intercooler for cummins swap?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
im just wondering if i should try to find a factory for intercooler from a powertroke or if one of the universal ebay type ones would be better? i know some guys have used those on the IDI. any thoughts on a water-to-air intercooler?

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
FWIW - I found an intercooler for a 2004 Ford F250 on www.car-part.com for $210 from a local wrecking yard. Looked all over Ebay and couldn't beat that price once I paid shipping. I've seen a few other folks use this intercooler successfully as part of a Cummins swap so I figured to give it a try myself. Now if Destroked would deliver the adapter plate I paid for a couple weeks ago I could get started...

Nick

Last edited:

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
so a superduty one will work? cool. is it all metal or does it have plastic sides?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC the intercooler out of a Dodge will work as long as you don't have the wide radiator. I believe the 2nd Gen coolers will work.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder what Darrin Tosh did to Big Ed when he did his Cummins Swap. I know he added an intercooler which the Ford-Cummins donor truck did not have. It might be in his signature.

zebrabeefj40

Reaction score
so a superduty one will work? cool. is it all metal or does it have plastic sides?

According to a couple threads I found cruising other diesel sites yes the 6.0 intercooler will work. I can't find those threads now of course... :rolleyes:

The 6.0 IC requires that you have the narrow Ford diesel radiator (I've seen it commonly refered to as a 31" radiator vs. the 37" radiator). The mounting flanges on the radiator will require some trimming so the IC pipes will fit past the rad. To keep your A/C the A/C core needs to be moved towards the radiator. This lets the 6.0 IC fit in behind the grill. Depending on how the IC is mounted the back of the grill might need some minor adjusting too.

The 6.0 IC has plastic sides. The earlier 7.3 IC's are all metal. But then the 6.0 was designed to run twice the boost of the older 7.3 so... :dunno

Nick

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
i have a newer dodge intercooler sitting in my shed if you are interested and decide to go that route. I just made brackets for my intercooler last night..ill get some pics up asap

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I have one here from my 92 Dodge donor, not all that big but they are a Duralite and they are a top brand for intercoolers....I also have one from a Freightliner M2, it's a Behr and very heavy in construction....I will see what fits when I get to the swap into my 92 F350 and soon to arrive 2000 F250 2wd.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
ya the 2nd gen dodges looked like theyd fit. i have the 31" radiator so im good to go there. i found a few SD ones on ebay but they had the plastic sides. only reason im concerned is i have this weird feeling that i may be twins in my future! alien turtle, id be interested depending on what you want for it.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
ya the 2nd gen dodges looked like theyd fit. i have the 31" radiator so im good to go there. i found a few SD ones on ebay but they had the plastic sides. only reason im concerned is i have this weird feeling that i may be twins in my future! alien turtle, id be interested depending on what you want for it.

im not sure what they go for..let me dig it out of my shed and get you some pics to make sure it will work for you.

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
found a couple superduty all metal ones for around $200 on ebay. would a used factory one be better than one of the new universal ones for $70-130 with a bar and plate design?

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this is what i am currently installing into my truck. Iv heard some bad things about people saying they are junk... when i got it it doesnt look anything close to junk...so idk well see what happens..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350205007557&viewitem=

How did the CXRacing 31x12x3 intercooler work out in your application? I have a rotary pumped 12V and looking for an intercooler that doesn't require much modification for an 86 F350 front end.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a photo I pulled off the internet a while back, don't recall where or who's truck this is however it may help you.
You must be registered for see images attach