1989 Ford Radio

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 89 350, the light in the radio was burned out so I couldn't tell what was going on with it. I pulled the radio, cleaned it, tweaked it, replaced the bulb, got it going like it should, then decided I couldn't live with out a CD player and replaced it.

SO, I have a 89 factory radio in good condition. I don't imagine there are too many people restoring these things, people who would value a stock radio, but if anyone does need one, I can make them a really, really good deal! I just hate to throw it away, it works good!

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:rotflmao I had one eight track player for awhile but after it decided to digest my favorite tape (it was a tape of nothing but classic truck driving songs) I got rid of it. What really stinks is I've only been able to find a handful of the truck driving songs the tape had on it, on the internet which really stinks.

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
Hope this doesn't upset the OP, but I could chime in that I have the factory XLT Lariat tape deck off a 91 in perfect working order sitting in my garage.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good use for those old radios is to turn them into your shop radio. I once took an old radio, mounted it in a box mounted under the front edge of my work bench, and put a surplus power antenna in the rear corner of the same bench. It was a fun joke when I would put my hat over the antenna, and then tell somebody to put on the radio. You should have seen them jump! LOL You can use a spare battery as a power supply, or anything that makes 12 volts and an amp or two. including old PC power supplies, wall warts or just build your own out of an LM-7812. You'll need speakers of course too, but 2 will do. Just set the fader all the way to the front or back depending on which wires you use. I still have the AM radio out of my 69 Falcon hooked up this way in the barn.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no comment about the radio, but nice box truck.

I too joined the ex-1980's uhaul truck owners club for my IDI. Just a touch larger though.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I love my tape player, but I do miss it very much! My 89 F150 I drive now only has AM/FM.

Diesel F250.

You must be registered for see images attach

F150.

You must be registered for see images attach

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no comment about the radio, but nice box truck.

I too joined the ex-1980's uhaul truck owners club for my IDI. Just a touch larger though.

Quite a bit larger! Mine's small enough to use as a "Go to work" truck. Where I have to park is just so dirty, dusty, coal dust I hate to park my "Good Pickup" there.

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quite a bit larger! Mine's small enough to use as a "Go to work" truck. Where I have to park is just so dirty, dusty, coal dust I hate to park my "Good Pickup" there.

At least yours came with a radio. I got to listen to nothing but a terrible exhaust leak at the manifold for an hour and a half when I picked it up.

its awesome you drive it to work. There's a guy on pirate that drives his shortened 26 footer everyday as a work truck.

Flagship

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At least yours came with a radio. I got to listen to nothing but a terrible exhaust leak at the manifold for an hour and a half when I picked it up.

its awesome you drive it to work. There's a guy on pirate that drives his shortened 26 footer everyday as a work truck.

Like I said, I have no choice, it's too dirty where I park to drive my pickup. Besides, I put *way* too much money into the U-Haul to just let it sit. A little over 4 years ago, I moved from the East coast to Montana. This was in November and I had a bunch of pet parrots that don't do well in the cold. There was no way I could afford a breakdown part way. So, I had an opportunity to purchase this truck. I took it to the dealership where I bought my pickup, just about the best dealership I have even been to, and had them replace *everything* that needed to be replaced, and anything they thought might even remotely need to be replaced. When they were done, I had essentially a new truck, with a one year Ford warranty. When moving time came, I put eight thousand pounds of stuff in it, the rest in the pickup, and out we came, with absolutely no trouble at all. None!

I've since replaced glow plugs, a vacuum pump and fixed one flat tire. That's it! I've used it to go get some new furniture for myself, and for friends a couple of times. Mostly, I just go back and forth to work.

Love my IDI!

nsjames

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I have no choice, it's too dirty where I park to drive my pickup. Besides, I put *way* too much money into the U-Haul to just let it sit. A little over 4 years ago, I moved from the East coast to Montana. This was in November and I had a bunch of pet parrots that don't do well in the cold. There was no way I could afford a breakdown part way. So, I had an opportunity to purchase this truck. I took it to the dealership where I bought my pickup, just about the best dealership I have even been to, and had them replace *everything* that needed to be replaced, and anything they thought might even remotely need to be replaced. When they were done, I had essentially a new truck, with a one year Ford warranty. When moving time came, I put eight thousand pounds of stuff in it, the rest in the pickup, and out we came, with absolutely no trouble at all. None!

I've since replaced glow plugs, a vacuum pump and fixed one flat tire. That's it! I've used it to go get some new furniture for myself, and for friends a couple of times. Mostly, I just go back and forth to work.

Love my IDI!
that's awesome.

I'm doing much the same to my 1600, just in a barn. The alternator is out getting rebuilt now. I've got all the parts to do the rear driveline, and I located a new third with 4.30's to replace the 5.57 rear it has now.
Yesterday I de-greased it all so I could find and kill leaks when the alternator gets back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online