Kent Moore J33300-A timing Meter

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just could not resist another great buy on a timing meter. This meter is the new upgraded kent moore meter. The other meters are known as the j33300 but the -A is the newest meter they offer. It retails for around $800.00 without any of the probes or attachments but you can buy all of those. The magnetic pickup for the dampner is $275.00. The lumiy probe is right at $300.00 and the clamp on probe for the hard lines is around $280.00 without the clamp. Thats another $70.00 or so. Check out the ebay listings for another meter just like this one for close to the same money I paid for this on. There is also a Rotunda meter with directions and all the proper attachments to work on our 7.3 engines. And... There is a brand new snapon MT1480 meter with al the same attachments several of us got then we bought our new meters that did not work on the 7.3 timing. Mine works fine for gasser timing but not on the diesel timing....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180681861203&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Here is the snapon meter on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Snap...Z260806222142QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
And here is the kent moore j33300-a meter like what I just bought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dies...Z160607928886QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools
Well hell... That sucks big... I will fix it.. Sorry guys...
This was the Rotunda meter with all the parts to do the pulse or lumi timing on our engines. They will relist this again...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0770149473&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I found this listed today on ebay. Its a complete meter with the ability to time by pluse and luminosity method of timing our engines. This is not a J33300-A so it will be difficult to get it repaired if ever a need comes up. Above I listed a J33300-A for comparisons...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...akeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I am kind of new to all the termonology involved with those timing meters. So i have a question. i looked at the snap on meter that is still in it original package. my question is from the information given in the product description does it come with all of the adapters and stuff needed for the lumy and pulse method?

Thanks

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
never buy a meter for more than $50 if it has a no return policy.
been down this road.wouldn't do it again.your odds of getting junk are much higher than getting a working meter.use caution.
if someone is selling a meter and offers a few days return policy,odds are they have a working meter to sell.otherwise they likely have junk to pawn off.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well if the meter works with the 7.3 black box attachment then its priceless but... No parts are available for it nor does anyone repair these meters. I searched all over the US and finally found the oem shop that did repairs on these. They could not fix mine. It worked fine for doing gasser timing but the black box 7.3 parts would not work. You can not buy any new lumi probes from Snapon. I have two of them for the mt 1480 meters and two for the kent moore j33300 meters. Kent moore still sells these lumi probes for around $300.00. I can make one suggestion about the meter your looking at. Buy it and test it but tell the seller you know there was several of these new still in the shrink wrapped containers that did not work. If this meter does not work you want your money back plus your shipping fees. Have this seller send you a return paid shipping label. I can't tell you this meter is good or bad but it sure looks like what several others here bought for $99.00 and free shipping from a seller in Texas. This even has the warranty tag credit card in the see thru plastic slip on the top top.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I can't tell you this meter is good or bad but it sure looks like what several others here bought for $99.00 and free shipping from a seller in Texas. This even has the warranty tag credit card in the see thru plastic slip on the top top.

Did it turn out good for them?
What is this 7.3L black box attachment you talk of?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No.... All 4 of us had meters that would not work on the 7.3 method of timing. the black box is the special attachment seen in the lower right side of one of the pictures. The meter I feel you would be better off buying is the Ferrit timing meter. Its a new item. Its not expensive but it needs a timing lite that can be advanced or retarded. Or just try to buy the kent moore j33300-a meter on ebay right now. Thats the newer type j33300 meter and its supported by kent moore. All the parts are available for it including the lumi probes. The j33300 is the older model and its tuff getting anybody to repair them. I found only one shop back in the mid west. The kent moore meters are eay to use. They do not require a timing lite but can be used with a timing lite too. To use this meter connect the dampner probe on the engine. Connect the pluse line clamp on the cleaned number 1 or 4 injector line. Connect the battery leads and press the lower rocker switch. then start up the engine and rev to 2000 rpm. You have two led displays. One is degrees of timing and the other is rpm. Its just that easy.. I actually have a viedo of how this works on here somewhere. Maybe someone can send you to it.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
ican: thanks for the info.
I think that i am going to look into the feret meter.
The timing light that i need in conjuntion w/ the feret, can i get that at a place like sears or do i need to go somewhere else?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That Rotunda meter is only going to time by the lumi method and its missing the dampner magnetic probe so... Its not going to work because its not all there. If you can find the magnetic probe you can use this but not in the standard timing called and accepted around here called pluse timing. Pluse timing is when you clamp a probe to the injector line. Lumi is when you remove a glow plug, incert a luminosity probe and time by the ignition flash. Its dependant to cetane of the diesel fuel and much harder to do than the pulse method where you just stick a probe in the dampner hole and clamp a probe on the injector line. Check what the seller has offered also. They are a fine ebay seller and I have bought many items from them with never an issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01