460 gas mileage vs 5.4

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dunno on the mileage.both of the idis i had sucked on fuel.my super duty had new injectors,rebuilt IP,ats exhaust:)puke::puke:) and turboed

completely happy with my psds fuel mileage;Sweet

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Every fuel injected 460 Ford I have owned (2) got 7-9 mpg loaded or empty...
My dad's F-350 is Supercharged and Dual Fuel CNG/Gas. He gets about 9 mpg with it also, unless he puts his foot in it- then you can watch the fuel gauge drop.

My IDI gets 12-16 unloaded. 10-11 with a trailer in tow. My .02.:dunno

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich has a valid point here, unless you want the satisfaction of being able to say "I did that." Which sometimes can be priceless.

thats about the only reason to do it.but unless its done right,looks as close to factory as possible aint no sense in doin it.

sell the cummins.its gotta still be worth something?the truck you want at your price is out there.

but i think 7.3 psd or cummins is the way to go.the 7.3 was a pretty tough motor.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh i definetly agree. i want a 7.3 stroke. but i wasn at least 6 for the cummins. 235k. people are offerin my 3, 4 and 5 grand. i shouldve taken the 5 gs but i couldnt at the time. i dont think thats a bad asking price. only the doors are rotted, the rockers are just rusty. i can do all the work to this truck, then put the FASS pump on and an edge tuner on fuel econ. and monitor my fuel. but idk i dont think its worth it because i want the ford. im thinkin i can get the 460 and swap an idi in later. or the 5.4 and keep it stock. i think the 5.4 would be the way to go for now. then when im workin full time get a nice psd

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wouldnt waste my time with a spark plug breakin 5.4 either.im sure you can find a nice 94.5-97 psd for around 4,000.00.by the time you get done buying everything needed for a swap youre gonna spend probably close to what the truck you want is selling for.slap the cummins on craigslist for trade for a psd.you might get something.back in the day a swap was good but now its too expensive to do and so not worth it unless you want to be able to say "look at what i did".

another thing you need is a diesel radiator support.good luck finding an oem or aftermarket one.and good luck finding a good used one.the support for the idi is no longer available through ford.last time i called about one there was only 1 left in the country and it was almost 800.00 :eek: and there isnt an aftermarket one available.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i knew what i know now about the cummins when i built my psd i woulda never bothered with the psd and stuffed a cummins in it.and if money wasnt an issue it would get a cummins swap now

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i put it on CL for the psd. and psd's near me are fairly priced, if i had to do it again i wouldve held out for the 7500 dollar psd instead of the 6000 dodge. cummins is a great engine. mated to a **** tranny, in a **** truck. im gonna go for the 5.4 trade only cause i can probably sell that quicker than the cummins. then ill get the psd lol. so many steps. ill get a tuner for the 5.4 and squeeze some MPGs out of it.

mrbrink

Full Access Member
Reaction score
god. thats awful lol

awful was my last truck. It was an 85 chevy 4x4 dually with a stretched frame, 12' flatbed, 8" lift on 37" hummer tires. Had a very worn out 454 on 4 speed stick. Got a flat 3 mpg, even worse if I put my foot in it. I could go through 80 bucks of gas a day staying within 20 miles of my house :puke::puke::puke:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was thinkin about this again.if youre set on a psd swap look for a motor out of an international truck with the wire harness and computer on it.the computer and idm is one unit bolted to the valve cover.only thing youd have to do is figure out all the power wires,grounds and gauge wires.wont look how id want it to look,factory,but it would be close.run a 5speed and have no tranny issues to deal with

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you have moved past the idea of a 351, but commonly said on Fullsize Bronco, where the debate of 351 vs 460 comes up pretty regularlike....

351: the power of a 302, the mileage of a 460.

I would hold out for a 4.6 5 speed truck.. or find a superduty with a 5.4 and a manual.

The E40D isn't any better than the trans you are cussing in the ********.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the trranny thing is true lol but. yeah im ruling out the 351. i couldve got one with an f150 wrapped around it.. but id rather the 460. im probably gonna go for the 5.4, maybe the 460. dont know. but eitehr way ill be leavin my buddys 5.0 bronco in the dust