Register to remove these ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frame Off Restoration Cost?

Thanks

Question Frame Off Restoration Cost?

Just wondering, approximately what do you feel it would cost to preform a frame-off complete resto job. My truck doesn't need paint at all but, to make everything else right? Engine rebuild, trany rebuild, freshen-up the rear, sand blast and epoxy coat the frame, new body bushings, eplace all the fuel lines etc and any questionable wiring outside the cab, rebuild the drivers seat and on and on.
    Think it would cost more that what my truck sold for new > $20K out the door.
    *88 F 250 7.3 Super Cab XLT Lariat4X4...Original Owner, Cream Puff >AND Baby Moose Pump Equipped!
    *81 Corvette...Pampered
    *Harley Shovel 88" Show Stoper...WOW
    *BBC 468 Jet Boat...Gotta get Wet!
    *It's the Women that cost me $$$

Dunce
    Thanks

Is that with you doing the work or some one else?

You could do(All but the machine work) for about 8k

Paying someone else? About 50-75 per hour, you are looking at 15k

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_brad View Post
    Is that with you doing the work or some one else?

You could do(All but the machine work) for about 8k

Paying someone else? About 50-75 per hour, you are looking at 15k
    Unfortunately I don't have the required shop to do it, nor the time.
    Except the freshen-up on the engine and trany...some corners could be cut like > instead of purchasing "new" front springs, a good add-a-leaf would do however, all bushings would need to be replaced.
    Another, something like my PSP is fine however the gear-box would require a reman.
    *88 F 250 7.3 Super Cab XLT Lariat4X4...Original Owner, Cream Puff >AND Baby Moose Pump Equipped!
    *81 Corvette...Pampered

Thanks

Just my opinion, but I've resto'd a bunch of stuff and I've gotta say I was never happier than I was with a less than perfect "preventive resto-mod driver". You don't need to completely disassemble everything to get the big chunks off the frame and prevent future rust. As for the mechanical stuff: fix is as time permits, in the order that it makes sense and and fits in your budget. I appreciate show cars, but probably not in my garage.

These trucks were made to drive: give it a quick once over and keep driving it
    1995 F350 CCLB Dually
    One owner 94K truck, bone stock, needs some upgrades, I like this truck but if I don't love it after the appropriate upgrades I'm going back down into the basement

SOLD 1993 F250 Extended Cab Long Box, N/A 7.3, ZF5 lots of upgrades/trick touches, 252K and climbing, headed off to a new home just after Halloween, I already regret selling it

SOLD 1972 Pinto Drag Car, 427 cubic inch Cleavor engine, C4, narrowed 9", all the rest of the stuff you need to go 10.50s at 127 mph, sold in a temporary state of confusion

SOLD 1988 Merkur XR4TI, 5 speed, adjustable wastegate via Gillis Valve, front mount Rapido Intercooler, it's my 5th 2.3 turbo so I guess I like them

1987 Buick Grand National pretty stockish so far, it was the coolest thing on the planet when I was a teenager, now it's the coolest thing in my garage

2010 Ford Fusion, daily driver, comfortable and 30+ mpgs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,011 Times in 418 Posts

Ray, if your not going to do it, I'd certainly contact a body shop that specializes in complete restorations and get a quote from them. The problem that I generally have with anything from a paint job on up, is that you end up paying more for the work than the truck is worth, and if you get clobbered by some drunken idiot, your insurance will be worthless and you will need lawyers, guns and money to get your resto out of it. If your intent is to trailer it, and show it, then by all means, I think it is a safe investment.
    Owner, Conestoga Diesel Injection Our family - The Moose Truck - 1983 F-250HD, The Lady Moose - 1993 F-350 CC dually, The Moosestang - 1987 Bronco (1994 7.3L IDI), The Night Moose - 1995 F-150 (1984 6.9L IDI), The Iron Moose - 1986 F-250 EC, The Moose Wagon - 2002 Excursion, The Moose GT - 2008 Mustang GT 4.6L, The Moose Lodge - 1994 Wilderness 195R Serving the IDI community since 1997! Visit http://MoosePump.com or https://www.facebook.com/ConestogaDiesel

- Mel

Dunce
    Thanks

Just to give you an idea.

I restored my buddys 79 F150 for him. Frame off, new(used) cab, New(used) bed, original fenders, doors and hood. the truck just had a crate engine, front/rear axle,and t-case trans all rebuilt before he bought the truck, so they just got paint. So no real mechanical work was done, bet EVERYTHING was taken apart, sandblasted , painted and reassembled

I charged his $25 an hour. Labor came out to $7500. He has total of about 22k into the truck, including his 5k purchase price. It is a SHOW truck, and has the trophys to prove it, or a VERY nice sunday driver

here is the build http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/85...s-79-f150.html

Thanks

I seen that truck, its very nice...and with the license plate some douche actually thought thats what he had under the hood @ Bloom.
    88 RCLB F350 Custom 4x4: 7.3N/A, ZF hand shaker
    93 RCLB F150 XLT 4x4: 300 I6, E4OD, D44 SAS
    06 ECSB F150 FX4 4x4

Dunce
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Optikalillushun View Post
    I seen that truck, its very nice...and with the license plate some douche actually thought thats what he had under the hood @ Bloom.
    More than one Douche

Thanks

thumbsup

Just to give you an idea.

I restored my buddys 79 F150 for him. Frame off, new(used) cab, New(used) bed, original fenders, doors and hood. the truck just had a crate engine, front/rear axle,and t-case trans all rebuilt before he bought the truck, so they just got paint. So no real mechanical work was done, bet EVERYTHING was taken apart, sandblasted , painted and reassembled

I charged his $25 an hour. Labor came out to $7500. He has total of about 22k into the truck, including his 5k purchase price. It is a SHOW truck, and has the trophys to prove it, or a VERY nice sunday driver

here is the build http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/85...s-79-f150.html
    Man, You do good work.
    1993 F350 CC DRW D60 Divorced NP205 with a 6bt KDP killed, 3200 governor spring, Banks IC, Piston Pump, getrag 360 w/4.10, 5" Stacks , Manual tranny starting system "The Mel Mode" Love it every time Mel,
    Hydroboost brakes.

1987 GMC utilimaster step van with a 4bt (KDP killed) 3.9l,HX35 turbo, Piston Pump, SM465 + Ranger III overdrive splitter.

05 PSD f250 4x4 auto srw, coolant filter, CC gas vent mod.

1984 f250 IDI, Yes IDI. c6, 4x4, meyer plow, custom front springs, custom rust.

a BOOB Man

Thanks

there seems to be a real love-hate relationship going on with this truck
    Jared, the artist formerly known as Jred on the board. Be kind to the mods, they are all powerful!

94 5 speed, 4 door, 4 wheel drive NOW A TURBO with 195'ish in the ticker
    and my other loves.....
    79 Jeep CJ-7 t-18, D44 rear, Wrangler tub, and a fun loving 360 V-8 (engine and trans pulled and sold waiting for a 6.9 )

48 Willy's pickup 4 wheel drive with the Super Hurricane six shooter

Dunce
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jred View Post
    Thanks, it turned out pretty well

Dunce
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jred View Post
    I know. One day he(hammerdown) wants it gone, the next he is asking about restoring it

Thanks

I know. One day he(hammerdown) wants it gone, the next he is asking about restoring it
    Easy there DB...you're within distance of me dropping this thing on your lap for a frame-off
    Love/Hate...true.
    Hey, I bought her new and she's never let me down.
    All the time I'm so sick of paying the premium for diesel fuel...especially when this truck is my local, daily driver. Don't need the "big heavy" F250 expensive to run diesel anymore...unless I'm on I-95 it's no fun driving this thing around my area
    But then there's the side of me that thinks...(if) for a reasonable cost I could get her freshened-up to where she was way back when, I'd fall in love all over.

When visiting my first and unfortunately only BOOB Rally 2003 other owners were blown away at the condition of my truck AND that it was kept in original condition. I've always had a lot of pride trying to keep my stuff in good order. Heck, in 8 years I've only put 40,000 miles on her.
    At that Rally I believe it was brother Daren Tosh that commented (at that time) my truck should fetch and easy $7500 or more.
    Today, I probably spend more in fuel in one year than it's worth.

Difficult to sell because they're worth so little (even my creep puff) and difficult to keep because it's so old and like a senior citizen somewhat needy.

Trust me...if my property had land and this truck could sit in a nice garage to only be used for locally towing the boat...we'd die together.
    Last edited by HammerDown; 02-16-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    *81 Corvette...Pampered

Full Access Member
    Thanks

Hey HammerDown how about biodiesel or a WVO conversion? I can only afford my truck because I make my own fuel. Heck I probably would have a hard time keeping gas in a civic let alone diesel in an IDI or PSD.
    Truck: 1986 F-250 6.9L ATS Non gated turbo, 3.55s, T-18(that's right the C6 is gone)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel JD View Post
    Hey HammerDown how about biodiesel or a WVO conversion? I can only afford my truck because I make my own fuel. Heck I probably would have a hard time keeping gas in a civic let alone diesel in an IDI or PSD.
    Well, to paint a picture I live in a Town House, Vetts in the Garage, Harley's in the basement and BBC Jet Boat's in the back yard. I have absolutely no room.
    When I purchased the truck (1988) I set myself up with a huge oil tank in the nose of the garage to run heating oil. That never happened, heck, back then diesel was only .55 a gallon and heating oil was maybe .30cents?
    Years passed the tanks been long gone and other things have filled that area.
    *81 Corvette...Pampered

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast