1985 Ford E350 Motorhome fuel tank size

J.P.

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the size of my fuel tanks, front and rear, on my 1985 Jayco 25 mini I believe they are stock to the chassis which is a Econoline 350 does anyone have an Owners manual? the original engine was the 6.9 diesel and I think the gauges may be off and obviously I don't want to run the out to see how many gallons they hold. As much as I can measure a rounded edge tank it looks like the front should hold 21 gallons and the rear 24 gallons any help would be appreciated

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
J.P.

We had an 85 E-150 Conversion Van. It had the 302 and dual tanks. If the gasser and the diesel had the same size tanks. I believe the sizes were:

Front ~21 gallons - Rated Size, it would hold a bit more
Rear ~19 gallons - Rated Size, it would hold a bit more

Between the 2 tanks, it was rated to carry right at 40 gallons. Which is about right, when I had the van (early to mid 90's) it was right at $40 to fill it up...... oh the days of $.99 a gallon for gas......

J.P.

Reaction score
Cool Thanks, that seems about right, you would think they would put in a bigger tank. I looked and there is plenty of room to add a tank or at least set one up to transfer from. I did finally get a hold of someone at Jayco today and they are saying 42 gals. total but could not tell me how much front and rear Thanks for the info

gatorman21218

Reaction score
be warned though, there is a little tube on the end of the sending unit that is very likely to break off and thus not be able to suck the last 3-5 gallons of fuel. This has happened on both my tanks.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Does your rear tank look like this?

You must be registered for see images attach

That's on my 1987 6.9 Diesel E350 26ft. camper.

It's only got that rear tank and the most i've put in it at once was 31 gallons American. I've never ran it more empty than that.

Just curious, if you know, what are you seing for mpg with yours?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Does your rear tank look like this?

You must be registered for see images attach

That's on my 1987 6.9 Diesel E350 26ft. camper.

It's only got that rear tank and the most i've put in it at once was 31 gallons American. I've never ran it more empty than that.

Just curious, if you know, what are you seing for mpg with yours?

J.P.

Reaction score
John mine is smaller (story of my life) and has indents where the straps are, someone can check my math the tank is aprox. 28x20x10 with rounded corners, I somewhat took this into account, I come up with around 24 gals. the front tank is 36x14x10 and my math says 21 gals. mileage wise I'm getting around 9 but, if you check my other posts I have been messing around with the pump and several other things, I am going on a trip to Nipton Ca. next weekend and I will see what my numbers are, I had turned the pump down 2 flats and now back up 1 flat blah blah etc.

J.P.

Reaction score
be warned though, there is a little tube on the end of the sending unit that is very likely to break off and thus not be able to suck the last 3-5 gallons of fuel. This has happened on both my tanks.

I may need to siphon dry when I run the tanks down and see what things look like Thanks

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
John mine is smaller (story of my life) and has indents where the straps are, someone can check my math the tank is aprox. 28x20x10 with rounded corners, I somewhat took this into account, I come up with around 24 gals. the front tank is 36x14x10 and my math says 21 gals. mileage wise I'm getting around 9 but, if you check my other posts I have been messing around with the pump and several other things, I am going on a trip to Nipton Ca. next weekend and I will see what my numbers are, I had turned the pump down 2 flats and now back up 1 flat blah blah etc.

Wow only 9mpg? I drive a steady 60mph on cruise control and I get 11-12mpg with mild winds and flat ground.

I've done a complete tune up on it 6 years ago (IP, injectors etc.) Made a huge difference in power and mpg!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
John... I wonder if that is a 33 or 38 gallon tank, like in a Bronco. That is what a lot of guys do to get a bigger tank.... either install a Bronco tank, or the kit from LMC.

I just wonder if the tank is the same dimensions, or close enough. My Excursion has a 44 gallon tank in the same location. Behind the rear axle infront of the hitch. In a pickup, you would loose the spare carrier (The EX it is inside, like a station wagon). But that big tank is nice on the road. Almost 700 mile crusing distance. But it really sucks when I pull into a filling station. I was nearly empty, and I mean empty, I do not have the broken pickup issue. Filled up on the way to work this morning. $175 later, I have a full tank of #2.........

I am still a little sore...... and I didn't even get a kiss.........

gatorman21218

Reaction score
John... I wonder if that is a 33 or 38 gallon tank, like in a Bronco. That is what a lot of guys do to get a bigger tank.... either install a Bronco tank, or the kit from LMC.

I just wonder if the tank is the same dimensions, or close enough. My Excursion has a 44 gallon tank in the same location. Behind the rear axle infront of the hitch. In a pickup, you would loose the spare carrier (The EX it is inside, like a station wagon). But that big tank is nice on the road. Almost 700 mile crusing distance. But it really sucks when I pull into a filling station. I was nearly empty, and I mean empty, I do not have the broken pickup issue. Filled up on the way to work this morning. $175 later, I have a full tank of #2.........

Hmm when I bought my truck it didnt even have a spare:eek:. I guess having a reading bed means I dont have a spare tire carrier underneath. Thats ok though as I have an 8x4 foot carrier behind the cab.LOL I bought a spare rim and have it floating around in the bed. It makes a good tarp hold down.

J.P.

Reaction score

Looks like a trip to the junkyard for a bigger tank and I will get back to you all next week on the mileage

hazardc

Reaction score
Let me know how the hunt for a bigger tank goes. I have the same basic jayco setup ('87 econoline) and would like to add a larger fuel capacity tank for the WMO blend i'd like to run and keep the other tank full of #2

J.P.

Reaction score
Let me know how the hunt for a bigger tank goes. I have the same basic jayco setup ('87 econoline) and would like to add a larger fuel capacity tank for the WMO blend i'd like to run and keep the other tank full of #2

Ditto Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnlx