whats the legal bigger tire size in you"re state ?

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here in Washington we don't have a legal tire size limit, it's all about bumper height:

The maximum bumper heights will be determined by weight category of gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) measured from a level surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper. For vehicles exempted from the bumper requirement for the reasons stated above, a maximum frame elevation measurement shall be made to the bottom of the frame rail.

Maximum heights are as follows:

7,501 lbs. to 10,000 lbs. GVWR

Front-28 Inches

Back-30 Inches

Adding an additional bumper will not meet the above requirements.

Occasionally you'll see some pretty custom-fabricated bumper setups.

Mullis23

Mike
Reaction score
Here in Colorado they dont care where your bumper is. Your headlights can only be a maximum of 44 inches above the ground though.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bumper height here too. But their also somewhat slack on enforcement.

Most dailies run 35s-37s. Occasionally you'll see a weekend ride with 44s. I've seen one truck on the road with 46in claws.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
54" is the biggest legal tire size here and you can run 2.5 or 5ton as long as each wheel has a brake ie no driveline brakes

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow 2 sizes over that sucks
here its 28 inches front bumper 30 rear
before the 37s i was just on that now im problly 2 inches over
but its enforced like a law against jaywalking only used in emergencies lol
one local guy has a chevy on 54s with the bumpers tops at the top of the tire

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow 2 sizes over that sucks
here its 28 inches front bumper 30 rear
before the 37s i was just on that now im problly 2 inches over
but its enforced like a law against jaywalking only used in emergencies lol
one local guy has a chevy on 54s with the bumpers tops at the top of the tire

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
sorta tom.... 30 is the limit for front and back for trucks. 25 for cars. by pa law a suburban, bronco, blazer, or any of the like are considered cars.but normally the cops wont say much to a lifted blazer or the like as long as they are under 30 inches.

also for us tires can not stick out AT ALL. you must install flares. but the flare cannot be larger than 3 inches past the factory fender.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
o ya i forgot they did change it to 30 both when i got pulled over for it 28 was the front but thats hummlestown they are just looking for a fight

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
WOW, you guys have it easy!! If I am right NJ is a 38" maximum tire size and anything with more than 4" of total lift, including lift gained from increased tire size, is subject to a state tilt test. There they can fail your truck for dripping oil even though it has nothing to do with the lift in question. If your truck tips over, they are not responsible for damages:backoff. No tires past fender wells, mud flaps required, 48" headlights I believe, not sure of bumper heights. Oh yeah, no stacking blocks in the rear and naturally no front blocks, I can agree with that.

You wanna run 38's? You will stick out like a sore thumb and often see rolling cherries in your rear view. It absolutely baffles me how a 38+ tire can be approved by the DOT but you still can not run it in NJ.-cuss

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
..............is subject to a state tilt test. There they can fail your truck for dripping oil even though it has nothing to do with the lift in question. If your truck tips over, they are not responsible for damages:backoff.

.-cuss

You have part of the tilt test wrong

They put the truck on a hydraulic ramp. Attach a safety cable/chain to the frame of the truck. Then tilt the ramp to the spec degree. If the cain/cable is pulled tight, you fail. There is no chance of a roll over

marblecrusher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe max tire size around here is 52" but i dont know all the different heights to the head lights and such.

--Jordan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp