460 gas mileage vs 5.4

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no need to check my math.ive driven and owned 460 powered trucks for 10 years. before buying my first diesel.first was a 79 f350 4 speed 4.10s.55mph at 3000 rpm.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, 4 speed is the key there. multiply that 3000 by .78 (or using his math .76) and you will see that a 5 SPEED, would be doing 2240 at that same rpm.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how hard would it be to put a first gen stroker in here.. would the wiring plug and play... how would that work. im leaning toward the IDI but idk.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright. gonna hijack my own thread here. 460 to 351? 460 to IDI? 460 to powerstroke? which way is the best to go, and easiest. im thinkin 351. but id rather to the diesel

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
how hard would it be to put a first gen stroker in here.. would the wiring plug and play... how would that work. im leaning toward the IDI but idk.

A 460 to a powerstroke would be quite easy. BUT you need a complete 94.5-97 powerstroke truck as a donor. You can find a wrecked or rotted donor truck for 1000-2000

no matter what other engine you would put in there you would need a different trans

Last edited:

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why would i need a different trans, isnt the trans an E4OD? thats the pstroke trans as well. but im not interested in gettin the donor truck. id much rather do the IDI swap. probably a 7.3 non turbo.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 460 and psd have a different bell housing bolt pattern.they say a zf from a 460 can be drilled for the diesel bell housing pattern,dont see why the e4od couldnt be drilled as well

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alright. gonna hijack my own thread here. 460 to 351? 460 to IDI? 460 to powerstroke? which way is the best to go, and easiest. im thinkin 351. but id rather to the diesel

what are you lookin to do with the truck?idi parts are getting hard to find and soon will be obsolete.honestly i would not yank a 460 for an idi :puke:.dont get mewrong i love the idi but i really dont think youd be gaining more than a couple mpg,not worth the trouble.

definately wouldnt bother with a 351.unless its a cleveland.if your thinkin 351M give me your address so i can come give you a wake up slap.

psd or cummins is the way to go.psd will need a donor truck.buy one and take what you need,part it out and scrap it to get most of your money back

but to be totally honest i wouldnt even bother with a swap.id just go buy a truck with the engine you want already in it be cheaper and a hell of alot less aggravation.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
460 to IDI: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=34788
(using a ZF but E4OD should be the same, I have not attempted this)
I'm not sure if the powerstroke uses the same bell housing as the IDI, But as Brad has mentioned you will need the computer and wiring for a powerstroke, along with there is something in the instrument cluster that you supposedly need but I can't remember what.
460 is a big block, 351 is a small block so different motor mounts and smaller bell housing.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
but to be totally honest i wouldnt even bother with a swap.id just go buy a truck with the engine you want already in it be cheaper and a hell of alot less aggravation.

Rich has a valid point here, unless you want the satisfaction of being able to say "I did that." Which sometimes can be priceless.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the thing about it is im not buying the truck im trading for my cummins. which is too rusted for my taste. and from one guy i talked to he got about 18mpg in his idi. which is better than the 12-13 in the 460. idk what im gonna do. maybe the cummins. but id have to get the tranny, the mounts and ...? the idi would just be that and the tranny correct?

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My $.02

idi parts are getting hard to find and soon will be obsolete.honestly i would not yank a 460 for an idi :puke:.dont get mewrong i love the idi but i really dont think youd be gaining more than a couple mpg,not worth the trouble.
IF by "a couple" you mean 250% better mpg, then I concur

psd or (You realize, that "PSD" really stands for Piece of **** Diesel, right? )

cummins is the way to go.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and i guess i wanna build this. small lift. dont know yet. the fummins would be an awesome truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01