flywheel bolt torque specs for SMF

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
anyone have em? trying to get this thing back together but I dont know what to torque em down to. for a 7.3 superduty it says 90 lb-ft but that seems like a lot for these little bolts and I dont know if superdutys have the same size bolts.

please let me know asap. should've asked earlier, wasting daylight now.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
47 lbs is the torque for the idi flywheel bolts. Thats for the auto too. Make sure you clean the threads in the crank flange and use some thread sealant. Most will use blue loctite. Engine oil will leak out past these threads if you don't seal them. Be very careful about the bolt lengths. When I installed my new built BTS E4OD trans I had the wrong crank spacer from them. Having never seen or even knew of the need for one I tried to install the flexplate. Bolts went thru the flange into the crank bearing edge. It rolled the first thread on the bolt and the flexplate was not tight to the crank and spacer.....:eek:-cuss:mad: Had a real tuff time removing the damaged bolts without ruining them or the crank threads. Ended up cleaning up the crank threads easily but the bolts would not clean up so I ground off the first thread... Imagin replacing a crank because you ruined the threads. A crank that has been balanced to your rotating internal parts... whos gonna pay that labor bill plus parts.....:dunno:angel:

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright GAry, here's a question for you. Tonight ever flywheel to crank bolt sheared clean off. Upload a pic tomorrow.

What is the "IcanFixAll" reccomended methid to remedy this situation? :dunno

Board suggestions welcome, but you are one of the top few who fall into the "over engineered for correctness **** retentive" niche for me.

;Really:sly

ken74amx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tight! I have never torqued one in my life. I always gun them, but then again I'm a mechanic and I've been doing it for many years now. I'm sure Gary is correct. He is a man of great knowledge when it comes to these trucks.

mabc926

Mojo
Reaction score
I torqued my fly wheel down to 20 lbs and used blue locktite, guess I'm screwed.

But even at 20 lbs you feel like you're going to break the bolts off....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm getting conflicting answers put out here. So I will say it this way. The crank to flexplate or flywheel bolts (thats nine of them) are to be torqued down to 47 lbs per my factory international ahop manual. I have two of these manuals but they are out on loan at this time. Now if your refering to or talking about the clutch spring pressure plate to flywheel bolt torque I can't help on that without my manual. As for shearing off all 9 bolts....:dunno My best swag would be something didn't tighten up properly or the bolts were suspect and folded on you. This does happen but very very seldom happens. These pressure plate and crank to flex or flywheel bolts are a special hardened material and still available from both Ford and International. Its a good idea to replace them whenever a flexplate or flywheel is installed or removed. The sealant used by mny here is the blue loctite and its a great sealant and thread to fastener hold. Its easily broken loose when you remove the parts for work. Occasionally I have had issues removing my fan clutch after I use the blue on those fine threads but... I'm happy to add some weight to remove a tight fastener instead of having the fan clutch loosen up when these exstremely high compression engines stop when we shut down the engine.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
The kit I bought (which had new bolts) also said 47 ft/lbs. I used red loctite as I always do. I have about 2000 miles on it and the ZF5 with no issues.

About 100 of those miles are through 3 foot of mud on the side of a mountain in West Virginia! :)

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tight! I have never torqued one in my life. I always gun them,

SO did I...

You must be registered for see images attach

CLutch disk spring cup (?) wear

Flywheel...

THe new ones, which I bought at CAT.. are at 47 ft lbs.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I hope you have not installed those flywheel to crank yet. Those surfaces are well worn and needs to be honed with a stone. Use the same flat stone that one might use to sharpen a knife. Otherwise you are going to have gaps in the mating surfaces. Those will work loose again and then your back to broken bolts. A dentel pick is about the best way to back out the broken bolts if no sealant or loctite was used. If something was used buy a reverse twist drill bit and back them out that way.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto punch. Yes the surfaces were honed... Father In Law (you two would click) cleaned it up.