BFT Customer Service wrote:

Been down the "one-off" path before, and it's cost-prohibitive for us and thus abandoned.

Every change made to the design requires our fabricator to go back to and recertify their drawings... so It's cheaper to just leave the unused tubing in there.

I would keep the fuel pump inline for this tank... I wouldn't drop it inside. (In fact the stock Bosch pump that Ford uses for the F-series trucks and Excursions is more than adequate for the job for pulling D2... ).

Jay

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM, <> wrote:

Hello, I spoke with you yesterday about installing your fuel tank and filler neck for my 05 Excursion. As discussed, I would be using it for diesel only, and would probably be needing a few customizations to the tank to allow a fuel pump to be installed instead of the heater, but as you are in control of the mfg process, hopefully this wouldn't be a big deal to do. If you guys could discuss it amongst yourselves, and let me know your thoughts, I'd appreciate it. I know this would be a one off for you, but it would be an interesting exercise, and may open up a new market for your product.

Thanks

Based upon what he said, does that sound plausible? And besides the valve tank and filler neck, I am going to need a few other items like lines, wiring, switches and such, would it make sense to try and find a dual tank 2005 F250/350 in the boneyard to pull out those bits and pieces, or is this going to end up being a mostly custom job? My hope is that it won't be, because at this point I am more into plug and play than being creative, I've been there and done that, and given the choice, plug and play in this situation wins every time for me.

I wanted to toss it out to the brain trust here, as I've been reading a bit, and there is a good amount of collective knowledge, so I have to think I am not the 1st person who has ever attempted it, and I'd love to learn from others experiences. Thanks guys!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your going to sink a lot of money into it doing that and the FSV is expensive ($260 dealer) besides they can be trouble some. Your fuel gauge from the front (new) won't register the same as the rear.
You would be better off just installing a 38 gallons in the rear. Usually the front is 17 gal and rear is 19 gal. so a 38 is larger than a double tank and a whole lot easier and less costly to install.

My guess is you would have close to $400 doing your double tank, unless you get all needed from a junk yard. The hangers might be a problem.

Attachments

• Fuel_ selector_wireing.jpg
    Fuel_ selector_wireing.jpg
    511.2 KB · Views: 38
  • Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

alha

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, I probably should have stated right up front rather than having it buried in the message is that this is a 2005 Excursion with 6.0 in it. It already has a 40+ gallon tank, I just want a lot more than that, and this is the only solution I have found. And, it is going to cost me over $2000 for the tank and filler neck alone, so $2-300 for the transfer switch is no biggie to me at this point. I would like it to appear (and Operate!) as OEM as possible, so I was wondering if in 2005 they had double tanks on the F250HD/350s that this truck is based upon, and if I could scrounge the boneyards or online to get most of the parts I need to install this and make it appear almost an OEM installation? I doubt anyone has done this before, so I am going to be the guinea pig, but, How Hard Can It Be? ;-) lol

At least the tank and the filler are designed to work together, and they are bolt in pieces. Well, the tank anyways, got to get the hole saw out for the filler neck. The rest of it is all up to me, but since this thing is based upon the F series, that should hopefully make it at least a _little_ more doable... Hopefully. But, I guess I will find out, because I am going to do it. Another 40 gals of fuel will be a great thing on a road trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online