Fuel water separator

dmaxjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a filter head from fleetfilter.com and run a water separator filter. I mounted it on the firewall where the original separator was.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
i bought my head from carquest. filter head was like 20 or so and it fits on the firewall but i mounted mine on the frame. use a purolator spinon with drain as my "pre filter".

have a racor too for 2 micron filteration and the stock 6.9 filter head on the motor.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.9 filter head is a different pitch and thread size so it's not as easy as using a 7.3 filter and a seperator bottom. Most eliminate the stock one on the fire wall and replace it with a water seperator such as a Racor.

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my filter has a water collector on it that that you manually drain by twisting the cap on the bottom of the filter. i have like 3 or 4 i can give ya if u pay shipping costs

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I'm running a wix 24770 base with a 33439 water separating filter.

Filters are cheap and the base was cheap.:sly

94turboidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what you mean........I kind of have a few plans up my sleeve in the next few years. I have a few hundred gallons of wvo but that stuff is almost getting cut throat to find anymore and I don't want to pay for it.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i am using the racor setup mounted in stock location. with my fenders cut out, it is a PITA to change. i am going to relocate it one of these days up higher. right now i have to remove the bolts that hold the unit to the firewall and then take off the filter.

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a great alternative. Its a water seperator and has a pretty good micron rating. (2micron iirc) Plus its cheap, bolted up in the factory spot with very little work and should help the more expensive primary filter last longer.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43243

Cool info! I'm going to be adding a couple additional filters to my 7.3L when I convert to the electric lift pump. I like the looks of this set up but you mentioned that the filter is a 2 micron filter? I'm just curious because in your link 87crewdually says they are 12 micron in his list of part #'s for the filters. I'd like to use one that is finer then the 7.3L originals 10 micron filter.:D

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a wix 24770 base with a 33439 water separating filter.

Filters are cheap and the base was cheap.:sly

Same thing I did, our napa had a filter friday so I got em' half off on top of that. Still have to install it though :eek:. Did you slap yours on the frame near the lift pump or what :dunno

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
Cool info! I'm going to be adding a couple additional filters to my 7.3L when I convert to the electric lift pump. I like the looks of this set up but you mentioned that the filter is a 2 micron filter? I'm just curious because in your link 87crewdually says they are 12 micron in his list of part #'s for the filters. I'd like to use one that is finer then the 7.3L originals 10 micron filter.:D

yep your right. I typed 12, but the 1 didnt show up. cookoo Sorry bout that.

Mine isnt too hard to get to once you take out the 2 bolts that hold the cruise servo and swing it out the way. Of course, I have long arms.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Same thing I did, our napa had a filter friday so I got em' half off on top of that. Still have to install it though :eek:. Did you slap yours on the frame near the lift pump or what :dunno

Mine is mounted on the passenger side frame rail right behind the cab. I'm running an electric lift pump and its mounted jut ahead of it on the inside of the rail. I chose to do it this way to eliminate the metal lines running from the stock water separator. Mine were starting to get to the point of near rusting out in places. I just ran the line back across one of the frame supports to the other side behind the water separator. I have few pics of the setup in my link in my signature.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Napaonline specs here: FILTER

Also for a primary filter you would use a higher micron rating like a 12 then your secondary would be your stock filter, whether its 12 (7.3) or 6 (6.9) micron. This way the primary catches the bigger stuff then the secondary stock will catch the rest. This gives you longer intervals instead of plugging up a super fine 2 micron filter all the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tottripp

Members online