Bouncing Speedometer needle.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok here is the newest issue my old 1990 F250 is having. It has an automatic overdrive transmission. It just started this morning and I remember reading several threads about that symptom. I can not seem to find them now how ever so I am looking for every ones current experiences with repairing this problem.

My truck has a new transmission in from about 3 months ago and I dont want to damage my transmission.

When I drive the truck, and I reach 40 to 55 miles an hour the needle bounces back and forth. Sometimes it settles down at 55 but eventually will bounce between 65 and 50.

Any advise would be welcome ...Thanks ahead of time.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Sounds like either the wires to the sender in the rear axle are breaking or the connection is dirty. Very common on vehicles with rear axle speed sensors. Get a can of electronic cleaner and go after the plug connections DO NOT put dielectric grease on them, that will burn out everything important upstream later on. then check the wires carefully for signs of breakage and weakening .

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
That ones a cable driven speedometer. Mine will bounce, and rattle every so often. It has something to do with the cable binding. May need to put some sort of lubrication in the cable.

duke3478

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can get behind the dash and at the back of your speedo, then lube from the top down; that's better.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct. It is cable driven. I removed the cable and lubed it. It seems to have a tight spot about 2 inches from the transfer case. I managed to get it through and test drove it. The speedo no longer bounces but it seems to read lower per given rpm than before. Granted it was dark and I was tired so I will know more tomorrow when I drive to work.
Tomorrows project will be to adjust my TPS.

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct. It is cable driven. I removed the cable and lubed it. It seems to have a tight spot about 2 inches from the transfer case. I managed to get it through and test drove it. The speedo no longer bounces but it seems to read lower per given rpm than before. Granted it was dark and I was tired so I will know more tomorrow when I drive to work.
Tomorrows project will be to adjust my TPS.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had this problem with my cable driven speedo T18. Never figured out how to fix it exactly. Funny thing is it is damn near spot on by the GPS when it does work.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My bad , I thought all teh e4ods had the electronic speedo. Yup, peel the cable out of the casing and if it's not coming unwound , grease it up good and slide it back in . If teh cable is coming unwound anywhere along it's length, replace it.