How do the caster/camber bushings work?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, while I had my truck apart I saw that it had this style of caster/camber bushing up front:
You must be registered for see images

First off, I wanted to replace it but advance auto parts doesn't even keep it in stock here.

Second, is the outer sleeve thing this bushing sits in supposed to turn also? Because if that's the case...holy crap what a stupid design, I don't think the one on mine will ever turn again. It's all rusted together. I managed to pop the camber bushing loose with my ball joint press but that's about it.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's no o'reillys anywhere around here.

All I got here is Advance, Napa (none of which are open past 5 or 6 pm), and an Autozone that is 20 miles away...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
OK, while I had my truck apart I saw that it had this style of caster/camber bushing up front:
You must be registered for see images

First off, I wanted to replace it but advance auto parts doesn't even keep it in stock here.

Second, is the outer sleeve thing this bushing sits in supposed to turn also? Because if that's the case...holy crap what a stupid design, I don't think the one on mine will ever turn again. It's all rusted together. I managed to pop the camber bushing loose with my ball joint press but that's about it.

There is no need to replace that bushing UNLESS your alignment specs are off. That one pictured appeares to be a neutral bushing, meaning it neither adds or subtracts caster OR camber. It just keep the ball joint dead center in the axle.

Yours may have a (+) or (-) caster and or camber. Meaning the hole will not be centered. Depending if you have saggy springs or possibly lifted springs will necessitate a + or -.

A POSITIVE camber slug will allow the tire to tilt IN at the top(typically a lifted truck w a TTB will need this). A NEGATIVE will allow the tire to lean OUT at the top(typically when saggy springs and TTB).

A POSITIVE caster will tilt the top ball joint towards the back of the truck(think of a Chopper motor cycle) and will help with wheel return. A Negative caster will straighten it up (think of a unicycle).

And NO, the round piece that the adjusting slug slides into, does not move.

NOW. They also make adjustable caster/camber slugs. Those turn inside them selves and allow the ball joint to move, in/out or froward/backward. I prerfer the adjustable ones over the fixed ones(like you showed) because there is "almost" an infinate adjustment and you can change the adjustment with the same bushing. The fixed one(the one you showed) is only good for one set degree. If you need a different degree, you need a different slug. The adjustable ones are more expensive, but also more versitle.

i hope i answered your question and didnt confuse you any more than you were

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes sense...I see now, because the bushings said, for example, "-3/4* to +3/4*" so you just flip them 180* to go from one setting to the other. Aha!

Now, there were some adjustable ones they showed at the parts store but I think they were for the 2WD trucks only.

I assume you're referring to the aftermarket adjustable ones?

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on the adjustable bushings. There are adjustable ones available for 4wd, and don't forget that not only is it nice to adjust them until you get the camber perfect, you can readjust them if/when your suspension sags or if you decide to install an add-a-leaf, new springs, etc.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the right one for a ttb 44 from moog is K80108, 0 to 3.2°... not too bad.

These can be adjusted with just loosening or what? Top bj right?

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You loosen the castle nut and physically turn the bushing. The adjustable ones have an ecentric bushing within the bushing so to speak, so you can adjust the offset until you get what you need. Hard to explain without seeing one, easy to understand once you take one apart and see how it relocates the tapered stem on the upper balljoint.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K got it I think, I saw a 'special' wrench for em, think I can do without? Thanks !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online