What are the symptoms of a bad power steering box?

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a problem with what feels like the steering binding up on my truck. all joints look good, no excessive play. Thinking its the steering box since it has never really had good powersteering. Took the pump off in the winter and cleaned it all up and re-sealed it. It is working good. Thoughts?

When turned to the left while moving the wheel tends to want to stay pointed in the left direction unless you pull it back hard right and then its fine.....never had a box go out on me before, so what do they act like?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could have air in the system yet. Turn the wheels fully right and left several times, hold it each way for a couple of seconds or until the pump squeals like a pig. Ever hear a pig squeal, not oink?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When my steering box was going out, it never made any noises, but the truck wandered all over the place by itself. It was a chore keeping it in the laneand when I removed the pitman arm the shaft wiggled back and forth a good 1/4", in other words, it was completely shot. I got a rebuilt box from Redhead steering gears. THey do nice work.A little slow on crediting core charges though.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could have tight or siezing steering components also.

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i agree with type4 i greased up my front end and it made a big difference. now i can turn the wheel with my pinky when the truck isnt moving. its the cheapest thing to try. just remember just two pumps is plenty

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its definitely wandering the road by itsself. As long as i'm driving in a straight line its fine, but the slightest steering input and it goes all herky-jerky. I've checked my steering and ball joints and they seem ok, really don't want to start tearing into that stuff as I have a dana 60 waiting to go in, but replacing the steering box has nothing to do with the axle so if it needs it, i'll do it.

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
well when you do the swap you'll have the drag link off the pitman arm so it would be the best time to replace it. mine leaks and i'm going to be swapping a d60 in this week and will replace the steering box at the same time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Yeah its definitely wandering the road by itsself. As long as i'm driving in a straight line its fine, but the slightest steering input and it goes all herky-jerky. I've checked my steering and ball joints and they seem ok, really don't want to start tearing into that stuff as I have a dana 60 waiting to go in, but replacing the steering box has nothing to do with the axle so if it needs it, i'll do it.

Yup, if you've got that rebound steering thing going on, then it's worn out. If you plan on keeping the truck, check out the REdhead steering gears. They cost about a hundred bucks more than what you will get at autozone, but, you also get a case full of real live bearings of top quality . They go in and replace any bushings and machine the casing out to accept a bearing and if a bearing is too small and wears too easily, they hog that out for a bigger one so the things will last. The steering is so smooth is like night and day.

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the steering wheel ever jump off center and feel stiff trying to return it to center?

I had similar issues and replaced my box, but it was not the culprit.

I see you have a 4WD, my u-joints were binding, even in 2WD, causing lots of weird steering issues.

I could not believe that a u-joint would bind up a 7,000lb truck doing 65mph...it sure did.

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
Does the steering wheel ever jump off center and feel stiff trying to return it to center?

I had similar issues and replaced my box, but it was not the culprit.

I see you have a 4WD, my u-joints were binding, even in 2WD, causing lots of weird steering issues.

I could not believe that a u-joint would bind up a 7,000lb truck doing 65mph...it sure did.

x2

The front axle u-joints have to "give" in order to for the steering to work smoothly, even in 2wd.

I have one that goes "pop" in my K30.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
My last steering box that went bad, was Grab Wheel, Spin until it catches go around curve.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
My "bad box":eek::rolleyes: had power steering turning right but manual turning left. I replaced the pump first but it wound up being the box.